Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I feel the need for a small axe, a really big knife, wait a hatchet! I’ve been looking around at hatchets, looking for a good one under $300. What’s your go to and why?

·
Registered
5,861 Posts
Only because I watched this video tonight and was unaware of this type of hatchet/ax, do I offer this up. The Francisca throwing ax.
I think it could be used for other things besides what it was originally crafted for...and they are still available.

Start just a tad before the 30:00 mark.

·
Registered
5,861 Posts
My go-to at camp and around the house hatchet, used almost daily is a True Temper Flint Edge with a 19" handle.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Mine is an Estwing, IMHO the best there is, cannot break the handle off.

About $40.00 for it.

My hawk is a 1980's Cold Steel one.

Big knife? I have a Cold Steel Bowie with a 12 inch blade.
+1 on the Estwing recommendation, I've had mine for years, well 2 actually. One Hatchet sized and another with a longer handle for camp chores and splitting elk sternums & pelvis' Never let me down and really holds an edge. They didn't break the bank either.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Only because I watched this video tonight and was unaware of this type of hatchet/ax, do I offer this up. The Francisca throwing ax.
I think it could be used for other things besides what it was originally crafted for...and they are still available.

Start just a tad before the 30:00 mark.

Dang scary thing, not quite what I'm looking for.

·
Super Moderator
3,052 Posts
I saw a really nice hatchet hanging on the wall at a Stihl dealer last time I was in to buy a chainsaw. I bought it on impulse. Haven’t used it much but so far it seems OK.

·
Administrator
14,707 Posts
Estwing is what I have.
Plus an old US Army issue from the tool kit of a Deuce and a Half truck. (Shhhh!!! Don't tell the government, they might want it back :tango_face_smile: )

Fiskars makes a great one as well.
Anyone who doesn't live in a townhouse in the big city might find Bailey's a great place to shop. I do!!
Especially those who understand such terms as logdog, peavey, etc. (Calling your name @Slippy )

https://www.baileysonline.com Geared to the professional, there are great products for homesteaders and partimers, too. Check out their hatchets and axes.

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
Estwing is what I have.
Plus an old US Army issue from the tool kit of a Deuce and a Half truck. (Shhhh!!! Don't tell the government, they might want it back :tango_face_smile: )

Fiskars makes a great one as well.
Anyone who doesn't live in a townhouse in the big city might find Bailey's a great place to shop. I do!!
Especially those who understand such terms as logdog, peavey, etc. (Calling your name @Slippy )

https://www.baileysonline.com Geared to the professional, there are great products for homesteaders and partimers, too. Check out their hatchets and axes.
That is an interesting website! I enjoyed looking around there. I learned that a "bark spud" is a thing! I have long wanted one of the Swedish axes, but have never been able to pull the trigger on one.

·
Registered
20,845 Posts
4 Things You Should Know About Slippy;

Thing 1; He likes ESTWING! (Has one more camp hatchet in a truck but too lazy to get it out for the pic!)
Thing 2; He USES ESTWING!
Thing 3: He should take some time and CLEAN HIS ESTWING stuffs
and the Thing 4 that you should know about Slippy!!

HE'S COOL!:vs_wave:

Estwing.jpg

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
4 Things You Should Know About Slippy;

Thing 1; He likes ESTWING! (Has one more camp hatchet in a truck but too lazy to get it out for the pic!)
Thing 2; He USES ESTWING!
Thing 3: He should take some time and CLEAN HIS ESTWING stuffs
and the Thing 4 that you should know about Slippy!!

HE'S COOL!:vs_wave:

View attachment 110799
Slippy at a minimum should spray some WD-40 on his Estwing stuff....:vs_wave:

1 - 20 of 36 Posts