Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, just curious.
Title: Idea Thread - Survivor? Bushwo/man? - New Name?

No offense, getting the info out is vital.
Due to certain video websites demonetizing anything remotely effective at conveying useful bushcraft skills...

Alternate names / titles:
  • Survivor?
  • Bushwo/man?
  • Wilder (please see below)
  • Wilderness Enthusiast?
  • Deep Hiker?
  • Trail ...
  • Trail Guide? (Not likely)
  • Trail Expert?
  • Ranger? (Not a Park Ranger, although I hope as many of these people are able choose to learn)
  • Anything else?
  • Again, Ideas please

Lives are on the line.

Yes, Prepper is a much maligned name.
While this may be just a temporary pushback, at the very least the info should get out there.

The entire problem with this situation is not the Preppers' fault, it's those that think they can force others to their will.

What alternative names and ideas are there for doing one's best to get the word out?

·
Registered
234 Posts
Hello all, just curious.
Title: Idea Thread - Survivor? Bushwo/man? - New Name?

No offense, getting the info out is vital.
Due to certain video websites demonetizing anything remotely effective at conveying useful bushcraft skills...

Alternate names / titles:
  • Survivor?
  • Bushwo/man?
  • Wilder (please see below)
  • Wilderness Enthusiast?
  • Deep Hiker?
  • Trail ...
  • Trail Guide? (Not likely)
  • Trail Expert?
  • Ranger? (Not a Park Ranger, although I hope as many of these people are able choose to learn)
  • Anything else?
  • Again, Ideas please

Lives are on the line.

Yes, Prepper is a much maligned name.
While this may be just a temporary pushback, at the very least the info should get out there.

The entire problem with this situation is not the Preppers' fault, it's those that think they can force others to their will.

What alternative names and ideas are there for doing one's best to get the word out?
Waaahhh..? Speed kills, Dell.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
That's one heck of a statement. Care to explain?
Yes.
Knowledge can save lives.

Skills when wielded with both know-how and functional experience can do even more.

If you knew someone was going to die unless someone else ensured another knew where to look, wouldn't you also want to aid them, if they choose to learn, when at least given the option?
At least one person is potentially in/famous for having great intent while lacking the ability to follow through: Chris McCandless.

If he had known the right questions to ask, would he have?
That's rather the point: as it would seem that the intent to "discredit" both anything and everything known as, "Prepping," is only likely to get worse...
Shouldn't there be some effort to educate as many as possible?

By at least presenting others with the choice for oneself to either gain insight, knowledge and information, or not, at least they were forewarned.
It is then said person's choice whether or not they choose to become forearmed.

·
Super Moderator
9,936 Posts
Yes.
Knowledge can save lives.

Skills when wielded with both know-how and functional experience can do even more.

If you knew someone was going to die unless someone else ensured another knew where to look, wouldn't you also want to aid them, if they choose to learn, when at least given the option?
At least one person is potentially in/famous for having great intent while lacking the ability to follow through: Chris McCandless.

If he had known the right questions to ask, would he have?
That's rather the point: as it would seem that the intent to "discredit" both anything and everything known as, "Prepping," is only likely to get worse...
Shouldn't there be some effort to educate as many as possible?

By at least presenting others with the choice for oneself to either gain insight, knowledge and information, or not, at least they were forewarned.
It is then said person's choice whether or not they choose to become forearmed.
And having the right name for a website, of which there are hundreds, will save someone's life?

So you're also saying that by knowing you, they will automatically know the right questions to ask? That normally happens through trial and error.

Yes, there are hundreds of websites out there trying to educate as many as possible. But, people have to be willing to learn. Normalcy bias is a powerful thing.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So you're also saying that by knowing you, they will automatically know the right questions to ask? That normally happens through trial and error
No.
At what point did I say that I was the key?

I'm just one person.
I'm not claiming that I and I alone am the source of info.
Why do people presume so much ego these days?

The key is not to become the one, the key in life is to get as many as so choose to the info that one seeks, whether oneself or another.

·
Super Moderator
9,936 Posts
No.
At what point did I say that I was the key?
You didn't. But you did allude to the fact.

I'm not claiming that I and I alone am the source of info.
Why do people presume so much ego these days?
Because there are many out there with huge ego's. And you did say lives were on the line. That means it's critical you get your message out there.

·
Registered
9,930 Posts
Chris McCandless / Alex Supertramp would still be dead even if "certain video websites" did not demonetize "anything remotely effective at conveying useful bushcraft skills". It was his choices that did him in, not Big Techs.

He had a map that would have shown him several options with which he could have extracted himself from his ultimate situation. Instead, he determined that going 'into the wild' meant 'chuck the map'.

"Demonetize" does not mean a video is deleted. The video is still there, and it would still run ads for the benefit of the platform. It simply means the creator was not able to collect a paycheck every month for the video as a result of those ads.

·
Super Moderator
1-6 months, natural disasters or economic collapse
10,604 Posts
You really need to refine your intent.
An umbrella term for a specific scope is not helpful

"Bushcraft" implies surviving in "the bush", or wilderness.
"Prepper" implies being prepared, though the term has attracted a negative connotation at times due to media misrepresentation.
"Survivalist" seems to have become a blanket name for anyone who thinks they will live off the land and survive the collapse of their society.

Specifically, what area are you trying to encompass? That will help with deriving a proper vocabulary for the topic.

Also, attempting to elicit an expedient reply based on the proverbial "life on the line" is hyperbolic and not necessary.
There are millions of lives at risk every day and this information won't save 95% of them.
Chill a tad.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts