Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A friend of mine recently picked up these 2 rabbits. He asked for meat rabbits, and they sold him these. While on my coffee table, still in the box, they started making MORE bunnies lol.

Depending on what breed they are, and if they are good meat sources, I may be interested in 3 of the newborns. (3 so I at least get ONE boy and ONE girl haha.

Can you guys let me know possibly what breed these might be? The gray/brown one is the female and considerably larger. The pure white one is the smaller male. Thanks in advance guys and gals :grin:

484680_10200291489270768_1128558313_n.jpg

·
Registered
2,797 Posts
Without a couple of other pics showing a better angle its going to be almost impossible to ID them. It would also be nice to know if they are full grown or if they are still youngen's. Looking at those pics its hard to tell if they are Mini Rexs' or Dutch or ?

Any Rabbit is edible. For Meat Production the smallest Rabbit I would go with would be the Standard Rex or the Florida White. Once boned out the Florida White will produce roughly as much meat as the New Zealands will. For larger Rabbits the New Zealands, Californians and Femish Giants are pretty popular although there are a couple of other breeds that fall in this catagory too.

I personally went with the Florida Whites. Smaller rabbit, smaller cage, less feed required to get them to weight and they produce almost as much meat as the typical New Zealand does. They were tougher to find and cost me more when I did locate them but considering the difference in cage size and feed requirements I thought it was well worth the effort in the end.

·
Registered
105 Posts
definitely need a side view pic of each for a decent answer.

but just from body shape from above... looks to me like the brown/grey one is an agouti flemish giant. possibly a cross of a flemish giant and a new zealand or other meatier breed. agouti isnt an approved show color.
flemish giants dont have a good meat to bone ratio but i hear alot of good things about new zealand or other meatier crosses with them doing very good. best seems to be 1/4 flemish giant and 3/4 new zealand or californian or other meatier breed.
FGs are all bones and fur. by the time FG litters are butchering age for meatier breeds is exactly when the FGs tend to just start filling out. they grow bone and body size and THEN grow meat and heft. so not as good if ya want meat kits into the freezer quickly and food efficiently.
i had 2 FG does and wanted to try the cross breeding as i mentioned but i ended up selling them because they ate so much and need large cages. i had a 3ft by 5ft by 2ft tall cage for each doe. and bigger ones would have been better for them.

the white one.... hm.. could be new zealand white. are the eyes pink/red? is there darkening on the ears, nose, feet? need a side pic for that one but by the looks of the shoulders from above, unless he is squished in that box (which he doesnt seem to be in the pic to me) then i'd guess new zealand white. NZWs are one of the main meat breeds. if the ears and nose get darker in cold weather and lighter in warm weather then its a californian, or a cross. calis are second main meat breed. alot of people cross calis and NZW so if there is very little darkening on ears and nose then it might be a cross.

here is a good picture and name list of rabbit breeds. some breeds that arent recognized by the main USA showing organization arent on it but most of those seem to be tiny pet breeds anyways that arent worth growin for meat anyhow.
https://www.arba.net/breeds.htm

weights, ages, side view pics, and face view pics would be best for the most correct help :)

·
Registered
335 Posts
How much do they weigh? How old would you estimate?

I raise rabbits for meat. Most meat rabbits are over 7lbs when fully grown

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sorry, I haven't responded earlier. I've been preoccupied with getting the garden going, starting seed, and sorting through wood to build hutches for the rabbits and to build chicken coops. I'll have pics in the next couple days

1 - 5 of 5 Posts