Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just saw the news today. Who among here are facing this threat? What are you doing now? What's the plan?

Be safe. God bless....

·
Super Moderator
9,641 Posts
We are iced in. I had to make an emergency food run yesterday when this started. The wife wanted pumkin pie. Once I got that she was good. Didn't even get out of the PJ's today.

·
Registered
21,643 Posts
Single digits at night snow holding off until Sunday. Wisconsin winter time we expect it. If it gets real bad we limit travel.
People in this part of the country just deal with it.

·
Registered
8,068 Posts
We had about 6 inches or so of snow, followed by about 6 hours of rain, followed by a cold snap. The result was about 3 inches of solid ice on everything. I finally finished getting that cleaned up today. I also had to smoke a couple roasts today, and they had to be done today because they have been sitting a brine solution for 5 days.

Normally, I figure the perfect outside temperature to smoke meat is between 20 and 40 degrees. When I started the fire in the smoker this morning it was -12, so I was a bit concerned whether I would be able to get the temperature in the smoke chamber hot enough. But, by adding a bit of extra oak and cutting the pieces smaller, it worked out perfectly! It was a great lesson because in the past if the temp was below 20, I just postponed the smoking for a warmer day.

Reactions: inceptor

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
We are iced in. I had to make an emergency food run yesterday when this started. The wife wanted pumkin pie. Once I got that she was good. Didn't even get out of the PJ's today.
Same here, other than getting the feeding and stuff done, we have been inside most of the day.. Always fun workin outside in -20 weather. You know it's cold when your eyes start to freeze and so does the snot INSIDE your nose..lol

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
I live in the "banana belt" of Montana so the daytime temp was about 7 degrees, but the wind was blowing and so you don't want to know.

Fed the livestock twice today, normally they can just graze but when it gets this cold I supplement just because I feel less guilty.

I got 900 rounds of 62gr penertrators delivered today and am looking forward to causing global warming tomorrow, hehe.

·
Super Moderator
9,641 Posts
Same here, other than getting the feeding and stuff done, we have been inside most of the day.. Always fun workin outside in -20 weather. You know it's cold when your eyes start to freeze and so does the snot INSIDE your nose..lol
I owned a small towing company (just me) in central Colorado. Working in -20 weather was what you had to do. I'm not sorry I'm back in Texas though. :D

·
Registered
8,068 Posts
Nothing like being on a 4 wheeler in 20-30 below.. At least I have some nice goggles and face masks..
Since you are relatively new to the tundra life, please allow me to make a suggestion. If you do not already have one, get a toque.

Mad Bomber Saddlecloth Bomber Hat with Brown Fur Mossy Oak Break-Up-442661 - Gander Mountain

Mine is a little different than this, but close. I was just standing around watching a fire burn in my smoker outside today (i.e. exerting no energy to keep warm) while it was single digits below zero and I was sweating in mine. It is the best cold weather investment you will ever make.

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
I have a few like that. Not same one but pretty close.. Man they work great.. I also have a few things ordered from Wild Things Gear. We got some high loft jackets and pants, a transport parka and even some booties.. They are supposed to be some of the best stuff on the market for cold weather with Primaloft.. I guess we will see pretty soon!

·
Registered
8,068 Posts
For a Florida boy, I think you will do just fine with winter. :)

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
I have a few like that. Not same one but pretty close.. Man they work great.. I also have a few things ordered from Wild Things Gear. We got some high loft jackets and pants, a transport parka and even some booties.. They are supposed to be some of the best stuff on the market for cold weather with Primaloft.. I guess we will see pretty soon!
Add some silk long johns and you are golden. Gotta admit, my time in the artic made me a fan of fan of silk long handles. You just feel so......pretty, lol.

·
Registered
8,068 Posts
I'm clueless....why silk long johns? I imagine the feel of silk - it's cool against skin.
Silk is warm as hell. Very expensive, but very warm.

·
Registered
2,702 Posts
-10 last night,(friday 12/6) went up to +10 now,walked dog this am,cotton thermal top and bottom,(I like cotton as long as it does not get wet)fleece lined pants sweatshirt,and a Maine parka,and my rabbit fur lined mad bomber hat,with Cabelas snow runner boots.warm as toast unless you stand around in the wind......slippery as the devil out there still....we hate the wet system snow because,it comes out of the snowthrower like a slow constipated albino turd.lake effect is much easier to throw as it is very dry snow.

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
Was -38 last night. It's still -29 outside. Another day that is colder here than Antarctica.. I have a pair of silk long johns somewhere but haven't wore them yet. I will have to dig em out and try them. I do have some wool ones and then the polypropolene stuff that is tight to your skin and smooth. I usually use the polypro's and then put the wool or cotton ones on top of them. Then a white t shirt,long sleeve shirt. Then a battery operated vest liner I got from Volt Heat that I use when it is really cold or on the 4 wheeler in the cold. Then a long sleeve wool or flannel.To top it off is a big insulated jacket. Something else I like are the wool Buff's that I wear around my neck and can pull up over my face..Takes a "few" minutes to get dressed..lol

·
Registered
320 Posts
Roads are terrible, almost got in a head on collision on my way to work. So much ice, but I was about to pretty much de-ice everything around my home. We are warm, and safe. The only travelling I have to do is back and forth from work. I have plenty of food.

Just hate the work commute, but its only a 20 minute drive, thank goodness.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Roads are terrible, almost got in a head on collision on my way to work. So much ice, but I was about to pretty much de-ice everything around my home. We are warm, and safe. The only travelling I have to do is back and forth from work. I have plenty of food.

Just hate the work commute, but its only a 20 minute drive, thank goodness.
My commute last night took an hour and a half. Following tire tracks because you can't see in white out and praying the tracks you are following don't belong to some one in a ditch. Lord got me home though.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts