Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Banned
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Normally at my local supply store you have to get there when the supply truck arrives and hope there is still ammo left when your turn in line comes. Monday is their normal devilry date and I was so busy I had forgotten to go. Tuesday evening we were in the area and I stopped by and they still had 22lr in 500 round boxes and small rifle primers. I've got my fingers crossed.

·
Registered
257 Posts
I've noticed my local Walmart having a little bit more on the shelves when I do my weekly shopping. Still not near what it used to be, but a little bit better.

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
I think what has happened is that many people with guns just took for granted that they will always be able to go to the store and get what they need. When the shortage occurred millions of people realized that they can not always be guaranteed to get ammo and without ammo their gun is just a fancy club. Even people like many of us on this site who already have plenty of ammo will probably buy more when the prices come down.
As many of us have found out, ammo is not only good to store for self defense but can be considered a tangible asset. I personally sold 5k rounds of wolf ammo to friends that were just about begging for it and I had already decided a long time ago that I wanted to replace my wolf ammo that I bought a long time ago at 100 dollars per 1000, so they were glad to pay 250 per thousand rnds and I didn't feel bad because that is about what it was going for before the shortage. Even 22lr I have a good store of but I never really thought that I would see a time that you couldn't get them, and now they seem about the hardest thing to get a hold of.

·
Registered
21,643 Posts
Some what but no were near normal.
little to no .22, 9mm what comes in sells fast little bet better on the 45 and 38's No 5.56 on the rack

·
Registered
4,071 Posts
I've been able to order whatever ammo I feel I need from online, the question is what are you willing to pay for it. Problem with ordering online is no matter how cheap it seems, by the time you add S/H it quickly becomes too $$$. I live fairly close to both Cabelas and Gander mtn, both allow to store pick up meaning free S/H. I usually wait for 22lr to be about 5 or 6 cents a round for a brick, over 10 cent is too much to pay for it.

·
Banned
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've been able to order whatever ammo I feel I need from online, the question is what are you willing to pay for it. Problem with ordering online is no matter how cheap it seems, by the time you add S/H it quickly becomes too $$$. I live fairly close to both Cabelas and Gander mtn, both allow to store pick up meaning free S/H. I usually wait for 22lr to be about 5 or 6 cents a round for a brick, over 10 cent is too much to pay for it.
I agree! I don't do business with stores that are over charging. I've purchased a lot of stuff in the past from Cheaper than NO ONE until they started taking advantage of the shortage.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
We still have organized flippers waiting at the sporting goods counter at Walmart. I refuse to buy from the flippers but if I have a day off I get some in your face satisfaction from beating them to the counter. I even had one time when the clerk tried to decoy me away from the counter. I stuck it out l left with three boxes .22lr (our limit here) his buds stood arguing over the last box. In the local paper you can see adds for for 500 rds of .22lr pictured outside of box $65.00 each.

·
Registered
904 Posts
.22 shells here in Northern California are impossible to buy at the local stores. I have been watching the prices online come down. CCI Mini Mags were selling for .40 cents then dropped to .29. Last night I was able to buy some for .12 which is still too much but the shipping was very cheap.

·
Registered
4,373 Posts
Bought 1,600 rds of CCI Minimag in ammo can for $100 at Bass Pro last week.
That's not bad with a can / box. Our wallyworld gets a 375 round count "AR Tactical" box it sells for $29.99 now. So your Bass deal was better as 1500 rounds would be $120 with no can/box.

9mm, 22LR are still reeling here, but 223 is coming back to earth, I no longer shoot 7.62x39 but its at $249 per 1000 again for cheap stuff, and I even saw 500 rounds of 45 ACP today for $195
which isn't bad at all.

·
Banned
1,972 Posts
In Georgia, I don't really see a shortage. What I see are people lining up as the ammo comes into Wallyworld. They bring the wife and can get six boxes between the two of them. There are six Wallyworlds in a ten mile radius of where I live. So, if you're a regular, you see a few of the same faces buying ammo every day. A few weeks later, they appear at the local gun shows. The 550 round box of 22lr they paid $21 and some change plus tax now becomes $70. Shortage?

I went to a gun show near Atlanta. At that one show, I counted over 250,000 rounds plus (using my calculator) on the various tables. The shortage would end right away here if people would simply quit buying ammo for a month. The profiteers would start worrying about holding on to so much stock and the price would start coming way down.

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
I'm slowly starting to see everything except .22LR in my area. For the first time since December my local Wally World has more than 270, 300 WM, and shotgun shells.

·
Registered
855 Posts
I think it varies by area, New Yorkers are still panic buying because of the SAFE act. As of Jan 2014 we must subject ourselves to a background check to purchase ammo and all purchase data will be sent to the state police to be kept in a database for a year, large scale purchases will be flagged by the SP but no one has told us what constitutes a large purchase. All internet ammo sales will cease in Jan also as all sales in NY state now need to be face to face. Luckily none of this affects reloading components and they did not make it a crime to buy ammo in another state and bring it in. However people here are still buying everything up as soon as it hits the shelves to avoid the SAFE act.

-Infidel

·
Registered
3,373 Posts
It may not be over just yet it seem the gov is now interested in buying up a lot (millions) of imported ammo such as 7.62x39 and 9x18 mak. Along with lesser amounts of calibers like .303 British.

When I start to see components come back I'll be a happy camper. It seem like it has been forever since I've seen a canister of H335, IMR3031 etc.

·
Registered
257 Posts
One of my local shops keeps a pretty decent amount/variety in stock, most is fairly priced (and a ton of cheap surplus). No luck on .22 or 9mm from them. I've had a lot of luck buying/trading with other locals, picked up some Federal 9mm for $15 since I couldn't find it better around here.

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
It may not be over just yet it seem the gov is now interested in buying up a lot (millions) of imported ammo such as 7.62x39 and 9x18 mak. Along with lesser amounts of calibers like .303 British.

When I start to see components come back I'll be a happy camper. It seem like it has been forever since I've seen a canister of H335, IMR3031 etc.
Now I'm pissed. They need to keep their damn hands of my beloved .303 rounds.

Assholes.

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
Doomsday, I think you are correct. Many of the hoarders have gotten themselves cash poor. My pawn shop friend says people are showing up to pawn ammo at less than .25 on the dollar. Payback is he'll.

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
People can say what they want about Walmart but they are probably the biggest distributor of ammo and guns and they haven't raised their prices exorbitantly like other places, and as long as they don't then other companies will be forced to bring their prices back in line. Eventually they will get their stocks up.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts