Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

21 - 40 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
We got cold temps coming, they will get some this week. I been using that peroxide about 10 days. Now my plants look better. I'm starting a small greenhouse this week..I'm planting the rest tomarrow, I'm going to try that peroxide on the seeds, I'm planting, some are 10 yrs or more.

·
Registered
548 Posts
Spent the last 2 days trying to fix my greenhouse, no help from the ole guy, sigh and moved my seedlings back in under the grow lights since we are expecting possible freezing temps all week. Ate the first of my lettuce I grew inside and it was yummy. I hope to finish the greenhouse today after securing all the stakes and cover and then my plants will be fine in colder weather. My tomato seedlings are getting big but not going to put them out yet as they aren't as cold hardy. I have now turned my 3 basil plant into 20 plants by trimming the offshoots and putting them into water to root and in their own pots, I can see having an endless supply. Going to make some hot pesto sauce next week.

·
Registered
45 Posts
This was about a week.ago, I have been trying to suppress their growth, I'm just about done with my small greenhouse , I can move them outside after this snow that's coming.
My greenhouse is a little further along than this picture
20210414_154158.jpg

·
Registered
Self-sustained liveaboard
346 Posts
I'm not home, working . I will post pics tomorrow.
I have been raising plants for 40 yrs, thought I was up to speed, but learned 2 things this week.
I have been watering my seedlings with hydrogen peroxide. 4 oz.to gallon, can be sprayed on plants or dirt, before starting seedlings. I'm going to soak all my seeds monday, its suppose to speed germination. And kill fungus on seeds.
I also have been keeping them as cold as I can, in my building. This will cause the stems to get fat and slow the growth in height down. This will mimic the plants you see at Walmart, Lowe's, this is how the seedling companies do it.
It's working, I'm trying to keep my height down because I can't put mine out till May 15 to 20. This will cause the root to grow, cold treatment also causes stems to grow.
Search both on net. Lots of info.
Or go to. tomatoville.com, or net.
Lots of info on gardening.
I definitely could have used these tips a few weeks ago when i started my seeds. This year seemed to be particularly bad for the fungus. Lost a good chunk of them to that.
The ones that have sprouted are sooooo tall and spindly

Now I know for the next round!

·
Registered
45 Posts
Look up cold treatment, nurseries have been using this for years, I just found out about it. This is how lowes, Walmart gets these tomato plants with big stems. My plants are 35 days old. The pic was about 5 or 6 days ago
I have them outside now, not trying to suppress their growth. We are getting snow tonight, so they are going back in.
Go to tomatoville.com. these guys can get way over a persons head with growing plants. But you can learn a lot.
It's good for other plants too.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Started all my veggie seeds today. The sun room is full of trays and the dog can’t figure out what happened to all his lounging space. Expecting 5-8 inches of snow tonite but that’s not unusual here for this time of year. About 5 weeks till I can plant anything outside safely.

·
Registered
548 Posts
I am terrible at raising plants from seeds. They start out fine in the house. Get too big for the starting pots, transplant them into a bigger one and that is all she wrote. 5 out of my 8 tomatoes just died. This is why I usually end up buying plants from the garden center. Sigh.

·
Banned
647 Posts
I am terrible at raising plants from seeds. They start out fine in the house. Get too big for the starting pots, transplant them into a bigger one and that is all she wrote. 5 out of my 8 tomatoes just died. This is why I usually end up buying plants from the garden center. Sigh.
Where are you getting the dirt that you’re using for transplant ?

They use very little water for the first week or so after transplant. You don’t want to keep the soil wet, just moist and let it dry to your first knuckle on your index finger before you water the soil again.

Use 10% of the pots volume in soil to calculate how much water.

I would water a 1 gal pot with 13 Oz of water every other day once the tomato plant started growing. When it starts to dry out in one day then I would transplant again.

I’ll help if you have questions. 👍

·
Registered
548 Posts
I think I do over water them. The small pots seem to dry out so fast. I used the same soil I start them in and use the dirt from the small plant also. In my click and grow they do do great, transplant them to a pot and they start dying. They can only stay in the click and grow until a certain height. My basil did ok but even they are starting to look sickly. If they weather would just stop being cold hot cold hot I could get them permanently planted. I probably jumped the gun on starting them.

·
Banned
647 Posts
I think I do over water them. The small pots seem to dry out so fast. I used the same soil I start them in and use the dirt from the small plant also. In my click and grow they do do great, transplant them to a pot and they start dying. They can only stay in the click and grow until a certain height. My basil did ok but even they are starting to look sickly. If they weather would just stop being cold hot cold hot I could get them permanently planted. I probably jumped the gun on starting them.
Maybe they’re not getting enough light after you remove from the click n grow. Try a seaweed extract product at transplant to ease the shock of transplant.

When you first transplant it’s ok if the top of the soil drys out a little. The soil may be wet deeper in the pot.

This will encourage root growth to find that water in the bottom of the pot.

·
Registered
548 Posts
I used to put in a massive garden and it did great, except for what the darn deer ate. Now that I have downsized and mostly container garden I seem to have lost my green thumb.

·
Banned
647 Posts
Container gardening is a little more complex than planting in natural soil. Your soil ph can swing quick if you over feed or use the wrong amendment. It’s also a learning curve to water properly. Keep a notebook of when snd how much you water. Experiment with a few and give them less or more water. Observe the results.

We’ve talked about worm tea and how This introduces bacteria that breaks nutrients down in the soil to feed the plant and helps regulate soil PH. It’s like a plant super tonic.

I never water with just plain water unless I’m in a hurry. I always use some strength of worm tea. Either straight undiluted or I’ll mix up to 5 10 gallons of water to one gallon of worm tea.

I also like to make drench out of bone meal about once every 2-3 weeks. I like to top dress every few weeks with about 1/2” of straight worm castings.

·
Banned
647 Posts
Here is a days worth of tomato I grew last season.

Notice how healthy the foliage is. All natural organic fertilizer and homemade bug spray. Grown in cat litter buckets. They get huge, 7’-10’ tall and 6-8’ wide for each bucket.

·
Registered
45 Posts
In raising plants, I think dirt is the key, I never use any dirt from walmart, lowes, ect. Last year I used miracle grow, worse plants in 30 + years.

·
Registered
45 Posts
In raising plants, I think dirt is the key, I never use any dirt from walmart, lowes, ect. Last year I used miracle grow, worse plants in 30 + years. I use promix mainly.

·
Registered
45 Posts
This is simple.i have a 4 ft. X40" box.i hang 4 regular 4ft florescent light, was 12 to $14. I put 6500k bulbs.these do cost a little. Shop around. My box will hold 6 trays for starting plants. I uses
Styrofoam board for walls. Inside is 5/16 thick, it has aluminium foil on one side, available at lowes. If its cold i have another green insulation board I put next to inside the board. Also at lowes. The lights provide some heat.i have mine in a unheated shop.. when I start my seedling I leave my lights on 24/7. For at least 3 weeks after sprouting. Then i put on timer. I have it on a stand..if its below 20. I add a electric oil heater under box for heat.
I keep box between 70 and 80. Take a wall off box if it gets to hot. Buy promix dirt.. if you have any questions just ask.
I will post pics later

·
Registered
548 Posts
I have good black dirt here and that is probably the problem, when I planted in a regular garden they did great, started planting using boughten soil and manure and chicken poo from my neighbor. This year I bought a composter. I would put in a massive garden every year and got tired of being the only one working on it, weeding, harvesting, digging it up. The ole guy and son's loved the fresh produce but not the work that went into it. I also loved the fresh produce but worked 12 hour shift so downsized to container gardens about 6 years ago. Some years I get bumper crops, some years not hardly anything. One year I had a tomato plant that was so huge we had it staked to the house and I got about 130 tomatoes off that one plant. I usually get a years worth of beans and peas but not much luck with my strawberries or potatoes. I am trying a new way to grow my potatoes and hope it does better and I have been mixing my compost in with some dirt I dug up from the back lot. I will probably end up buying my pepper plants and things again since I just haven't got the seed thing down well.

Reactions: Auntie

·
Premium Member
9,849 Posts
Me and the little one planted carrots and okra. Been in the ground for about 10 days now. She is so excited to see them sprout. She keeps asking everyday if they are "done".

Also have some tomatoes, squash, jalapenos, bell pepper going but I bought those already grown.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

21 - 40 of 54 Posts