Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is your sign that it is time to put your bug out / bug in plan into action? What is the trigger? I am afraid that most people will wait far too long to take it to that next level. Will it be waiting for the police to become a non-entity? Will it be the shut down of government offices? I think by that point, it is far too late. What are signs that you are watching for?

·
Registered
21,643 Posts
When you notice the hand out give me other peoples stuff crowd getting up set with Obama because the hand outs are not coming get ready.
When you start seeing the masses in the street on the news pack. When the first building burns leave you can always come back .
If you can find old unedited and revised film of the Watts rots and day of rage that shows how it will unfold .
Problem is they rewrote a more PC history so hard to find the truth

Reactions: TxCombatMedic

·
Registered
36 Posts
I believe that we won't know what hit us until its to late!!! unless you watch the news 24/7 there is no way really to know, I don't think there is anyway to get a head start on bugging out.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Depends upon where you live, where you are now ...

Some of us are more instinctual about such things than others I suspect. Keener senses when it comes to imminent danger.

Honestly OP, if you have to ask then, chances are, you may want to tweak your inner radar just a bit and tune-up the amp on your inner danger alarm.

What do you believe will be the signals and when will you decide to go?

Do you live in the city or the country? If you live in the country, where are you going to go?

Do you live up north or down South? Out west or Midwest?

It just all depends.

Do you have infants, babies, little children? How well have you trained your family?

·
Registered
335 Posts
When you call 911 and it is busy. When all you hear are police and ambulance sirens. For me, that is when the car will be packed and I head out.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I think that the key is awareness and communication. We are currently battling a flu epidemic nationwide. How many people are aware of it? This is not a "bug out" scenario, but if the illness were to incapacitate a big part of the population, it could get there. If people aren't aware, how can they prepare? Also, most will refuse to believe that social unrest or societal upheavals are anything but temporary aberrations. By the time they wake up, it wil be too late.

·
Registered
206 Posts
When you call 911 and it is busy. When all you hear are police and ambulance sirens. For me, that is when the car will be packed and I head out.
If you wait that long then you are screwed where you are. Even if you head south into Maryland along the Eastern Shore or wherever, if you wait until you can't get through to 911 or you hear sirens everywhere then you have screwed the pooch. You'll be a victim - a casualty.

I've been helping a friend prep - he's in Alexandria. He will not be waiting that long with his wife and baby.

Another friend of mine is in Dunkirk, his wife works in DC Metro, they've been planning for years. She'll bail on DC quickly, if she gets stuck there at all, and he'll be waiting on her to get to Dunkirk where they will head south long before 911 is clogged or they hear sirens everywhere.

·
Registered
206 Posts
I think that the key is awareness and communication. We are currently battling a flu epidemic nationwide. How many people are aware of it? This is not a "bug out" scenario, but if the illness were to incapacitate a big part of the population, it could get there. If people aren't aware, how can they prepare? Also, most will refuse to believe that social unrest or societal upheavals are anything but temporary aberrations. By the time they wake up, it wil be too late.
We've had 22 die already here in SC as of today ... it has hit us hard. We produce a lot of poultry here and some are saying there is a connection.

I disagree.

The CDC is right down the road, straight down I-20 five hours from here - nary a stop along the way. They have early warning systems all along the corridors leading into Atlanta, 20, 75, 85, etc. So, yeah, we keep up with those things around here.

A bug will not be what happens. Not to us anyways. We're waaay out in the country and we'll shut down access in a skinny second.

What might force people to bug out of cities? What is lurking out there right now - in our immediate possible future?

That is what everyone needs to be thinking of, preparing for.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
GP, I think that the population of the large cities could exacerbate any situation, and accelerate social unrest. Something like a flu epidemic could wreak havoc on already overtaxed public works and service departments. A few more call ins at work, and people get even slower responses. This leads to a public panic and someone does something stupid that sets a match to the tinder box. Boom. Hope I'm wrong, but once the mob mentality takes over, the proverbial sh#t will have hit the fan.

·
Registered
36 Posts
My problem is that I am 911, I work on a Ambo. 30 miles from my house, My fear is that I will be in the "thick of things" when SHTF and can't get home in time to bug out

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
As always, it depends what sort of SHTF hits us, here's a list I've drawn up in no particular order.
But whatever zaps us, if it causes food and water shortages that's when we can start to get worried..

1- Chernobyl-type nuclear plant accident, but on a much bigger scale, poisoning an area as big as the USA or the whole of Europe and Asia.
2- Massive meteor or asteroid strike wiping out millions with blast and tsunami, and kicking up enough dust to black out the sun for years like what wiped out the dinosaurs.
3- World War 3 exchange of nuclear weapons poisoning virtually the entire planet.
4- A plague wiping out most humans on earth after accidental release from a bio research lab, or a deliberate release by terrorists to wipe out the population of a specific country, or perhaps a virus naturally evolves that has no cure.
5- EC Event (Economic Collapse) triggering total breakdown of law and order resulting in looting gangs etc.
6- EM pulse (from a solar flare or nuclear bomb) blows out the electricity grid and electronics, it'll be bad but hopefully the govt will have contingency plans to get relief food and medicine convoys up and running.
7- Mega-earthquake bigger than anything the earth has experienced before, demolishing a whole bunch of cities across countries or continents.
8- Mega-tsunami triggered by gigantic quake at sea, wiping out coastal areas for a hundred miles or more inland.
9- Runaway volcano that carries on spewing out dust and ash for months, throwing a grey wind-carried shroud around the planet blocking out sunlight and triggering subzero temperature drops.
10- Haywire weather (nonstop storms, tornadoes, hurricanes, blizzards, floods etc) caused by global warming, pollution, ozone depletion etc

·
Registered
2,417 Posts
If you see a man with no pants running past your house with his dick flopping, you run with that man because there is some scary shit coming down that road!!!! Dave Atel. couldn't resist ;)

·
Registered
938 Posts
I like Lucky Jim's list (I have now read it so many times I think I almost have it memorized - just kidding, Jim, carry on).

But it leaves out the sudden, out-of-the-blue unexpected event. For example, when Martin Luther King was assassinated, and rioters tried to burn down many major cities that night. That should sound an alarm right away now. When the Rodney King tapes of police brutality were released, that triggered spontaneous rioting and looting, and if you did not "have your ears on" you could have driven right into the madness (ask Reginald Denny). You need to maintain situational awareness, and pay attention to what is happening in your local community. Is gang activity on the rise? Is a turf war heating up? Are there storms coming into your area? Hurricanes? I am a news and weather watcher, because it is how I plan my day every day. I also use a smart phone with web access, so seeing what is shaking is a couple of clicks away. I monitor weather and use weather alert radios.

You can only do what you can do, but I am the guy who always has his umbrella when others are running through the parking lot, if you catch my drift. It is how I live my life, every day.

·
Registered
21,643 Posts
1 - 20 of 39 Posts