Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi as you can see I am new ..50+

would someone be interested in taking me on my first hunting trip with them one day? (i am on from the East Coast ) I don't have a problem driving a few states over.. I will also contribute to any expenses.. I don't know a lot of people in my area that hunt.. area is not that neighbor friendly..

If not would someone be willing to sell me one of their catches Deer/Bear I can pickup and butcher .... Just trying to save some money and not buy steroid injected food from the stores..

Thanks
StevenC

·
Registered
4,373 Posts
Good luck, I mean that, but for the lower cost meat look up the future farmers of America and see about buying an animal at the fair for butcher if you have the freezer space?

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
If you want to make a trip to Montana I will be glad to take you out.. We have over 60,000 acres of private ranchland to hunt and we are surrounded by over a half million acres of other private and blm land.. We are in the Upper Missouri Breaks of Montana and have plenty of game.. It is not uncommon for me to see 200-500 deer a day..I know it is far. I am actually from Florida but we decided to move here finally this last spring..

·
Registered
928 Posts
If you want to make a trip to Montana I will be glad to take you out.. We have over 60,000 acres of private ranchland to hunt and we are surrounded by over a half million acres of other private and blm land.. We are in the Upper Missouri Breaks of Montana and have plenty of game.. It is not uncommon for me to see 200-500 deer a day..I know it is far. I am actually from Florida but we decided to move here finally this last spring..
That sounds like heaven to me..... 60,000 acres to hunt on
I really need to get out of Hellifornia

·
Registered
4,078 Posts
If you are going to purchase wild game meat from someone, you had better keep it low key because it is illegal for them to sell it to you.
Is that federal or per each state's law?

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
Is that federal or per each state's law?
I think it is most every state that you cannot sell game fish or animals... That's why they have venison and elk farms..

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
Haha
I am from the western part of Montana, usually I don't even buy a deer tag as Elk is the meat of choice over here. That being said I've taken more deer than my number of years, and if you want to come to western Montana I could help you out.

I understand you are looking for the experience not the meat,

·
Registered
4,692 Posts
In NM, inside the hunting regulations book, there is a "consumable meat transfer form". It doesnt mention anything about sale, but bartering your help for a few pounds of meat. Yes, the experience is what I love. Having hunted many times, and never killing a deer or elk, but having helped gut and skin a deer or two is invaluable information.
Im trying to arraing a "hunting vacation" in Texas with my cousin. Hopefully around Thanksgiving.
Also, check with Game and Fish, I know a coworkers father "gets every deer and elk" that they confiscate from poachers. also, some states have programs where hunters donate the meat, just a few options..

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Guys thanks for the information.. And a special thanks to the invites, unfortunately at this time i don't see it in my budget to to drive to Montana as much as i wish i could, to see that side of the county money is tight and jobs are scarce in New Jersey and i need to try and keep my job for a while longer.. New younger appointed, family, friends and getting the jobs at my school and they are pushing the old whites out..sad but true.. I will keep it in mind and if i get the change i will gladly take you up on a trip...I will not offer to buy game meat. I will offer to buy your ammo and gas as the price of ammo is a T-Bone LOL..

Montana Rancher
Yes it is the experience and the thrill i am looking for in addition to eating my catch..Most people are a little leery about taking a newbie hunting with them, but i am not going to lie i have never hunted, I have a few firearms that i use at the range and carry all the time. Thank you for the offer ...

Thanks
StevenC

·
Registered
148 Posts
Whom ever you go with.. Discuss the rifle you have and if it is proper for what your going after. I would take ya but i'm even further then Montana from ya.. I hope you can get the experience your looking for.. It is worth the time to do.

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
Haha
I am from the western part of Montana, usually I don't even buy a deer tag as Elk is the meat of choice over here. That being said I've taken more deer than my number of years, and if you want to come to western Montana I could help you out.

I understand you are looking for the experience not the meat,
Same here. Elk is the meat of choice but it is too late for him to get an elk tag so venison will be the next best choice for him.. I love venison but I am at the point now where except for the backstrap and tenderloin, I turn the rest into ground meat and sausage.. Now elk on the other hand. I like to get much more cuts out of them.. But over the years, if I told people the amount I have killed they would probably not believe me..lol In Florida, the limit of deer is 1 per day... At least it used to be. I'm not sure now.. Then the Georgia deer there has been many a deer in the freezer from there too. Since we have been coming to Montana, I have put plenty of Mulies in the freezer and a few Whitetail from here to..

·
Registered
6,086 Posts
In WA. we have a limit of one. One deer, one Elk, one bear, etc.
You have to choose your weapon - modern firearm, black powder or bow - Using a crossbow is only legal in firearm restricted ares unless you meet the disability standards for hunting.
You cannot hunt bow season and modern firearm season and blackpowder - you can choose only one.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts