Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Administrator
15,422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Normally, I’m not a 9MM guy.
The only one I own is a post war Walther P-38.
A couple of years ago, in an effort to trim bulk from my pocket weapons (.357 mag J frame, 44 Special Bulldog) I broke my self imposed code against synthetic and bought a Ruger LCP2. I kinda like it.
Just now I was in the gun shop and spotted a Springfield Hell Cat.
I laid my little Ruger on top of it, and Shazam!!!! The SA is not much bigger, should still be pocket size. Holds 10+1 according to the salesman.
Anyone have any reviews? Are they good, bad?
Price was $499

·
Registered
10,872 Posts
Not familiar with it but bet it will work. The last few Ruger semi autos I was allowed to **** finger had too many safety features for me..hopefully your new one dont have too many. The magzine safeties drive me particularly crazy. Who wants a gun that wont shoot while trying to get a fresh magazine in it? lol.

·
Registered
190 Posts
The Hellcat has a very typical Springfield XD style trigger, some like it, I don't. too squishy.

The Sig P365 is the same size, 10+1 and has over a million of them out on the street. I carry mine all the time.
I have several other carry guns, but the Sig is the best.

·
Registered
12,477 Posts
It is similar to the dog p365. My son picked up a Hellcat a couple of weeks ago. Nice pistol. If your good with glock safe action triggers you will be good with the Hellcat. I can not say much about reliability in a small sample size but I like it. A lot of fire power in a small package. There are mags you can buy that hold more but extend the grip making it slightly larger.

·
Registered
12,477 Posts
Sig p365. New format and no idea how to edit

Reactions: MisterMills357

·
Premium Member
3,183 Posts
Click on the 3 vertical dots to the far right of the timestamp. Select “Edit”.

Members have unlimited editing of new posts for the first 24 hours after posting. Up to 10 existing posts (older than 24 hours) may be edited per week. More editing will be allowed as each of those 10 edits expires every 7 days.

·
Banned
Staying alive
515 Posts
We have a limit on editing our posts? That might not turn out too good.......

·
Premium Member
3,183 Posts
Not really. To the best of my memory, the policy around here has been that they frowned upon editing your post anytime after the next guy posted after you. That way it discourages anyone from going back and changing the meaning of their post after it has been read and commented on.

·
Banned
Staying alive
515 Posts
I hadn't really thought about that. I wouldn't go back and change anything I said. But I log on from my phone. Between the small keypad and auto-correct I always notice stuff that I screwed up in my posts whether it's a wrong word or sentence ended short.

·
Super Moderator
State of Grace
6,810 Posts
Not really. To the best of my memory, the policy around here has been that they frowned upon editing your post anytime after the next guy posted after you. That way it discourages anyone from going back and changing the meaning of their post after it has been read and commented on.
I think--I'm pretty sure but not 100% sure--that if someone "liked" your post and then you go and change it after the fact, then the like gets automatically canceled.

·
Registered
6,262 Posts
Picked up a Sig 365 SAS couple days ago. Replacement for the Kahr CM9 and PM9. Same size weapon with twice the rounds. Sight is unusual but I'm getting use to it. Like using a red dot sight with out the big stupid optic sticking out on top.

Stole it for $499 NEW. Couldn't leave it sit in the LGS case at that price these days.

·
Registered
Firearms & Self Defense.
4,614 Posts
Sig p365. New format and no idea how to edit
Use the 3 dots in the upper right corner of your post, to get an edit prompt. And then edit away.

·
Registered
6,052 Posts
@RPD, I only have two pistols that I'd trust for saving my worthless skin. I have one full-size Kimber in .45ACP, and a SIG P238 that goes where I am not supposed to take it, if you catch my drift.

I do have a stainless five-shot SW for .38 Spls. My original idea for buying it was that back in the day all revolvers had to be broken in until they were "smooth." I never did that to my revolver, and it hasn't jammed in +20 years or more.

·
Administrator
15,422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Since i wrote the original post, I had a paddle holster custom made for me to carry my K-Frame S&W Model 15 Combat Masterpiece .38 Special.
Handmade, beautiful tan leather, standard 15 degree "FBI" forward cant.
Being left handed not very often can I just buy off the shelf.
Got some Dickies 2X Tall workshirts that conceal a full size revolver or 1911 just fine.

Reactions: inceptor

·
Registered
6,052 Posts
@RPD, just a bit of advice. You mentioned that you're a leftie. So let's move this idea into some fairytale saloon.

You're finishing your root-beer float when suddenly the saloon was filled with Sicilian death threats. You rest your left hand on your left revolver and settle back knowing this was your lucky day. Suddenly, the best Italian gunfighter just north of Eau Claire sees your shootin' iron and draws down on you. He's a tad faster. Only one shot has been expended.

Now, why does my story make reference to only one shot? Sadly, this is just sad luck and the issue here pops up more than you might think. Yes, the fast draw guy hit you, after all, his right hand was aimed right at your left holster, your left pistol and sadly your left arm.

My grandmother was born in the 1880s, and she had lots of stories to tell. One time she mentioned a two-gun cowboy. I asked her why the guy had two guns. She responded, "Any cow-poke who relies on his dominant left hand is slower than any drunk my sister ever bedded."

Oh, my dad always told me to listen to his mother, that is, my grandmother. You should have seen all the stuff we found under her bed at her funeral...

·
Administrator
15,422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
That is why repetative firing work with your non dominant hand is recommended.
When lead starts flying. if you get hit in your "good" arm you just may have to pick up your dropped gun and use your other hand.

Reactions: inceptor

·
Registered
6,052 Posts
Well, RPD, yes, I do lean on firearms from time to time. Usually I embrace firearms when some idiot has decided to stalk me or believe I'm out to get him arrested.

But one thing I've found is that the distance to an enemy is pretty much the same for a handgun as it would be for a knife. There is some driving principle for aggressors to get close to their quarry--my guess is that this type of guy is usually pretty sloppy and untrained.

Oh, here's another brilliant move for guys who wish to die first. How come this type of guy cannot even sharpen your average knife? You should see the junk I've seen come to my house for a "polishing job." Yikes, what they need is really someone to describe what "sharp" is before they go to the tavern...

·
Registered
6,052 Posts
...and the world does not stop turning...

While I was sitting in front of the computer, my wife reminded me that my CCW license was up for renewal. I grabbed my card and began to dial lots of Wisconsin Department phone numbers. You see, in my state you must call into "Department Numbers" which can take most of the day. In fact, I was put on hold, and then told "someone will get back to you..."

Now, this might seem kind of mundane. Usually I would agree with you. Betwix and between the departmental numbers I called, plus the anxiety meds I gulp and an mad wife, I'm surprised I can function around any and all firearms.

I just found some lukewarm coffee so I'm good for another two or three anxiety attacks. But consider this, in getting a CCW license you actually lose your mind. In that case, why do licenses go to guys "on the edge"? It baffles me...

·
Super Moderator
1-6 months, natural disasters or economic collapse
9,950 Posts
Betwix and between the departmental numbers I called, plus the anxiety meds I gulp and an mad wife, I'm surprised I can function around any and all firearms.
Not to be rude, but if you're lucid enough to make this observation, maybe you should reconsider carrying one.
One mistake can last a lifetime.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts