Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,

By now I'm sure many of you have started your gardens indoors and I thought we could swap some pictures of them.

These are pepper plants started on February 28th, the larger ones are Keystone Resistant Giant Sweet Bell Peppers and the smaller narrower leaved ones are Sweet Pickle (Christmas Tree) Peppers. I will start tomatoes around the first week of April.

Peppers.jpg

How about you?

·
Registered
785 Posts
Nice! We have basil & cilantro growing in the south facing window, under a heat lamp and grow light.

The greenhouse (un-heated) is packed of just planted seeds, ready for the garden.
The garden is almost ready - not temps wise - turned the soil, added fertilizer, added compost, added a new corn area (not in raised beds).

We are ready & waiting to go! Now if spring would cooperate!! garden has beautiful garlic shoots & kale growing...

SeedStarts_1_030720.jpg
SeedStarts_2_030720.jpg
Garlic_030720.jpg
kale_030720.jpg

peace,
Michael J.

·
Registered
8,213 Posts
Nothing started yet, a bit early here. I'm in zone 5 but in the hills so I've seen snow in May, frost near end of the month.

I have an invitation from a friend with a heated greenhouse to start my seeds there. He's getting going this weekeend, same with me.

I have a lot of saved seeds that need to be used, he'll get free seed and I get a place to grow.

Hope to have a much larger selection of early cold tolerant plants, and the peppers/tomatoes can get started early and still have enough room to grow until danger of frost is past.

·
Super Moderator
3,123 Posts
I started 8 sweet peppers in peat plugs with the intentions of only planting 5 in the garden. All 8 are sprouted and two are sporting their secondary leaves already. I will be starting tomato and all the rest of the seeds before the end of the month. The garden has always been a hobby, but this year it may take on a little more importance. I have a good supply, but today I ordered 48 more Ball canning lids.

·
Registered
110 Posts
We have cabbage and other cold weather crops in the greenhouse now. Plans to plant them Sunday. They will need to be covered at night once in awhile. 2 trays of peppers spent 48 hours in the greenhouse due to warmer night. They will return tot he inside grow lights this evening as temperature are going down to 25. Tomatoes are sprouting nicely will be ready to go into bigger peat cups in about 2-3 weeks

·
Registered
27 Posts
I have about 120 tomatoes up in trays, almost 20 days old, they are doing well.
I'm starting for the first time" cold treating," and going to use hydrogen peroxide on my plants. I'm a tomato freak. I raise about 30 different kinds. I will plant more this week and peppers too. I have peas up, onions started. I just learned about hydrogen peroxide and plants, I know the amish near me use it. Cold treating seedlings is how the stems get huge on plants at big box stores.
I can recommend tomatoville.com.
It's a great gardening web site.

·
Super Moderator
3,123 Posts
I have 8 pepper plants up 2 inches so far. And two each of broccoli and cauliflower. My intention is to start additional broccoli and cauliflowers at two week intervals so hopefully I get produce all summer. I will be starting the tomatoes any day now, maybe this afternoon.

Everyone! Make sure you get your canning lids asap (if available) cause I’m pretty sure we will see a repeat of last falls shortages.

·
Registered
21,090 Posts
Our Sugar Snap Peas and Carrot Seeds have been in the ground in the raised beds for a couple of weeks now. Already poking their scrumptious little heads through the nutritious soil...

·
Registered
446 Posts
I just moved my seedlings outside yesterday with temps supposed to be in the 80's for the next few days, I have been hardening them indoors so hopefully I don't go out today and see dead plants. I also started some of my seeds in the ground.

·
Registered
474 Posts
My tomatoes are doing well, about a foot tall now. I planted early this year to try an beat some of the heat we get here in summer.

Can’t wait to get some tomatoes that have some taste, store bought just don’t have the flavor most of the time.

·
Registered
446 Posts
I brought my habenaro plant up from the basement where it winters over and hung it outside. I has flowers already so I see more peppers for my hot sauce in the next few month. I might re pot it in a few days because it surely must be pot bound after being in that one for a year. My ginger plant will stay in the basement for awhile longer though.

·
Super Moderator
3,123 Posts
I have 12 tiny seedlings that are spending their first few hours outside in the shade today. 8 sweet peppers, 2 broccoli, and 2 cauliflower. If time allows , I will be starting my tomato seeds today. It’s sunny and almost 70 degrees outside. Lots of outdoor chores on the schedule today.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Dang, I’m still two weeks away from being able to start seeds indoors. It was 19 here last night and , even though we have a nice stretch of weather coming up, there is 90% chance we will have multiple nights well below freezing still to come. Outdoor planting here starts mid-May (except for greens and peas) so my starting seeds indoors begins about a month before that. Heck, we had two inches of snow 5 days ago.

·
Registered
474 Posts
79 here today with full sun. I have tomato that I started a month ago along with chocolate mint and cilantro. My wife started some other things too, squash and onion.

All started inside and we put them out about a week ago. I need to transplant.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I'm not home, working . I will post pics tomorrow.
I have been raising plants for 40 yrs, thought I was up to speed, but learned 2 things this week.
I have been watering my seedlings with hydrogen peroxide. 4 oz.to gallon, can be sprayed on plants or dirt, before starting seedlings. I'm going to soak all my seeds monday, its suppose to speed germination. And kill fungus on seeds.
I also have been keeping them as cold as I can, in my building. This will cause the stems to get fat and slow the growth in height down. This will mimic the plants you see at Walmart, Lowe's, this is how the seedling companies do it.
It's working, I'm trying to keep my height down because I can't put mine out till May 15 to 20. This will cause the root to grow, cold treatment also causes stems to grow.
Search both on net. Lots of info.
Or go to. tomatoville.com, or net.
Lots of info on gardening.

·
Registered
474 Posts
When starting plants it’s important to control humidity, soil moisture and temp. Fungus and PM issues can be avoided.

Struggling plants attract nature’s clean up crew, bugs. Throw struggling plants away.

Implement an IPM system. Bugs spread disease.

Keep foliage away from the soil and all dead plants material cleaned up.

Treat your pots with a bleach water solution and store in a dry place.

Inoculate your soil with good bacteria and fungi. Foliar feed with worn tea and root drench on a regular basis.

Anything suspected of Fusarium gets thrown in Denton or Slippys garden. 🤡

Useful tips 👍

·
Registered
446 Posts
I'm not home, working . I will post pics tomorrow.
I have been raising plants for 40 yrs, thought I was up to speed, but learned 2 things this week.
I have been watering my seedlings with hydrogen peroxide. 4 oz.to gallon, can be sprayed on plants or dirt, before starting seedlings. I'm going to soak all my seeds monday, its suppose to speed germination. And kill fungus on seeds.
I also have been keeping them as cold as I can, in my building. This will cause the stems to get fat and slow the growth in height down. This will mimic the plants you see at Walmart, Lowe's, this is how the seedling companies do it.
It's working, I'm trying to keep my height down because I can't put mine out till May 15 to 20. This will cause the root to grow, cold treatment also causes stems to grow.
Search both on net. Lots of info.
Or go to. tomatoville.com, or net.
Lots of info on gardening.
I didn't know that about peroxide, will have to try it. I do that to my indoor plants also, start the seedlings under a grow light and when they get larger move to basement under that grow light which is much cooler then upstairs. They get a little shell shock when first put out but are doing well, however they are predicted some freezing so I will be bringing them in next week since I still haven't gotten the greenhouse repaired. My indoor tomatoes just started coming up in my click and grow.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts