Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As I watch the news, read forums and try to educate myself about things I have noticed something that disturbs me. I swear that we are being conditioned into thinking that its "us" or "them"... black/white, legal/illegal, liberal/conservative, on and on and on. I want to believe that a majority of us will not buy into that division state of mind. I want to believe that we all see ourselves and others as human beings first...that bottom line we would not stop to think of those divions before we would act to aid our fellow human beings.

I have been in many situations where people are in life and death situations and it would never cross my mind to ask political affiliations, religion, nationality or any other beliefs. The blood coming from their body is red just like mine.

Now, I have very strong political and moral convictions and opinions. I vote, I participate in my community and I support causes and people who share my views.

When it comes to the subject of SHTF, I feel like we are being conditioned by media and other influences that when something goes bad it will be "us" against "them". That suddenly there will be hourdes (sp?) of psychopaths running around trying to destroy us. That no one will help eachother. That we will forget we are humans and decend into a bunch of animals. I am not naive enough to believe that there will not be chaos and destruction...there will be for sure. I just want to believe that there will be more good than evil.

I look at events like Katrina. Pretty much the news was dominated by horrific stories of the worst types of human beings. I want to believe that there were way more inspiring stories and they just didn't get covered because they were not as "sexy and shocking".

Sorry this post is so long...it's just taken me a while to try to ask the questions in somewhat of a clear way. I am excited to get some feedback.

·
Registered
4,373 Posts
I hear you.

I prepare for "SHTF" and economic / political collapse of our society but I don't want it too happen. My person "SHTF" economically was bad enough I don't want to see that imposed upon anyone else and I doubt much of society can handle it. So you will see lots of "us" and "them" comments on the politics as many think its our "soft" society that is making it all too likely for a crisis to occur. Does that make sense.

Another "us vs. them" is simple for me. My bug out property enables me to watch a fairly well traveled road without being noticed too much, and I know very much I would be better off with people to help me at this property if the society as we knew it came to an end. If I saw someone on that road that looked like a hard working, prepared person, and possibly with some military experience I'd probably initiate contact and hope we could strike a bargain. I have things I can offer they might want and hopefully I can get the help I need in return. That is always an "us vs. them" situation - because if I see the "wrong" type of person headed down that road I'm likely to let them pass without confrontation and expect them to pass on by.

·
Registered
2,417 Posts
I fall into the us vs. them attitude and it doesn't help that I work in law enforcement. I pay attention to it and keep it in check. I usually say to myself, “Put yourself in their shoes.” But on the other hand I do believe that our ultimate destruction will be squarely placed on a group of society and not just the whole mass. Just look how much damage has been caused by Obama and people actually voted for him a second time! I’m supposed to help the people that could ultimately be responsible for the destruction? I have responded to some serious crisis in this country and others and most people just want help and to get on with their lives as close to as it was before the crisis. I have no problem helping out and I agree with what you’re saying but I still will be armed and I will be cautious.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I would also be careful about who to trust. I geuss I am trying to bring it all down to the core...is it better to die with my humanity in tact or stay live without it. If all that were left were the ones with no humanity, not sure I would want to be part of that world.

You mentioned "soft" society. I wonder sometimes if that isn't sometimes propaganda used to divide us. Like telling someone they are stupid long enough that they start believing it. What if we were told that yes there are "soft" among us, but most of us are strong! That there are those who are selfish takers and lazy but most of us will give the shirt off our back to someone in need and work our butts off.

I think we are being brainwashed in a way...that our country sucks, everyone is lazy, everyone hates eachother, that all unemployed are just lazy, everyone on foodstamps is mooching, and worst of all that we are helpless. Sure makes me want to give up sometimes. I wish there was more focus on whats good and right than on whats bad and wrong. I know...pie in the sky thinking LOL!

·
Registered
855 Posts
You're quite right we are being brainwashed, this is exactly what our government wants because as long as we are fighting each other, they can do exactly what they want and no one will even notice. For me I just try to be the decent, honest, hard working man my parents raised me to be and I expect everyone else to be the same. I'll treat everyone like a human being until they show me that they're really animals and then they get dealt with accordingly. Unfortunately I've seen enough over the course of my life that I don't trust many people (there might be 10 people whose hands I'd put my life in) and I think by definition in a SHTF scenario you absolutely will see the worst of man. So I guess what I'm saying is treat everyone with dignity and respect but don't trust anyone unless they earn it.

-Infidel

·
Registered
303 Posts
There is a whole lot more good in this country than bad. More people go to work every day, don't commit crimes, don't receive undeserving handouts, and act like moral human beings than all of those that don't act in a moral or humane way. That's what gives me hope.

What makes me worry is the financial mess we are in and someday somebody is going to want their money we owe them. I fear the collection process will not be pleasant for any of us.

Make alliances with good people and prepare.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts