Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A brief introduction:
I have, and have had for a long while, a prepper mindset, but due to the power of 'feminine persuasion', I am in a sad sad state of preparedness at the moment. Basically, if TSHTF tonight, I would be out there looking to get food from other folks before long. And considering where I live, that would be a short and spectacular career.... :oops:

Long story short, the little lady and I finally have gone different ways :grin: . The firearms and ammo I "sold" have returned from hiding in my attic (it is my house - she gone!) and my folk's house, with no noticeable negative effects that I can see, and I am now working diligently on rectifying other issues as I can.

Here is where I am sitting:
Pros:
1. Plenty of storage space now in the house and the shed. :roll:
2. I once again control my disposable income.
3. I have a pretty darned good idea of my priority purchases, and better than most ability to acquire many of them at very attractive prices
4. My family (minus the idiot brother in law) is totally on board with the prepper mindset.
5. I have a damned good dog. :cool:

Cons:
1. I live in the suburbs of Memphis (Collierville)
2. My yard is totally unsuitable for gardening (beyond herbs), especially without major landscaping of my yard and the uphill neighbor's yard.
3. I live in the suburbs of Memphis
4. And I live in the suburbs of Memphis.
5. And finally, I live in the suburbs of Memphis.

As to the firearms, my "collection" is not much of one, but each member of it has a specified purpose including a DPMS .308 and a decent amount of ammo in surplus sealed battle packs I bought back before the first Obamination. Of course they all have Berdan primers, but what the hell.......

·
Registered
4,078 Posts
Welcome from the South-East. (SC)
I'd be careful about posting that kind of stuff too soon, even under a screen name.
Looks you're onto a problem though, get THO Memphis!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
:D Congrats, I think?

Can you put window boxes or do vertical gardening to get at least some plants in?
Oh sure, I can put in about 120 sq. ft., but that is the limit without flooding or shadowing from the neighbor's trees.

·
Registered
2,797 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

While everything may not be peachy in Paradise, if you sit down and think about it for a while and put it into perspective your doing way better than probably 90% of the population and that aint all bad! Doesn't mean you cant improve things. Just set your priorities and it sounds like you have and start knocking them out one at a time and before long you will find yourself on much higher ground.

At anyrate, hope to see you around and see you here often!

·
Registered
8,068 Posts
Hello from Minnesota

·
Administrator
15,108 Posts
Welcome from Florida.
For the short term, if you are unable to garden, buy canned veggies when they are on sale at the grocery.
My wife and I just went last night, bought sale items only, and got soup, tuna, veggies, etc. Example - canned tomatos were 10 for $5 so we bought 10. Campbells chicken noodle soup - bought 10 cans. Same with tuna, 10 cans.
Buying JUST sale items we got an entire shopping cart full of "stuff" for $125.
We do this every two weeks when I get paid.
We can last a LONG time if there are ever food shortages.
Oh, yeah, develop a taste for rice - it's cheap when you buy it in 25 pound or 50 pound bags. After all, rice is good to put the canned veggies that you have stock piled on top of.

Reactions: longrider

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Welcome from Southern Minnesota. I used to work at a horse farm in Colierville. At least you're a ways from downtown Memphis and the "Food Stamp Neighborhood". Do you have any friends that live farther out? Relatives? I container garden, also, because soil by my home is very poor/sandy. Cheaper to container garden than haul loads of compost, etc. you can do a lot with a few square feet. Square foot gardening is a great way to go. You can look on motherearthenews.com for ideas and info on square foot gardening. Also Backwoods Home magazine.

Rice Paddy Daddy is right. Watch the sale ads. You can really save money on canned goods. You're lucky that you have your family on board. That makes a huge difference. You're already ahead of the game. Don't forget water. I save in milk jugs, vinegar and bleach jugs. It adds up quickly. I also use 2 liter bottles from pop. Soda to you. :razz: I also buy old water cooler jugs(coleman, walmart, etc ) at garage sales, to save water in. Every little bit helps. I got a whole bunch of powdered gravy mixes for my rice. As well as the rice side dishes on sale, to give more flavor to plain rice. Be creative, watch the local Piggly Wiggly and Kroger sale ads for deals. I'm sure you'll do fine. Good luck and I look forward to hearing about your progress.

·
Administrator
15,108 Posts
Longrider hit on a point I sometimes forget - print media. We have been subscribers to Backwoods Home magazine for almost two decades.
Being old grumpy people (sometimes) we each have our own subscription.:lol:
self-reliance | homesteading | canning | backwoods | magazine
The web page only has selected articles from the current and past issues, but you can get good ideas. To get the whole thing you must buy or subscribe to the hard copies.
There is also a forum with different sections from small scale gardening to homesteading to live stock to firearms to a whole lot more. Just scroll down the left margin of the page and you will see "enter forum".
Tell 'em Rice Paddy Daddy sent ya. I usually hang around the firearms section.:mrgreen:

Reactions: longrider

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
I read an article on growing potatoes in a garbage can. You fill the bottom 1/4 with soil. Plant the potatoes, when the leaves start growing, add more soil. Keep going that way until you reach the top. The author got a huge amount of potatoes in that one garbage can. Use a garbage can that lost it's lid. Don't forget to drill holes in the bottom, so water can drain. Then can the potatoes. Mrs Inor makes the best canned potatoes. They're soooo good.

You can do the same with chicken wire, straw and soil. Make a tube of the chicken wire, line with straw and fill the middle with soil. This can make a good garden for any type plant. I can't remember where I saw that article. I'll do that this next summer. By the time I saw the articles, it was too late to start plants. At least in Minnesota. Good luck! I know you'll do well.

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
I read you can do it with tires too, just keep adding tires. I like your two methods better. Tires can't be good for growing food you actually intend to eat.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts