Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
We live in a quiet neighborhood and the immediate neighbors are decent, and friendly! In a situation when you know there's shortage of food - the best thing for us is to keep a low profile especially when there's nowhere for us to go.
If a neighbor comes knocking at our door, of course one possible reason he comes knocking is to ask if there's any food to spare (but of course we can't be sure about that).

Should we answer the door, or just ignore the knocking until he gets tired and move away? How will you deal with this?

On one hand I don't mind giving out a can or two of food.....but that could backfire (and lead to serious problems for us) since they'll know we've got more than enough food if we can spare to give away some.

·
Registered
4,692 Posts
i would have to say that, given my circumstances ( children), I would not answer or open door. Who is to say that those two cans of food aren't last meal for my kids. Just the way it is.

·
Registered
4,692 Posts
True story-
Myself and three friends planned a vacation for quite some time. Everyone saved up, everyone set to go.
As we roadtrip from NM to California, one friend always wants to "eat cheap", when Im on vacation, I dont wanna eat the same crap iI eat at home. Everywhere we went for 10 days, this guy bitching and crying about not having enough money, lets go to taco bell instead of a restuarant, lets just not go to disneyland becouse Im short on money. So, almost everyday, we accomodate this guy, pitching in our money, dragging his broke but around with us.
The last day, we were about to leave, and he was sitting in a restroom stall, and we are all "lets go", so somebody pushed the door open, like friends would do, and this BASTARD was sitting there counting MONEY. He had more than us the whole time, while he was conning us to "help him pay for this and that". His ass almost got left in Calli.

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
I would answer the door. (armed of course with a sidearm in my holster.) I would tell him/her we are running lean ourselves and at this point every mouthful of food is vital. (as it is) I'm sorry for their situation, but we can't spare what we don't have to spare. When it gets that bad, close neighbors should have either bugged out or joined together in hunting parties with the kills shared and be working together on food source and security, but sharing what you have stored is a no go situation. Once you start you'll always be a source they'll come begging to. You open yourself up to more danger with doing besides in either word of mouth or that neighbor getting angry when you do turn them down. Best to handle it quick. And if they get angry or won't take no for an answer than you have to respond in a firmer way whether verbally or physically depending on how they are. At that point you need to watch them like a hawk also. But you should never be too trusting in the first place when shtf and it comes to that.

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
True story-
Myself and three friends planned a vacation for quite some time. Everyone saved up, everyone set to go.
As we roadtrip from NM to California, one friend always wants to "eat cheap", when Im on vacation, I dont wanna eat the same crap iI eat at home. Everywhere we went for 10 days, this guy bitching and crying about not having enough money, lets go to taco bell instead of a restuarant, lets just not go to disneyland becouse Im short on money. So, almost everyday, we accomodate this guy, pitching in our money, dragging his broke but around with us.
The last day, we were about to leave, and he was sitting in a restroom stall, and we are all "lets go", so somebody pushed the door open, like friends would do, and this BASTARD was sitting there counting MONEY. He had more than us the whole time, while he was conning us to "help him pay for this and that". His ass almost got left in Cali.
That shitbag wouldn't be my friend anymore.

·
Registered
921 Posts
If they don't know if anyone is home, (assuming you don't answer) they might decide to break in to see what they could find.
Just the other side of the coin.

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
A. Get to know your neighbors VERY WELL before the SHTF.
B. Help your neighbors before the SHTF. Maybe not prepper helping but helping them with other tasks may leave them somewhat indebted to you.
C. It is acceptable to help GOOD NEIGHBORS THAT YOU KNOW WELL after a SHTF scenario but you still play your cards close to your vest. Never tip your hand to how much you have and where it is kept.

·
Super Moderator
9,641 Posts
That is a very good question.

I have begun prepping to share. In the beginning though I'm not sure what I would do. I don't mind helping someone in need but I refuse to support them because of their lack of planning. There is a different in offering some help and someone becoming dependent on you.

·
Banned
2,112 Posts
It would honestly depend on which neighbor it was. There are some that I know are prepping, they are honest, hard working and have children like I do. One is my mother and her husband. A couple of others are members of my church so in our "group"; there are three Mormon families on the block, and four who aren't, and all of us in this group of families, talk and maintain friendly relationships.

There are other neighbors that I would shoot through the door simply for standing on my doorstep. No bullshit. Cause that's how us Mormons roll...I'll repent later. ::rambo:::grin:

·
Registered
8,068 Posts
It would honestly depend on which neighbor it was. There are some that I know are prepping, they are honest, hard working and have children like I do. One is my mother and her husband. A couple of others are members of my church so in our "group"; there are three Mormon families on the block, and four who aren't, and all of us in this group of families, talk and maintain friendly relationships.

There are other neighbors that I would shoot through the door simply for standing on my doorstep. No bullshit. Cause that's how us Mormons roll...I'll repent later. ::rambo:::grin:
You Mormons are freakin' awesome! I cannot share your faith because I was born and believe as a Lutheran. But you all have "something" that I desperately want culture wise.

Reactions: kevincali

·
Banned
2,112 Posts
You Mormons are freakin' awesome! I cannot share your faith because I was born and believe as a Lutheran. But you all have "something" that I desperately want culture wise.
Extra wives?

Hell, I used to be Baptist Inor.

::clapping:: :lol:

Reactions: shotlady and Inor

·
Banned
2,112 Posts
Seems like everyone in the LDS is a happy friendly person. I've been known to attend sacrament a time or three ;)
And most are. But like everyone else, even we have a few of "the ones". They're usually young return missionaries who married the first girl they met and realized that yes, they are as ugly as they initially thought and yes, they should have listened to their buddies. Or they're old and never developed any people skills. We promote patience though. I've only sworn at someone in church once...;-)

Reactions: kevincali

·
Banned
2,112 Posts
NO EXTRA WIVES!!!! I cannot manage the one I have! AGGGHHH!!!
I was kidding. We don't get them either. That's the "other Mormons". One is definitely more than enough though. I am totally with you on that....

Reactions: shotlady and Inor

·
Registered
8,068 Posts
I was kidding. We don't get them either. That's the "other Mormons". One is definitely more than enough though. I am totally with you on that....
Of course. I was just ribbing you. :)

·
Banned
2,112 Posts

·
Senior Member R.I.P.
2,886 Posts
How do you the knock on the door is to beg for food? And most people probably will die off from lack of potable water before their frig & pantry are empty.

But to give a neighbor food it would have to be to their understanding that it a one time thing & don't come back asking for more.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I guess it depends on how well I know and trust my neighbor. If they were someone I knew and trusted for a long time, I'd assist them with the understanding that what I have is scarce and on short supply, so don't come to me like I was their personal pantry. At that same moment we'd discuss possibly joining up to either hunt or scavenge for more to help them (or both of us, depending on what my real situation was, because I wouldn't tell them my real situation) get by. If you trust them well enough and help them get through a night or two, pulling them in as an ally can't hurt (ie: ok, I'll help you, and I'll help you more...now you have to watch my back)

On the flip side, if it's a neighbor I don't like or trust, no...not answering the door. Wife and I and whoever else is with me starts arming up and watching/listening. They make a move, we send lead in their direction.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts