Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, my name is Chris I am new to prepping I am wanting to get in to it because of how the world is today is there any things I should know beinging knew to prepping things that you wished you knew when you started or things to stay away from thanks for all feed back

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Guns and ammo
Food
Water

in that order
BoF
Well I think I am good on the guns and ammo but for food is there any way that I need to store the food like I know not in wet locations and stuff but to keep the food good is there any way to store if you make it last longer

·
Registered
46 Posts
Hey, my name is Chris I am new to prepping I am wanting to get in to it because of how the world is today is there any things I should know beinging knew to prepping things that you wished you knew when you started or things to stay away from thanks for all feed back
I would take into consideration things that you enjoy. People have a tendency of focusing on food, ammo, medicine, etc. It's also good to include entertainment. Books are really good. Double as something to burn for fire lol I would tally how many times you eat a certain food and then stockpile the ones you eat often as well

·
Registered
458 Posts
Avoid getting caught up in the "must have" tacticool pricey gear.

You can get top end field tested gear at a good army surplus store for a fraction of the price you'd pay for top end stuff.

If you need to outfit a camp set up. Craigslist is an excellent spot to buy vintage Coleman camp stoves and lanterns for cheap. Focus on the stuff made in the 70s that was made in the US or Canada. They are way better quality than the offshore crap sold today. Most of the time a good clean is all you need to get them back in tip top shape.

If you are prepping for a zombie apocalypse, grid down.... The first rule is THIS...

Never, ever use dish soap to wash a cast iron pot or skillet.

Godspeed

·
Super Moderator
1-6 months, natural disasters or economic collapse
9,950 Posts
First off, welcome to the forum!

You've taken a good first step. Most people in the modern age never stop to consider what they will do in uncertain times. The fact that you've started thinking this way puts you ahead of the game.
I know you're eager to get answers, and start running. I caution you to plan first.
Start doing some easy and basic logistics analysis.

How many people are you going to prepare for? (ages, sizes, daily calorie and water needs)
Where will you store your supplies? (off the floor, environment controlled, secure)
What types of food will your group eat and how will they prepare it?
When do you anticipate needing your supplies? (another year into the Biden debacle, by Christmas, when the China begins its attack)
If you had nothing but the supplies you have gathered, how long would you plan to survive without leaving your safe area?
Do you need a contingency plan to pack up and move out if the worst should happen? (How?)

Get some basic answers down and start doing the math. How many calories will you need to store? How many gallons of water should you have immediately on hand, and how will you get/purify more?
What is your budget? Can you afford bulk buys and handle the repackaging yourself? Can you just add another $20-40 to your weekly grocery bill and be set in a few weeks?

Take it slow. Be methodical. Suppress the feeling of being rushed. In all likelihood, you have plenty of time.

If you have specific questions, feel free to post them. We have a wealth of knowledge here from people who have been doing this a loooong time.
You likely won't pose a question we've not seen before, no matter how odd you might think it sounds.
(No kidding, we once had a guy ask our opinion on his plans for a shipping container city where he was the leader and people relieved themselves in buckets that "the lesser people" would dispose of. As you might imagine, things did not go well for him, but WE had a lot of fun. 😁)

Ask away.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Remember--- prepping is a journey, not a destination
Make a plan, work the plan
Water, food, medical stuff, security.

·
Super Moderator
3,673 Posts
With winter on the horizon heat is an important issue. If the power goes out how will you heat your home?

·
Registered
6,052 Posts
I must admit that Kauboy hit all of the most important issues and slants. He's the kind of guy I listen to, since I am more of a polisher-slash-sharpener. The picture below is not part of my sharpening area or "for sale" group. It's a bunch of knives next to my TV end table where my wife allows me to limit the the stuff I need to use after the abuse.

BTW, I never go out with less than two knives--usually. This suburban jazz has me a tad lazy at times. Then again, even in the dark it's nice to grab any folder--as long as it draws blood...

Tool Everyday carry Backsaw Office supplies Musical instrument

·
Registered
6,052 Posts
...oh, and BTW, learn how to polish! Knives get nicked, and an abused edge is worthless...

Revolver Tool Material property Eyewear Blade

·
Registered
10,872 Posts
Hearty welcome from Texas. The Toronto Girl said things to barter is nice. Cigarettes...vodka and toilet paper are hot items.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts