Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

41 - 54 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
When starting seeds you really want store bought dirt. Too much nutrients, can harm young seedlings. Plus the risk of fungus. I tried using miracle grow dirt last year it was a disaster. Miracle grow does make a seedling starter dirt, it's not available in my area. I get all my supplies from a greenhouse supply place, except the lights, bulbs.
I used sungrow dirt this year, some of the pro mixes got stuck in Canada because of covid. Last year my plants did make it but was very late. This is what I have done the last 10 years, it's worked very well. Good luck!
20210426_144810.jpg
20210426_144625.jpg
20210426_144613.jpg
20210426_144637.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
45 Posts
I never
I used to put in a massive garden and it did great, except for what the darn deer ate. Now that I have downsized and mostly container garden I seem to have lost my green thumb.
I never have had luck with containers probably because they get too hot on sides, I just lost interest in it.

·
Registered
Self-sustained liveaboard
346 Posts
My gardens are containered. They definitely do not hold their water as well as the beds and I've lost more than a few plants because I wasn't paying attention. Gave up for a couple years. Working from home now I have time to keep an eye on them so it's happening this year

I do miss my raised beds at the house. That's my main driving factor to buying land. I'l live in a treehouse as long as my gardens have a nice place to grow haha.

My tomatoes and cucumber are off to a great start (seeds harvested from last year's crop!)
Spinach was questionable but came up over the weekend. I'm less stressed about them now.
Bell Peppers seem to be steady, tho still small.
Lettuce and Swiss Chard are at the point where they have historically died on me before. Fingers crossed here.
Various herbs are doing their thing. Lemon Basil is booming as usual.
Celery is try to sprout.. taking its time. More fingers crossed.
And I rescued some lettuce and arugula from a friend. Arugula was hit hard, but I think it's in the clear now.

I'll get some photos this week once I transplant them to their more permanent homes

·
Registered
Firearms & Self Defense.
4,544 Posts
I am going to use seeds, maybe tomato and cucumber; it is smoking hot here and the seeds should blow up, in short order.

·
Registered
54 Posts
My very modest setup does the job for me. Beans, Peas, Tomatoes, Eggplant and three varieties of squash along with some ornamental corn and lots of herbs. A couple of more weeks and the chance of frost is about 80% past. Still not dry enough to till the soil but I’ve got lots of containers ready to go as soon as the weather cooperates.

·
Registered
548 Posts
Finally got the majority of my plants planted outside. Sadly my herb garden is going to be destroyed by the heavy equipment used when they tear down my old house so I am trying to transplant them to a new home but they did so good there I am sad. My few remaining tomatoes perked up and are doing well and my potatoes are doing well. I planted horseradish for the first time in a 5 gallon bucket I took the bottom off of and buried so I can contain the spread. I used the peroxide as suggested so we will see. I planted a ton of hot peppers also, can't have too many since I make so many things from them. The weather is great and I am taking the day off and getting on my bike, grabbing my camera and going to shoot the blue herons on their nest.

·
Registered
10,696 Posts
Im fixing to grow min in order to make menthol cigarettes to use as barter when the economy collapsest. My pal says its invasive like monkey grass and the wifey said it dont need much sunlight. Who knows? Thanks.

·
Registered
548 Posts
We have a community garden in town. You can rent a raised bed for 25$ and they do the watering. I am thinking of renting one because I can't grow corn or beets here until my husband puts up a tall fence. My neighbors is 8 foot and the deer still get in there. My concerns are if things go bad someone robs my garden but if not I might be able to finally get corn and beets to grow. For some reason the beets seem to attract every rabbit in a 10 mile radius. I even had one dig down and have babies in one of my garden beds. When I watered it one days I had tiny bunnies screaming and pouring out the side and near gave me a heart attack. I had been watering all along and don't know how I didn't drown them. So there are pros and cons. There is a security camera and it is in a good part of town.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I put out some plants and used DeWitt woven ground cloth. First time for using it. I know people that has used it.. I'm taking a chance, we probably will have a couple more frost. I have plenty of plants.
For you all that want to know. It comes in various sizes, I used 3ft it comes
300 ft lengths. $ 38.50. I got at a local amish greenhouse supply place.
It suppose to last 3 to 5 years. It's recommended to take up in winter. Small metal stakes hold it down.
Cut holes with propane torch. Search DeWitt groundcover, watch on you tube. Its sold me. Let's water,
20210502_083047.jpg
in, breathes. Keeps most weeds out. Keeps ground warm.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I put out some plants and used DeWitt woven ground cloth. First time for using it. I know people that has used it.. I'm taking a chance, we probably will have a couple more frost. I have plenty of plants.
For you all that want to know. It comes in various sizes, I used 3ft it comes
300 ft lengths. $ 38.50. I got at a local amish greenhouse supply place.
It suppose to last 3 to 5 years. It's recommended to take up in winter. Small metal stakes hold it down.
Cut holes with propane torch. Search DeWitt groundcover, watch on you tube. Its sold me. Let's water, View attachment 113599 in, breathes. Keeps most weeds out. Keeps ground warm.
And here I am using newspaper lol(well for in between rows)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
45 Posts
And here I am using newspaper lol(well for in between rows)

Nobody can , or even buys the local newspaper around here anymore. It's too expensive and has shrunk to a few pages. My parents stopped after 60 yrs. The best garden I ever had was with cardboard, on ground that hadnt been plowed in 50 yrs.. I had been saving cardboard for this year, until I ran across this grown cover.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Nobody can , or even buys the local newspaper around here anymore. It's too expensive and has shrunk to a few pages. My parents stopped after 60 yrs. The best garden I ever had was with cardboard, on ground that hadnt been plowed in 50 yrs.. I had been saving cardboard for this year, until I ran across this grown cover.
It’s been so windy around here lately last week we had 3/7 days with 40mph+ winds I’m tellin you though once the newspaper is wet it doesn’t budge lol. How many stakes did you use to secure that down?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Not enough, I had to go back to work .I got them about 5 or 6 ft apart. This weekend I will put them 3 ft. I have access to scrap wire at work, so I will make my own. A neighbor bought contractor stakes at lowes. I think a box of 100 was $ 6.00. We got a lot of rain the last 2 days, I could walk down the row. My next piece will overlap the other.. I have some places I will leave a 4" gap between cloths and not have to put holes in them. That where I will plant. I have a problem with weeds, they grow when I am working, or rains. I have a mixed up schedule. I'm gone at least 14 hrs a day, I think this will work out, cuts out tilling, I can get in there after a rain,ect. My neighbor has been using it for 2 yrs, he said he will never go back to any other way. Lo9

41 - 54 of 54 Posts