Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
4,373 Posts
We were looking over some numbers in our class of future cops this week. There are close to 800,000 people in LE in the US. I suspect at least 1% suck at it or worse. That is 8,000 bad cops. This means 1644 of them are on the street or in service every hour of every day. I'm sure glad there are many more good ones than bad.

·
Registered
6,086 Posts
I am pretty sure you are right!

·
8,973 Posts
I've been lucky, as a civilian and paramedic I've only run into one LEO who suffering from "I'm a cop, and you better know it." All the rest have been great men and women, and I' proud to say I knew them!

·
Registered
6,086 Posts
I am new to the area and getting to know the LEO in the area. I have been told by a couple of the sheriffs that there is a city cop (just one) that has an attitude problem but I haven't met him yet. I did get pulled over the other night for a tail light that was out - it sure was! He sent me on my way when I told him I would fix it when I got home. That was a city cop that stopped me at the edge of town on my way home. He was nice enough but a bit skittish - younger guy and probably didn't know what to think of a guy with a CPP.

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Well I just don't trust anyone that has been empowered by the state to take the civil rights of people away. My sister is a 911 dispatcher and my BIL was a Federal Cop both of them have told me never invite a police officer into your home. There is no need for them to come inside unless you called them, even then it is questionable of why they would need to come into your home.

·
Banned
1,895 Posts
dsd this is a bit like my experience with being told if a police officer wants to talk with you just leave if you aren't under arrest.

I've communicated with police far more times than I would have liked to, (I treat them like I do everyone else) I'd like to think, and in general this is how it goes.

Cop: You are strange, is there some reason I can arrest you?
Me: Leave me alone.
Cop: Say that again and I'll beat your a$$ suck it.
Me: I said leave me alone.
Cop: Let me see some ID.
Me: Am I under arrest?
Cop: Show me ID so I can run you through the system.
Me: No, how about you tell me what I did.
Cop: *gets on gloves*
Me: That is threatening behaviour generally getting gloves on is an indication of potential assault by police.
Cop: It is just procedure.
Me: Ok Ok, how about you just run my name through your system (by this point they are harassing me and threatening me)
Cop: Thanks! Lets add to his file. Lets see here... oh hes a threat and dangerous and always costs us tons of money, write ups reports and court appearnces. Uh lets go.
Me: WTF.

Note I am always acting pro bono when this stuff happens but the state of law enforcement is generally oppress the populace and force conformity that is all it is these days. (atleast that is my experience)

It hasn't always gone so well. I think there are some cops that do care, some that toe the line, and others that are leatherheads. More or less I think it comes with the occupation, but it is like that will all professional classes that are treated as privileged. That is the problem imo, but that is the way it is.

It is all due to the superiority complex psychology in some police, but my experience is that police lie, and will act dishonourably to "win" at a game they are playing or abuse their purpose to give other people advantages unlawfully by depriving your rights without legitimate cause. I don't trust police in general due to past abuse. I won't say all cops are bad, but imo the leatherheads ruin it for the good ones. They would rather resolve problems physically than through communication. That is the #1 problem with cops. I think there are some situations that physical use of force is warranted where someone is in danger, some cops use force to "win" their game, or force compliance even though there are no lawful grounds to oppress or suppress the person.

That is the problem, that and bad laws or laws that contradict with fundamental or constitutional rights. I'm not anti cop I think they have a purpose of good in society but they shouldn't have powers other people don't have. I am libertarian and I think that everyone should be treated equally including cops. I can understand good policing to protect society, but when it is politically motived or an abuse of process to "win" their game it ruins the profession.

That and the problem of police believing or acting on information provided by other police. Some Police lie and that makes all police who use reports of other police potentially faulty.

We can only hope that there are more good cops and no bad cops.

·
Banned
1,895 Posts
PS if someone in your home makes a 911 call invite them into your home if you want your door intact :)

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
Most cops I have run into have been very polite and nice. Of course I live in suburbia and there isn't much here to put them on edge.

One strange encounter was a couple of years ago when we had our house on the market and Inor was out of town. I answered the door and there was a male and a female cop there. She asked if I was okay. I said yeah, sure what's the problem. They said they had a 911 call from my house. Nope didn't call. Showed them my cell phone and they checked the landline phone and took a walk through the house. No problem. I learned from them that a cell phone can give an approximate location and someone may have called 911 from the park behind our house. No big deal. The guy was even interested in the house until he saw the listing price.

Another time there were several cops trying to get a wayward deer back into the park and off the street. I was watching them and mentioned that a few firecrackers would send that deer back into the woods pronto. He said yeah but firecrackers were illegal but sure wished he had, say, six. A few minutes later I went out the back and said gee, I just found these six firecrackers in the park and since you are here can I turn them in to you. Yeah sure. Then in a quieter voice said thanks. He and two other cops set them off and the deer went to the wooded area of the park quickly.

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
Well then I just remembered we did have our little felon from the sheriffs department. She stole money from some fund to gamble. But she is now gone.

·
Registered
574 Posts
I agree Mrs. Inor... most cops outside of My former home town have been of the non- pedophile, coke sniffing, vcr stealing variety. WHich puts them in a much better category than the previously mentioned scum bags.

and no...I was never a victim of them...and to prove it..you can't get in the army with a murder conviction on your record.
Theres only a record if your caught and I know they have taught you better since then.

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
Last week I had to be at work at 4:00 AM, which means I leave the house around 3:15. This happensa every other week so it's not out of the ordinary. As I approached the stop sign that's about 100 ft from my alley I pretty much did the rolling stop routine. Instantly there were lights on behind me from the cop sitting under the shadow of a tree out of the street lights.

I had my license and insurance ready in my hands which were at the 10 and 2 position on the wheel when he walked up. I get the ususal, "Do you know why I stopped you?". My answer was I suspected it was the almost stop at the stop sign. His reply was that was part of it but he really wanted to know if I was interested in selling my Camaro because he had the prefect motor to drop into it back in his garage, and he had seen mine running around town for awhile now. I told him I was only the 2nd owner, and I had known the car since it was bought off of the lot. I might part with it at some point but not right now. He handed me his card and asked me to let him know if I changed my mind, and to watch those rolling stops.

We're pretty fortunate in our town. Our PD has been known to bring treenagers who were being stupid, but not hurting anyone or anything, home to their parents and explain the situation rather than arresting said young and dumb teenagers. While they are pretty quick to issue a speeding ticket (which is pretty hard to argue against) they are polite, approachable, and engaged. As a town we also foot the bill to have an armed cop in every single school we have, which is several. I'm happy for their presence.

Reactions: Deebo

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
Frankly almost all contacts that I have had with police for many years, have been professional and polite. Perhaps that's because I am polite, have my driver's license, proof of insurance, and vehicle registration ready, my hands on the 10-2 position, and if it is dark outside I have the dome light on so that they can plainly see everything inside. I don't yell with them or give them a hard time. I also admit it when I know that I am wrong. I am an adult. If I am doing 45 mph in a 30 mph zone and the cops catch me, I take responsibility for my actions. Also, I don't get pissed at the cops, I get pissed at ME. I'm the one who screwed up.

I am not naïve or stupid enough to believe that all cops are good, nor do I believe that all of them are bad. I think that bad ones are a minority. I also think that if you act like a giant rectal passage with a cop, they are much more likely to respond in kind.

·
Registered
2,702 Posts
I have met quite a few,most good people,few bad,the bad ones deserved a prison stay with COP tattooed on their forehead.

·
Registered
928 Posts
Sad to say but where I live I have only met 1 good cop... He was my next door neighbor and not a cop in my county. Every one of them around here have the Judge Dred syndrome going on. I know there are some good ones out there and I wish I could meet them so I wont feel so anti-cop, But I live in Ca where cops like to beat people for no reason.

Doc

·
Registered
5,423 Posts
I'm a good cop. I encourage anyone who has preconceived notions about cops, good or bad to take the oath of office as a full time Officer or reserve Officer. If you can't do that for some reason take a ride along. I think many of you would truly be amazed. We need more good applicants, people who want to improve the profession and their respective communities. We need more people to help hold Departments accountable too. If you see misconduct of any kind, pick up the phone. When you look at your local Police Department you are looking at a reflection of yourselves. If you don't like what you see, change it.

·
Banned
23,899 Posts
It isn't the individual that bothers me, but the system. There's no reason to retype that which has been hashed and rehashed, here. Now, place bad people in police officer positions and you have problems that reach far beyond just the bad guy's reputation. Then again, it can also be argued that bad guys wouldn't be interested in peace officer positions, but the good guys would still look forward to serving the community.

Now, are there coveys of bad guys in uniform? Danged skippy. Take Auburn, Alabama, for example. Former Auburn police officer alleges ticket quota | AL.com

Last month, my son was stopped by one of them for running a stop sign. He ran it, after he came to a complete stop and waited for two pedestrians to cross in front of him before proceeding. To add further reason for anger, after citing my son, the cop ran the nearby stop sign and didn't use his turn signal.

CSI, there is no phone call to straighten out Auburn.

·
Registered
21,643 Posts
I worry about what LEO are being lead to think their duty is. Lines that were once well drawn are now being wiped out. LE agency are starting to see themselves as some para Military unit and acting like those you see in movies. Seems most want to be some black boot storm trooper.
Acting like everyone has broken the law just have not been caught yet so we are justified in doing anything we want. Sad but it is like a lot of tv shows and movies.
You are more likely to have involvement with LE today based on PC or political agenda than a real crime. DA's are not interested in crime. in many cases. They deny it but LE is prohibited from enforcing laws in many protected class cases. Just a fact we see it all of the time.
Let a good LEO step over that PC line and he or she is GONE.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts