Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It is the same shot gun we used in marine corp for mount in Iraq

I never seen a down side to 700 as I was in combat with it also it was better the m4

what are some of your words on the matter let me know

·
Registered
21,643 Posts
To the best of my knowledge they used Remington 870 ,Mossberg 590's and Benelli M4 (semi auto). The Benelli was not seen very often. And while not talked about a lot the seem to jam a lot
Shot guns were used in Clearing mainly with loads designed to take hinges off and door locks.
Then the M4 and Saw went in.
They were also deployed with less than lethal loads Bean bags.
Shot guns have there uses and are darn flexible with today's loads.
Triple O has been known to make 100 yard shots in the right weapon
Many a deer in modern slug loads have fallen at 120 yards with one.
Good 12ga is something everyone should have around.

Reactions: Hemi45

·
Registered
21,643 Posts
That was my point . Also the Benelli M4 was and is a failure.
I do have a Mossberg 600 was made for awhile named new haven they did not stick around.
The new haven was kind of a walmart brand

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I might for got confuses with the model number it has been ten years. I think it was a 500 mossberg or the Remington 1100 ,870 models I only used it for couple of months in Iraq

it was my bad brain fart guys

·
Registered
21,643 Posts
Is the Savage/Stevens 320 pump a decent 12gauge?
They have been around awhile not a industry name like Remington or Mossberg but when the price is right they are just fine .
Everyone has figured out how to make a pump work well anymore. Even the mossberg maverick model 88 at 159-189 is a darn good 12ga pump.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I would appreciate hearing from any of you who used a shotgun in the military--what was the role of the shotgun? In what scenarios would an operator want a shotgun?

(By way of background to my question, I use a Mossberg 500 as my primary home defense firearm, but find shotguns are often disparaged on Internet forums. Just looking for more data as my preps evolve.)

·
Registered
921 Posts
Tunnel rats.

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
We used them for room entry and building clearing. We also found they were useful for, umm, "crowd control". In certain situations with a layered defense from a fixed position they are useful as a sentry weapon as well.

·
Registered
21,643 Posts
Shot guns were not abundantly deployed. With modern loads they were used to weak or take door hinges/locks off .
Used in some cases as crowd control with less than lethal loads. Building clearing was and is still done with the Saw249 and M4.
Shot guns and hand guns are not primary weapon in the US infantry.
They have worked on the deployment of shot guns many times and it has always come up short. The Benelli M4 was suppose to be an answer but it failed in the real world.
The newest idea has been around awhile the M26 Modular Shotgun .
http://kitup.military.com/2012/02/army-fields-shotgun-101st-airborne.html

While it plays well in the movies and sounds sexy shot guns are not combat weapons.
When not being used in breaching and crowd control they are mainly deployed in close quarters only and even then not that often.
The breaching loads are very effective When used properly. But they are issued in addition to other weapons not a replacement.
When we turned in the old Winchester shot guns you would be surprised at how good a condition the were in from lack of use.
4 man fire team ( In some cases M9 are issued also)
2-M4 (Some cases one M4 maybe swapped for a M14)
M4 with 203 (203 is 40mm grenade launcher who the heck needs a shotgun)
SAW 249 (may at times be swapped for a 240)
No one is giving any of them up for a shot gun
Keep in mind what a combat fire team does and what you will be doing is a different world. You will not have the equipment they use. No one is swapping a SAW 249 for a 12ga shot gun. Except the air force when they are bored and ride around shooting dogs.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Combat shotguns

The ultimate? AA12
"The AA-12 can shoot 40 20-caliber balls in a 2 3/4″ shell that creates a 16 inch spread over 150 feet. It's capable of firing 800 rounds in four seconds."

The classic? Winchester Model 12

Maybe the first combat shotgun I believe. NICE because unlike modern shotguns that are made specifically so you can't do this, you could just hold the trigger back and every time you pumped it, BOOM! EAA makes a very nice, precise copy of it today.

·
Registered
2,417 Posts
What are peoples take on these cheaper brand shotguns hitting the market lately? I own some very expensive shotguns that remain safely locked in a temperature controlled safe. The cheaper shotguns I own are H&R single shots, Remington 870's.

Some of these cheaper pump shotguns hitting the market are attractive as throwaways or trunk guns.
982 Hawk 12 GA 3" Chamber 18.5" BBL Shotgun w/Ghost Ring Sights #SGN-HAWK982
981R Hawk 12 GA 3" Chamber 18.5" BBL Shotgun w/Picatinny Rail #SGN-HAWK981R
CAI PW87 (1887) Lever Action Shotgun, 12GA, 20'' Barrel, New.
CAI Catamount, 12Ga Pump Action Shotgun, Lynxx, 18.5 Inch Barrel, New.
Tristar Raptor Atac Semi-Auto Shotgun, 12GA, 20'', New.

Anyone own one of these?

·
Administrator
15,103 Posts
Tunnel rats.
Are there tunnels in iraq and Afganistan?
Reason I ask is because the tunnels in Vietnam were way too small to use a shotgun. A tunnel rat was a small guy with a flashlight and a 45 automatic. And BIG cajones.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
What are peoples take on these cheaper brand shotguns hitting the market lately? I own some very expensive shotguns that remain safely locked in a temperature controlled safe. The cheaper shotguns I own are H&R single shots, Remington 870's.

Some of these cheaper pump shotguns hitting the market are attractive as throwaways or trunk guns.
982 Hawk 12 GA 3" Chamber 18.5" BBL Shotgun w/Ghost Ring Sights #SGN-HAWK982
981R Hawk 12 GA 3" Chamber 18.5" BBL Shotgun w/Picatinny Rail #SGN-HAWK981R
CAI PW87 (1887) Lever Action Shotgun, 12GA, 20'' Barrel, New.
CAI Catamount, 12Ga Pump Action Shotgun, Lynxx, 18.5 Inch Barrel, New.
Tristar Raptor Atac Semi-Auto Shotgun, 12GA, 20'', New.

Anyone own one of these?
Those are really good prices. The last shotgun I bought was a 870 at walmart for only $289 though. Worth the extra couple bucks because of parts interchangeability and availability imo. Plus the old police 870s and 500s are widely available used. Budsgunshop.com gets a giant batch in every couple months or so.

·
Registered
21,643 Posts
Are there tunnels in iraq and Afganistan?
Reason I ask is because the tunnels in Vietnam were way too small to use a shotgun. A tunnel rat was a small guy with a flashlight and a 45 automatic. And BIG cajones.
We know that shot guns were not used for that no sense in arguing it here.
Heck now day we send the remote in.
Shot guns just are not used in infantry units much.
You will sometimes see them carried around in head quarters units .

·
Registered
24,399 Posts
We had Winchesters at my duty stations in the army. I was an MP. We didn't use them to blow off hinges, crowd control or any of those things. They were to be used to dispatch aggressors who were near items that didn't need to be punctured beyond the storage container. Broken Arrows require a lot more paperwork when items are damaged.

As just a grumpy old civilian, I prefer my model 500. Lighter, and works just as well.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts