Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Right now, I have two loud yapping dogs, a extremely long driveway (gravel makes it loud for people coming up it), I'm at one of the highest elevation points in my area 1700 feet (would be able to shoot downhill), I have woods all around me, most of the place has barbwire around it, pond for any house fires (rigging up electric pump). I would be able to see someone coming from over 1/2 mile away ::redsnipe:: . I have security lights, alarms, motion sensors, remote alarms, strong locks and of course two bada$$ dogs that will give someone a can of rabies ::saber:: I have a detailed diagram of distances and marker points throughout the landscape area with the yardages on them as well.

Plans:

If my family and friends had to come and stay with me, I would give each a daily task. At first I would want all four directions covered (north, east, west, south), covered 24/7. For this I need to go ahead and order the night vision gear and just move with it. Each of the 4 directions has a window on each side and since astethics don't matter to a home in post shtf, I will put ledges on the 2nd story of the house. I will need to get enough wood to make minidecks as well as the hardware. This would be my initial setup to protect my family, land and my home.

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
What... no moat with alligators? Just kidding! I like your idea on having something covered at first. I would assume that civil peace should restore itself after a period of being down, thus dropping the guard a little (not much though). Those night vision gear are going to cost you, but will be well spent. Good ideas, but have you thought about ground coverage with the trees in the way where marauders can hide behind? On the flip side, if you had to retreat out of there, you could do the same also.

Another thought is air coverage. If some jackrabbit with an airplane or heli fly's over, sees your setup, jots down the location, that would put you at a target. This is one bad drawback of solarpanels. I'm sure it will look like a large mirror in the sky to them flying over. I would just assume though.

·
Registered
693 Posts
I would go out and find some of those small game or bear traps, put them by the problem areas that you can't quite see to, camo them up and if you do have an intruder that is hiding in those areas, you can do some damage without ever seeing them. Obviously right now you would not want to set those up and leave them out in case a wandering kid steps in one, but it'd be good to have a few dozen of em around the house, JIC.

Sounds like you have done your homework. My house would be pretty much a bitch to defend. It's the 3rd house in on a cul-de-sac has no eastward facing windows and only one westward. It's got a nice basement with some windows but still pretty worthless, I am still looking for a little plot outside of town.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Holy smokes Ralph. Lil paranoid? No just kidding. I would just have to tip my hat to ya. Once I get my storage building cleaned out I plan on making window panels made out of some plywood reinforced to cover windows. They are about 4'-5' from ground so it would be hard to bust through the covers and am looking into bars to cover outside. As far as doors I'm mounting steel holders to hold 4x4 blocks that slow one down trying to kick in my doors. My home has a lot of blind spots for a intruder so I'm going to have multiple ambush spots. Currently remaking my basement entrance to be hidden. If they make it that far I have a portion of basement fenced off so they will have to cut through to get to most of my supplies giving me another opportunity for a attack. Then I have a hidden safe room off that room. If I have to leave my home I'm in trouble. Just going to stay hidden and hope I don't make onto someone's retreat like Ralph and get me head blown off. If you do have to camp it for a while go on Ebay and get I think they are called bear bells. They come with a magnetize holder so you dont make noise while hiking but set up a parimeter around camp giving you a heads up on movement.

·
Registered
56 Posts
With a Glock 19 gen4 and an M4 to start. Anymore questions? :lol:

·
Registered
24,349 Posts
Depends on the scenario. I'd rather stay where I am at, if possible. Obviously, turn/taking for security, sleeping as possible. One of the things I have in abundance is 5 Hour Energy shots. :-D
Plenty of bullets and launchers and enough magazines to allow for the repelling of a gang of the garden variety thugs, we should be OK if it is an acute case of civil unrest.
If it is something that looks more chronic, the trucks and trailers will be loaded and off to plan B, a friend's farm, adding more work hands as well as more security to that place.
None of this means a danged thing if the government decides to gun for homesteaders, preppers, patriots and the combination thereof. I've maintained the army's gunships. Hiding is not practical. It's just a matter of when they want to come and get you, if you plan on running into the woods and hiding.

·
Registered
640 Posts
Ditto... on shotladys comment

·
Registered
7,954 Posts
Depends on the scenario. I'd rather stay where I am at, if possible. Obviously, turn/taking for security, sleeping as possible. One of the things I have in abundance is 5 Hour Energy shots. :-D
Plenty of bullets and launchers and enough magazines to allow for the repelling of a gang of the garden variety thugs, we should be OK if it is an acute case of civil unrest.
If it is something that looks more chronic, the trucks and trailers will be loaded and off to plan B, a friend's farm, adding more work hands as well as more security to that place.
None of this means a danged thing if the government decides to gun for homesteaders, preppers, patriots and the combination thereof. I've maintained the army's gunships. Hiding is not practical. It's just a matter of when they want to come and get you, if you plan on running into the woods and hiding.
You can run, but you can't hide. That's why I'm staying put.

That reminds me that I should go over to the neighbors that moved in over the weekend. They are"Classic Rock Fans" I hear. They were actually raking leaves and planting bushes when a Deputy pulled up for some unknown reason.People doing yardwork in my immediate area is very, very rare.I'm worried about testing positive just by walking along the property line

ETA from my next door neighbors, not the new ones.

·
Registered
433 Posts
by any means neccesary. :)
Shotlady sums this topic up pretty good. It will take at least two things to defend your retreat. One of course is firepower, the more the better. And the second will be a large enough group to stand together. You have to sleep sometimes and will need others to keep guard and these people will have to have what it takes to pull the trigger if the time happens.

·
Registered
296 Posts
My dogs allow me to sleep the slightest movement and they will either bark or lick my face till I wake up which usually isnt long. . . But to have a group I can trust "TRULY TRUST!!" would be amazing but I can trust and do trust my dogs with my life any day of the week over any human!! How many times have humans fallen asleep on their watch? I just have a trust issue with 99.99999% of people.

·
Registered
24,349 Posts
My dogs allow me to sleep the slightest movement and they will either bark or lick my face till I wake up which usually isnt long. . . But to have a group I can trust "TRULY TRUST!!" would be amazing but I can trust and do trust my dogs with my life any day of the week over any human!! How many times have humans fallen asleep on their watch? I just have a trust issue with 99.99999% of people.
After working sentry dogs and patrol dogs in the army, it is my professional opinion that your way of seeing things is awesome.
I didn't always trust a human partner, but I never distrusted my K-9 partners.

·
Registered
24,349 Posts
We aren't zombies. The idea is to already have a place to go, not to blindly wander the countryside, looking for handouts from those who do not work in the cities.

·
Registered
24,349 Posts
I'm not a zombie, anyway. My neighbor, on the other hand....:|

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Right now, I have two loud yapping dogs, a extremely long driveway (gravel makes it loud for people coming up it), I'm at one of the highest elevation points in my area 1700 feet (would be able to shoot downhill), I have woods all around me, most of the place has barbwire around it, pond for any house fires (rigging up electric pump). I would be able to see someone coming from over 1/2 mile away ::redsnipe:: . I have security lights, alarms, motion sensors, remote alarms, strong locks and of course two bada$$ dogs that will give someone a can of rabies ::saber:: I have a detailed diagram of distances and marker points throughout the landscape area with the yardages on them as well.

Plans:

If my family and friends had to come and stay with me, I would give each a daily task. At first I would want all four directions covered (north, east, west, south), covered 24/7. For this I need to go ahead and order the night vision gear and just move with it. Each of the 4 directions has a window on each side and since astethics don't matter to a home in post shtf, I will put ledges on the 2nd story of the house. I will need to get enough wood to make minidecks as well as the hardware. This would be my initial setup to protect my family, land and my home.
Remember engineers build weapons, civil engineers build targets. Anything stationary is a target. The keys to successful survival retreats are low key (hard to detect), hard to get to and limited avenues of approach. Once discovered, If you can channel your attackers into a kill zone you will be able to hold them off while the rest of your people get out.

·
Registered
938 Posts
Firearms. Ammo. Teams. Sandbags. Rural property. One road access, treed land with cleared zones in front of it.

Already have a terraced defensive platform, three-tiers to defend or fall back and re-defend, below grade reinforced with timbers. Water supply, and a last-ditch defense zone below grade covered in boulders. With a retreat path if all that fails.

If the bad guys get past all that, well, we would have given them hell while we lasted.

·
Banned
1,683 Posts
What... no moat with alligators? Just kidding! I like your idea on having something covered at first. I would assume that civil peace should restore itself after a period of being down, thus dropping the guard a little (not much though). Those night vision gear are going to cost you, but will be well spent. Good ideas, but have you thought about ground coverage with the trees in the way where marauders can hide behind? On the flip side, if you had to retreat out of there, you could do the same also.

Another thought is air coverage. If some jackrabbit with an airplane or heli fly's over, sees your setup, jots down the location, that would put you at a target. This is one bad drawback of solarpanels. I'm sure it will look like a large mirror in the sky to them flying over. I would just assume though.
you know, that's funny because I was going to say moat with alligators with tiger trap pits after that

1 - 19 of 19 Posts