Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Super Moderator
State of Grace
6,720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hurricane season is here. Is everybody ready? one of the biggest causes of death post hurricane is improper generator use from carbon monoxide poisoning. Improper Generator Use Can be Deadly - Safe Electricity

The Atlantic hurricane season runs from June to November, with the peak season happening between mid-August to late October. On average there are six hurricanes, three which are categorized as “major,” each year. History provides important examples of the potentially dangerous impact hurricanes can have and the need to be prepared.

Prepare for the storm:
  • Charge all phone and communications devices
  • Unplug all electronics and move them as high as possible
  • If recommended by utilities or emergency offices, turn off breakers to avoid power surges
Weather the storm:
  • Stay indoors during hurricanes and away from windows and glass
  • Never operate a portable generator inside your home
  • Never connect a generator directly into your home's wiring unless a transfer switch has been installed
  • Always use GFCIs in areas where water and electricity may come in contact
Recover from the storm:
  • Do not use electrical equipment and electronics, including receptacles, that have been submerged in water
  • Have a qualified electrician inspect any water-damaged electrical equipment and electronics
  • Stay away from downed power lines. If you encounter a downed power line, stay at least 35 feet away and do not touch the line or anything that may be in contact with the line
Hurricane categories:
  • Category 1
    74 – 95 MPH Winds
    Some Damage
    • Potential roof damage
    • Large tree branches may snap, shallow-rooted trees may fall
    • Damage to utility poles and power lines. Outages may last few to several days
  • Category 2
    96 - 110 MPH Winds
    Extensive Damage
    • Potential major roof damage
    • Shallow-rooted trees will be snapped or unrooted
    • Power outages for several days to weeks
  • Category 3
    111 - 129 MPH Winds
    Devastating Damage
    • Major home damage
    • Many trees will be snapped or unrooted
    • Electricity and water may be unavailable for several days to weeks
  • Category 4
    130 - 156 MPH Winds
    Catastrophic Damage
    • Severe home damage
    • Most trees will be snapped or uprooted and utility poles downed
    • Power outages for weeks to possibly months
  • Category 5
    156 MPH Winds
    Catastrophic Damage
    • A high percentage of framed homes will be destroyed
    • Fallen trees and power poles will isolate residential areas
    • Power outages for weeks to possibly months
According to the Insurance Institute for Business & Home Safety, homes built to modern building codes fare much better than homes built to older codes. Make sure your home is up to code.

Hurricane History:
  • The deadliest hurricane in U.S. history referred to as the “Great Galveston Hurricane,” struck Texas in 1900 and resulted in an estimated 11,000 deaths.
  • Since 1851, the top three states for hurricane landfalls are Florida (114), Texas (63), and Louisiana (54), according to data from the Atlantic Oceanographic and Meteorological Laboratory in Miami.
  • Hurricane Sandy caused 8.5 million power outages across 21 states, the highest outage total ever.
  • 23 days after Hurricane Katrina local utilities had power restored to only three-quarters of their customers.

·
Administrator
15,252 Posts
As a life long Floridian, I do not take hurricane season lightly.
We have food, the generator has already been test run.
My biggest weakness was always being unable to power our well pump and aerator pump, which are both 220.
A friend installed a twist lock outlet and wired both pumps to it.
The 25 foot, 10 gage four wire electrical cord needed to connect generator to pumps was $100 by itself.
But, water is essential.

·
Super Moderator
State of Grace
6,720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No more Greek alphabet names will be given, according to the Farmer's Almanac. 2020 was the first season to retire them. Apparently they're too difficult. I think that's a paltry excuse. Anyway, here's the new names for 2021:

1. Ana
  2. Bill
  3. Claudette
  4. Danny
  5. Elsa
  6. Fred
  7. Grace
  8. Henri
  9. Ida
  10. Julian
  11. Kate
  12. Larry
  13. Mindy
  14. Nicholas
  15. Odette
  16. Peter
  17. Rose
  18. Sam
  19. Teresa
  20. Victor
  21. Wanda

·
Registered
18 Posts
Acquired a craftsman 2200 generator/inverter last night at Lowe’s. I intend to use it for ham radio and a refrigerator/ freezer in my apartment. Hopefully just for the ham radio during camping.... I hate hurricanes

·
Registered
16 Posts
Living where I live, I have seen several hurricanes hit close to me over the last twenty years. Rita left me without electric for four days. Propane ran out all around us before it hit the Texas-Louisiana coast. Fuel for generators was out for the better part of that time. Had to travel 30 plus miles to get fuel for the generator the last two days before power restored. Last year Laura and Delta came within 32 miles of my location, one to my west and the other past east of me. Both had resources in high demand for several weeks. Don't wait till the last minute and think you will have enough. Think a week or more for areas within twenty miles of landfall or path and at least a week for anything twenty to fifty miles from path. I observed people traveling to Lafayette and Baton Rouge just to get a 20# propane bottle filled that lived in Lake Charles. Shelves in all the stores around my area were empty the day after Laura and nothing was left for Delta when it hit just a week later. Like I said, I was just 32 miles, as the wind blows, from Laura and Delta passed below and east of me just 41 miles at the closest point. No food for a week or more after Delta even with FEMA helping. After that it was hard to find other than just the basic of staples in my region for weeks. If it could be made over an open fire, you couldn't find it anywhere. People were digging through destruction for something to eat if they had no way to travel fifty miles or more. Plan to leave or be prepared to scavenge for food in and around the hurricanes path. This was as close as I want to come to SHTF but am prepared if it does.

I have a dual fuel pure sine generator with ten 20# bottles of propane. I keep forty gallons of fuel and rotate it every few months to keep down spoiling the fuel from sitting. Yes, gas can go bad, I have seen it but propane can last for years but will lower electrical output of your generator (personnel experience). I don't store fuel in my generator and run it completely empty before storing it. They can run on ethanol fuel but if left in the carb can gum up the works after a few months and cause problems with the generator when you need it most. Best thing to do if you have to use gas with ethanol is to find a source for ethanol free fuel and run a half gallon or so before storing. The only other thing to do is learn how to remove ethanol from your fuel or run propane that will produce less electricity and cost more per hour to use. Twenty pounds of propane (about 4.5 gallons) will not run as long as 4.5 gallons of gas.

Good luck and be prepared!

·
Registered
3,186 Posts
I may just go get a little 2200 generator too. Its only for lights and refrigerator..

Reactions: Auntie

·
Registered
376 Posts
No more Greek alphabet names will be given, according to the Farmer's Almanac. 2020 was the first season to retire them. Apparently they're too difficult. I think that's a paltry excuse. Anyway, here's the new names for 2021:

1. Ana
  2. Bill
  3. Claudette
  4. Danny
  5. Elsa
  6. Fred
  7. Grace
  8. Henri
  9. Ida
  10. Julian
  11. Kate
  12. Larry
  13. Mindy
  14. Nicholas
  15. Odette
  16. Peter
  17. Rose
  18. Sam
  19. Teresa
  20. Victor
  21. Wanda
Let`s hope you folks in Hurricane Alley never have to meet Wicked Wanda.

Godspeed.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts