Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

I May have a chance to escape California.

2K views 16 replies 10 participants last post by  PrepConsultant 
#1 ·
My mom may be coming to stay with my gramma. If that's the case, my house will be up for sale, and I'll be moving out of state.

Been thinking heavily on New Mexico, Kentucky, or Wyoming.

What do you guys think? Where's a cheap place to live, low property taxes, low/no income tax, and No gun control. What is a free state anymore?

I'm looking at spending about $100k on house/property. Hopefully I can get some acreage for that price with a stick built home.

Let me hear it guys and gals :)

#3 ·
It really comes down to where you can find work. Arizona is supposed to be the most gun friendly state according to the NRA but I would think that New Mexico has to be a close second. New Mexico has very affordable living with low taxes. Gotta warn you that many people that live here call it the land of Entrapment because it's an easy life that few seem to escape once there here. I can't speak for Kentucky or Wyoming because I haven't actually lived there only visited. Have you considered Texas? Good economy, low taxes, and about as gun friendly as you can get.

#4 · (Edited)
I wouldn't go over by the new madrid area at all. New Mexico is East of the rockies and way West of the Mississippi. Parts of the South are truly beautiful, but their money's going bad fast and too much population. There are 1 million people in the whole state of nm, half of those are at albuquerque...the land of enchantment is most enchanting just based on that. There is largely a live/let live attitude, but there are a couple spots to avoid. Albuquerque and Socorro you don't want and in the South demming has a reputation of "Arkansas police" ie corrupt, predatory and mean. But those are the only downs I know of.
Silver City, Santa fe, Taos are all good places. Las cruces area is good but way down by the border. There are lots of mid-range towns cost wise, so it kinda depends on what want where..

#5 ·
Arizona is a good place, but the wages tend to be low and the cost of living is a bit high.
New Mexico is a blue state. Nuff said.
Wyoming is great, but it might get to cold for a Kalifornia boy. Probably some jobs there with the oil. I would think property is cheap.
I've been to Kentucky and I liked it. Beautiful place. Don't know how they feel about guns.
I'd avoid Texas unless they were getting ready to secede. They borderline on a fascist state down there. The cops are jack booted thugs who thin they ARE the law. Their gun laws aren't as great as Texans like to think.

#6 ·
Thanks everyone for the tips.

As far as weather wise, I complain about the cold, but I really don't care. I used to live in Nevada and rode a bike when it was ~18* and snowing, with ~10" of snow on the ground. Cold dont scare me :p

I have family from San Fidel New Mexico, so I thought I'd head back there. They aren't there any more, all moved to California in the 40's or there abouts.

Kentucky because I have a friend who lives there. Says its ok. Figured I'd give it a try.

Wyoming because I can probably get about 10 acres and a stick built house for what I can get for my house out here. I don't mind cold and don't mind putting in hard work to live in a place like Wyoming.

I've just NEVER been comfortable in California. I feel like I need to be elsewhere

#7 ·
My mom may be coming to stay with my gramma. If that's the case, my house will be up for sale, and I'll be moving out of state.

Been thinking heavily on New Mexico, Kentucky, or Wyoming.

What do you guys think? Where's a cheap place to live, low property taxes, low/no income tax, and No gun control. What is a free state anymore?

I'm looking at spending about $100k on house/property. Hopefully I can get some acreage for that price with a stick built home.

Let me hear it guys and gals :)
Ever consider Alabama? Could use some more good preppers here.

#8 ·
Look at the "La Raza" State talking! If two more reds moved here we'd tip the scales - most of the "Blue" problem has it's headquarters in AZ sitting pretty and more demanding every day. You are right about lousy money and over priced. It's far from what it used to be. People kept coming from all directions until they got it ruined too...if you were going to be very rural and very North, it still wouldn't be much fun...

#11 ·
Yeah we had it down to three and may be in Montana before it's over. Colorado has some great places this side of the divide, but it's a mixed bag up there too and about where in the State you pick.
I'm afraid those of us who have enjoyed low population so far aren't going to be able to for long. The momentum of "in country refugees" is picking up and oughta be really something next year...

#13 ·
The first thing on your list should be how to make a living and the very next thing is to stay as far away from any population density. Anyplace East of the Mississippi is too dense. I know there are pockets that are real nice but when the rest of that population starts moving west you will be in a flood of humanity. After population density come major roads and highways. You want to be at least two days walk from major highways and at least on days walk from major roads. Then weather, earthquakes, volcanoes and such. Then, before you buy a place find out about the local folks. Some won't bond with anyone outside their church and that can make for a very lonely place to live. Others will lend a hand if you do and other will before you do. The people you live close to are very important and contrary to what I believed, just because they live in a small community doesn't mean they help each other.

#14 ·
No, some small places are predators and it's barely tolerable until your money's gone, then one way or another, you are too. That's a good reason to google moving to (place) because you'll hit discussion boards and stuff where if the place is a pit, people have been saying so. They all look nice from the outside, if that helps ahahaha!

#15 ·
It pretty much boils down to JOB MARKET. I know you are very determined and would do GREAT wherever you go.
My company is on a hiring freeze, but when it's lifted, we will hire more, and the company is actively looking for hard working people like you.
Check your PM's.

#16 ·
I'm not too too worried about job market. I am hoping to get set up fairly self sufficient, and basically do what I do now. I know, reach for the stars, but if I have everything I NEED the rest is a bonus. If I could find a place to go solar, rain water, grow a garden, have fruit trees, and have a job, even a part time job, I'll be set.

I pay damn near $1000 a year in property taxes for 1/3 acre. If I could find 10 acres for $1000 property tax, I'll be happy.

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I've been looking at craigslist (I knooooww) in different cities, seeing what's out there.

I went to Wyoming, and there's only one craigslist for the whole Wyoming hahaha

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.