Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

Ice Storms across the USA

5K views 42 replies 20 participants last post by  Smitty901 
#1 ·
Just saw the news today. Who among here are facing this threat? What are you doing now? What's the plan?

Be safe. God bless....

#6 ·
Same here, other than getting the feeding and stuff done, we have been inside most of the day.. Always fun workin outside in -20 weather. You know it's cold when your eyes start to freeze and so does the snot INSIDE your nose..lol

#4 ·
Single digits at night snow holding off until Sunday. Wisconsin winter time we expect it. If it gets real bad we limit travel.
People in this part of the country just deal with it.

#5 ·
We had about 6 inches or so of snow, followed by about 6 hours of rain, followed by a cold snap. The result was about 3 inches of solid ice on everything. I finally finished getting that cleaned up today. I also had to smoke a couple roasts today, and they had to be done today because they have been sitting a brine solution for 5 days.

Normally, I figure the perfect outside temperature to smoke meat is between 20 and 40 degrees. When I started the fire in the smoker this morning it was -12, so I was a bit concerned whether I would be able to get the temperature in the smoke chamber hot enough. But, by adding a bit of extra oak and cutting the pieces smaller, it worked out perfectly! It was a great lesson because in the past if the temp was below 20, I just postponed the smoking for a warmer day.

Reactions: inceptor
#7 ·
I live in the "banana belt" of Montana so the daytime temp was about 7 degrees, but the wind was blowing and so you don't want to know.

Fed the livestock twice today, normally they can just graze but when it gets this cold I supplement just because I feel less guilty.

I got 900 rounds of 62gr penertrators delivered today and am looking forward to causing global warming tomorrow, hehe.

#10 ·
Since you are relatively new to the tundra life, please allow me to make a suggestion. If you do not already have one, get a toque.

Mad Bomber Saddlecloth Bomber Hat with Brown Fur Mossy Oak Break-Up-442661 - Gander Mountain

Mine is a little different than this, but close. I was just standing around watching a fire burn in my smoker outside today (i.e. exerting no energy to keep warm) while it was single digits below zero and I was sweating in mine. It is the best cold weather investment you will ever make.

#11 ·
I have a few like that. Not same one but pretty close.. Man they work great.. I also have a few things ordered from Wild Things Gear. We got some high loft jackets and pants, a transport parka and even some booties.. They are supposed to be some of the best stuff on the market for cold weather with Primaloft.. I guess we will see pretty soon!

#16 ·
-10 last night,(friday 12/6) went up to +10 now,walked dog this am,cotton thermal top and bottom,(I like cotton as long as it does not get wet)fleece lined pants sweatshirt,and a Maine parka,and my rabbit fur lined mad bomber hat,with Cabelas snow runner boots.warm as toast unless you stand around in the wind......slippery as the devil out there still....we hate the wet system snow because,it comes out of the snowthrower like a slow constipated albino turd.lake effect is much easier to throw as it is very dry snow.

#18 ·
Was -38 last night. It's still -29 outside. Another day that is colder here than Antarctica.. I have a pair of silk long johns somewhere but haven't wore them yet. I will have to dig em out and try them. I do have some wool ones and then the polypropolene stuff that is tight to your skin and smooth. I usually use the polypro's and then put the wool or cotton ones on top of them. Then a white t shirt,long sleeve shirt. Then a battery operated vest liner I got from Volt Heat that I use when it is really cold or on the 4 wheeler in the cold. Then a long sleeve wool or flannel.To top it off is a big insulated jacket. Something else I like are the wool Buff's that I wear around my neck and can pull up over my face..Takes a "few" minutes to get dressed..lol

#19 ·
Roads are terrible, almost got in a head on collision on my way to work. So much ice, but I was about to pretty much de-ice everything around my home. We are warm, and safe. The only travelling I have to do is back and forth from work. I have plenty of food.

Just hate the work commute, but its only a 20 minute drive, thank goodness.

#20 ·
Roads are terrible, almost got in a head on collision on my way to work. So much ice, but I was about to pretty much de-ice everything around my home. We are warm, and safe. The only travelling I have to do is back and forth from work. I have plenty of food.

Just hate the work commute, but its only a 20 minute drive, thank goodness.
My commute last night took an hour and a half. Following tire tracks because you can't see in white out and praying the tracks you are following don't belong to some one in a ditch. Lord got me home though.

#21 ·
Been raining and freezing for 2 days now and I'm nice , warm, and comfy in my house no worries here ;).. Was Already prepped for it wooot!!!

#23 ·
Y'all are making me cold. It's 38 here (above zero) :smile:
Calling for snow tonight and ice/freezing rain tomorrow.
It's so nice to be retired. :lol:

#31 ·
Here in the DFW area of North Texas we have been slammed pretty bad. Many of the roads here are pretty treacherous to travel. I-35 was shut down from Corinth to the Oklahoma border Friday night...most a result of semi's jack knifing right and left. At least one of the major electrical companies was reporting 80K without power. Many folks how have car ports have had them collapse. On of the marinas here had a few docks collapse from the weight of the sleet and ice on them. I haven't been to the store yet but I am about to go just to see what kind of damage has been done to store shelfs since a lot of deliveries are not being made. Might top off on a few more gallons of gas while I am out just because I don't see this getting much better for several days.

We are at the edge where things usually don't drop far enough south to get that bad but when it does its usually pretty ugly when it does. As such most folks here seem to have felt like it would just be a 2-3 day event and then be pretty much over by Monday morning and that's clearly not going to be the case here. Very few people here have any experience driving on this stuff and that has made the road ways much worse than they had to be. There has been very little ice and sleet since early Friday morning but temps have never even made it close to 32 yet and it doesn't look like that will improve anytime soon.

#33 ·
I did a store run yesterday as much out of curiosity than anything. Whole milk was gone and low/non fat was pretty low. Bread was getting thin as were eggs and baby formula and diapers.

My production manager from work lives a couple of miles from me and just called to see if I knew where there might be milk. He had hit the stores over his way and there wasn't any. He said the Target store had been without power so long the employees were piling meat into carts and tossing it into dumpsters.

The hopsital called my wife in this morning. She said the roads are clear in some palces but a disaster in others, especially bridges.

#34 ·
My production manager from work lives a couple of miles from me and just called to see if I knew where there might be milk. He had hit the stores over his way and there wasn't any. He said the Target store had been without power so long the employees were piling meat into carts and tossing it into dumpsters.
Our refrigerator went toes up and died on us. We put some stuff in coolers outside and brought ice from outside into the dead fridge for short term storage. So far looks like we will be fine till we pick up a replacement.

#35 ·
Reading everyone's posts about the freezing temps across the country and watching the Weather Channel etc makes me realize how wussified many people are here in the southeastern US.

I've been fortunate to travel all of the US and half of Canada during every season and my respect level increases every year for those who survive and thrive winters in these negative temps.
Be safe everyone!

#37 ·
Here in the northern Shenandoah Valley we've got about 4-1/2" of snow on the ground. It's tapered off now but still calling for sleet and freezing rain this afternoon/evening. Not bad but there is a possibility of power outages. We're good to go here at home. Wood stove is cranking, we've got light, water, food.
My only concern is getting the shop open tomorrow if power is out or roads are bad.

#38 ·
Living in the upper Midwest, even bad storms are viewed different than other parts of the country.
For the most part we expect them from time to time. They happen before they will happen again.
Most of us are ready for them .
Modern snow removal,better cars have cause many to push their lucky and every once in awhile some pay a heavy price for it.
Power outages are the biggest problem. Truth is the power companies have darn few employees anymore . The system they use now shares crews and works well until a big storm. Then they are spread way to thin. Crews often come in from 2-3 states away. When that happens you know the more populated areas get taken care of first. Out laying areas are forgot about .
That small gassed up generator may not run the whole house but by rotating it's use you can save the food and keep the house warm .
Back up wood supply is always there. Longest we were out in one stretch was a week that was 1978.
The reaction here to a major storm that does damage is much different than in large Urban areas on the coast.
So far not much here cold but just a little snow. Not far from here a lot more snow.

#39 ·
Guess it would upset some if I said I went sailing today...

Ok, just for a few hours. It was too cold. Gets below 60 here and I freeze. Not use to wearing long pants. Lol.

Edit.... And yes, I've lived where it gets to -50. No thanks.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.