Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Right now there's a disturbance in the Caribbean Sea that they are concerned may come ashore somewhere in the United States in about 10 days. It's still a long way before it will be declared, but is everyone on the gulf coast ready? I'd love to know what all your hurricane plans are.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Louisiana gulf coast here…We’ve got a dual fuel generator connected to the gas line at our house, and a backup gas generator. We will fill up any empty gas cans once there is a more definitive timeline. We’ve been preppers for years, so our supplies of food, medical supplies, water, batteries, household essentials, ammo, etc. are already established. Our house is made of cement block and we had a new roof put on pre-Ida. We rode out Ida in our home with no damage and 10 days without electricity, so we’ve had a trial run. My husband moves his truck to higher ground if we have to bug out, and we put my car in our garage (we drive it onto a large tarp and pull the tarp up around it - cinch it at the top). We normally don’t flood, but we do that just in case. Really all that’s left is making sure we have a full keg for our kegerator!

·
Administrator
15,668 Posts
Florida East Coast here, have been for over 70 years. In 1995 we moved from just one mile inland to our present location, 45 miles inland at 100 feet in altitude.
Have seen many storms, have been thru many storms.

As usual, at the beginning of every June (hurricane season begins June 1) I visually inspect the generator. Is the spark plug good? Do I have a spare? Air filter OK? Do I have a spare? Oil look clean?
Then I put a little gasoline into it and fire it up. Satisfied everything is OK, I drain the fuel tank, drop the carb float bowl and inspect it.

I have 30 gallons of fresh 89 octane non-ethanol gas that has been treated with Star-Tron, Stabil, and Seafoam. This is what I use in all my small 4 stroke engines, so it gets used and replaced on a regular basis.

Chainsaw - when was the last time i used it? Got a spare spark plug? Bar oil? Tru Fuel premixed gasoline? (This is great stuff). Start it up to make sure.

Extension cords in good repair, to run from generator to house? 240 volt 4 wire locking cord for well pump right on top of the pile?

I'm the mechanical guy. Wife is the food person. But this is academic as far as hurricane preps, since she has years worth of not only non perishable food put back but also ingredients such as flour, sugar, powdered milk, corn meal, dehydrated fruit, etc.
And there is a large stand-up freezer full of meat.

As I said, we've been at this for many years and many storms.

·
Registered
160 Posts
FL Panhandle, near the coast. We lived in CA for years, under earthquake threat, which strikes with no warning. We always been well stocked. I just do not understand native Floridians who wait until three days before landfall to top-off supplies, and otherwise live day to day the rest of the time, as if hurricanes are the only possible threat!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
Bushcrafting / Economic Collapse
73 Posts
Been in NW Fl most of my life.. me and the lady have a decent stockpile of the necessities but of course always expanding. a freezer full of meat, stove stocked with months worth of fuel. Definitely need to expand the water stores… we never worry about the storms too much. after enough of them we decided we’d rather be at home eating steak and potatoes than fighting traffic

·
Super Moderator
1-6 months, natural disasters or economic collapse
10,855 Posts
Pushing Cat5 status as it nears landfall, hoping our Floridian members stay safe.
It completely knocked out Cuba's grid.

Good luck!

·
Administrator
15,668 Posts
We are getting the outer bands 250 miles away from Ian.
When the weather clears, we will see catastrophic results.
Fools that think they can "ride out" a storm of this magnitude are exactly that. Fools.

In Florida, "mandatory evacuations" does not mean you must leave. No one will come and force you. Likewise, if you get in trouble, the authorities will not come to your rescue.

·
Super Moderator
1-6 months, natural disasters or economic collapse
10,855 Posts
In Florida, "mandatory evacuations" does not mean you must leave. No one will come and force you. Likewise, if you get in trouble, the authorities will not come to your rescue.
This is specifically on point for a member of my very extended family. My brother-in-law's brother-in-law(sister's husband) decided he was going to ride it out. He's in construction, and thinks it will be a good thing to stick around and be first on the scene. This is the same genius who took his whole family to Colorado to become a failed pot farmer. Needless to say, he's the rightful black sheep.
What's worse, he currently has his son with him, while wife and daughter evacuated.
Selfish idiot...

I don't wish ill on dumb people, but to endanger a child by being dumb, that deserves some form of karmic punishment.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts