Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

41 - 59 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
21,643 Posts
Our below ground space is not really for Nuke end of the world . More for natural disaster. Civil unrest.
Even in a place like Wisconsin frost levels are really only 2-5 feet depending on area and ground type.
Big advantage to going under ground you can stay warmer.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I mainly want a bunker to protect myself from fallout and civil unrest. Ideally, no one should know the location of your bunker. I see no reason you couldn't use it as your permanent BOL as long as you have enough food and clean air to breathe.

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
I believe I would go nuts after a few days underground. Years ago I had a dream (about when Inor and I started house hunting), He said he found the perfect place and we drove out into the boonies and there was this little shack on top of a hill - slightly bigger than an outhouse. Inside was a door and stairs down. The place had loads of room and there were fifteen dogs or so. He said he had stopped to buy me a dog and couldn't make up his mind so he bought them all. Then he said look around I'm off to buy dog food and left. I woke up then slightly pissed at Inor.

·
Registered
3,366 Posts
I mainly want a bunker to protect myself from fallout and civil unrest. Ideally, no one should know the location of your bunker. I see no reason you couldn't use it as your permanent BOL as long as you have enough food and clean air to breathe.
problem is, you are sieged you are ****ed, no way to defend a underground bunker from a out side force...

a bunker as a bol, not a bad idea, a lot of "doomsday types" believe that the bunker is the only way to survive...

like most here I believe a bunker is a half measure, you can't live in a bunker, its harder to defend, almost impossible to escape and can.just as quickly become your tomb

it's each to there own, some bunker ideas are brilliant, (I still like the caravan in shipping containers) some are just destined to fail

·
Registered
80 Posts
Has anyone tried to carve one out of solid rock? I have about.....180 feet deep, of solid limestone, with about 1 foot of dirt on top. I broke rock for 2 days, with a 20 ton excavator, just to make my basement. Not good!!!

·
Registered
60 Posts
This is a ideal that I have been thinking on for some time. My plans is for a underground home/bunker starting with a strengthened arch building. Something like this.

uploadfromtaptalk1396307759807.jpg

·
8,979 Posts
From reading I did years ago, a corrugated culvert about 10 to 12 feed diameter makes a real good fallout shelter and because the top is curved it spreads out the over pressure of the blast and will stand up to a lot more over pressure than a flat roof design bunker. The floor can be elevated to give storage under removable plywood panels.
View attachment 4892 View attachment 4893

·
Registered
60 Posts
Atlassurvivalshelters.com
I thinking way bigger. As of right now my plans are for the main housing to be 20ft wide x 60ft long. But there are so many things to plan its almost overwhelming. Heating in the floor, emergency escape tunnel, a well inside the structure. Food storage area, ventilation, power, and on and on. Like Santa, making a list and checking it twice. Sure don't want to overlook anything.

·
Registered
419 Posts
If I ever win the lottery, I'd be looking at an underground house.

I'd build 10m below ground. main living room would be approximately 20m x 15m, which would house a sitting area, dining table. Kitchen area would be 15m x 8m. This would house a wood stove for cooking, the smoke pipe would be constructed in such a way that it has uses as a heater for drying clothes, heating rooms and heating water. Bathing and toilet area would be about the same size as the cooking area, and each bed room would be also the same size.

Electricity would be provided by solar, wind and hydro electricity. Running water provided by local streams, which would be boiled or sterilised before reaching the tap. Sewerage would be destroyed by incineration.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have recently been pondering this.

You can get an 8'-6" tall see container/shipping container for less than 2500. A good older camper that does not have slide outs, can be purchased for $4500 +_, if you look at them and measure carefully they will slide right into a shipping container if you cut the axle off you can slide them right in.

A hand pump well could be sent down through the floor, drill well of course before placing, line up would be imperative.

I am unsure of how much earth pressure a shipping container could with stand. I believe thirty inches of cover is sufficient for 10 miles from center of detonation. especially with a four inch concrete cover over the top.

A 40 foot container with a 24 foot camper would give you room in the front for 12 volt battery storage, switch gear and water containers.

Please comment on this idea, I have been pondering.
shippin containers are a good idea for above ground uses but if u want to put them in the ground. You will need to do some modifications. but if your willing to put the time money an effort into it. they can work rather well. use google to look up ( shipping containers as underground shelters). use pictures as well as links for this.

·
Registered
7,027 Posts
I would never have the air intake or outputs right above the bunker.... I would have them run underground to a fake structure....bird feeder, garage, etc...on the intake I would have a drain and a filter.

I would want two enter/exit points and they would be hidden/concealed

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
Since you can't build for all situations, I just keep sites that I have found in my head depending on the situation. Take for example WW-3 I would head to a place like this with as much supplies and prepared people that I could find. Like this abandoned rock quarry These type of quarries are all over Ky and there is one in Louisville Ky that in the 70's was set up and equipped to hold 50,000 people.

There are plenty of rock houses around that are in the middle of forest that can only be accessed by 4wd vehicles.
Dang! That's a pretty little dog house ya got there! It lacks a few creature comforts, but the bones are good. I've been dreaming of something like that myself. I, too, want it built into a hill for drainage reasons. I figure that it might take 1 inch steel plugs in the entries ( or maybe multiple plugs). The rest of it would be simple. Drive a well drilling rig in there and drive maybe half a dozen wells down to water. Take em deep so you can avoid radiation. Bring the wells up and use R/O to take out anything you don't want. Ventilation could be through holes in the roof or sucked in via the end plugs. I'd do my best to put diesel or cng powered generators in using rooms cut out of the rock. No sense in using the main tunnels, if you use side rooms, then you can contain explosion, fire, or whatever. You'd have lots of room for hydroponics. You'd probably want to trench to antennas for comms and tv...

It'sa lovely dream all right. We're just shy one lottery win.

Reactions: Zed

·
Registered
19 Posts
I have recently been pondering this.

You can get an 8'-6" tall see container/shipping container for less than 2500. A good older camper that does not have slide outs, can be purchased for $4500 +_, if you look at them and measure carefully they will slide right into a shipping container if you cut the axle off you can slide them right in.

A hand pump well could be sent down through the floor, drill well of course before placing, line up would be imperative.

I am unsure of how much earth pressure a shipping container could with stand. I believe thirty inches of cover is sufficient for 10 miles from center of detonation. especially with a four inch concrete cover over the top.

A 40 foot container with a 24 foot camper would give you room in the front for 12 volt battery storage, switch gear and water containers.

Please comment on this idea, I have been pondering.
Those containers were not designed to be buried. It could be done with enough work, but the shelter won't last a lifetime because of the steel reacting with groundwater and soil chemistry.

Please do it the "right" way with a block or poured concrete wall. Can you imagine if the thing collapsed while in the yard? Would it not leave you a sinkhole?

·
Registered
448 Posts
Those containers were not designed to be buried. It could be done with enough work, but the shelter won't last a lifetime because of the steel reacting with groundwater and soil chemistry.

Please do it the "right" way with a block or poured concrete wall. Can you imagine if the thing collapsed while in the yard? Would it not leave you a sinkhole?
Good coats truck bedliner in a final touch up with some tar and I'm willing to bet it would outlive your children

If your not handsome , best be handy!

·
Registered
19 Posts
That should do a good job of sealing the container from water intrusion and soil interaction. Have you any comments on reinforcing a steel container to withstand the additional loads of the earth, concrete, and tar? This is the part that seems too labor and cost-intensive to make a converted container worthwhile under most circumstances.

Furthermore, how would one mount a door?

41 - 59 of 59 Posts