Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
3% Hydrogen peroxide is some prety amazing stuff. It's has long been known for its antiseptic properties and useful for cleaning up minor abrasions, cuts and such.

Did you know it can be also be used as a kitchen surface cleaner and is useful for removing stains from clothing and as a laundry replacement for bleach.

Stored in an opaque spray bottle so that it doesn't loose potency it becomes a surface cleaner. Think flu season and food born nasties. Mixed with baking soda to a paste it will clean the stains and grime from pots and pans. It will also clean and disinfect the toilet bowl and remove mildew from grout lines.

At around a buck a bottle it is less expensive than most chemical cleaners and solutions normally bought and used for cleaning and disinfecting. Inexpensive and multi purpose...there is a lot like about Hydrogen peroxide.

·
Registered
4,373 Posts
Last summer the "dollar general store" opened near me. It not a dollar store, but they sent out
coupons. Spend $20 get $5 more for free. They have good first aid supplies and had bottles of HP for .79
which was when I first bought some - never had it around before - I don't use it yet as you have
described. I'm guessing there is an odor to using it as a cleaning agent or it'd be more popular
then chlorox wipes.

·
Registered
3,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Bleach might be comparable cost wise or even a bit less expensive, yet the first aid use of Hydrogen Preoxide along with the disinfectant properties seems to make it a bit more useful than bleach.

·
Registered
6,086 Posts
Hydrogen peroxide - even at only 3% solution is a volitile chemical that kills living tissue on contact. The hydrogen peroxide has to be kept in dark bottles to prevent reaction with UV and the bottles have to be air-tight to prevent it from evaporating out of solution.
It can be used to clean minor cuts and scrapes but you don't want to use it in any wound deep enough to require stitches because it will hamper the healing process.

Bleach can be used like hydrogen peroxide but it can also be used to purify water, clean surgical equipment and if you have the right formula you can use it to make poisonous gasses and even a moderately good nerve agent. Liquid dish soap is often overlooked but it is one of the best survival soaps there is. They are antiseptic, degreasers that store easily and rinse completely. They can be used as shampoo, body cleanser, to treat lice, clean wounds and clothes and has a host of other uses.

Reactions: inceptor

·
Registered
436 Posts
It has been used in Hospitals for a while now to clean with from floors to other surfaces. It also mixed with rubbing alcohol and Murphy soap is a great gun cleaner lubricant also.

·
Registered
171 Posts
I use it with vinegar and baking powder when my kitchen sink or tub get clogged up, gotta be careful or it ill blow up on your face lol

1 - 11 of 11 Posts