Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I didn't want to start 2 different threads, so here are 2 questions.

I have a 99 dodge ram 1500 4x4 truck and I want to know how well will it would do in very rough offroad conditions. What worries me is that the wheelbase is too long (quad cab and 8ft bed.) Should I get a skid plate or should I try to get something smaller?

I am looking for a truck camper as a short/log term shelter. I saw a youtube video who showed many of the points and I think that that would work for me. Do any of you have one, and if you do how well do you like it. BTW I'm looking at this 14ft' slide in CAMPER or this **CAMPER**TRUCK**CAMPER** .

·
Registered
634 Posts
Those bed campers are going to make you very top heavy, I would say with something on it like what you linked to would only be good with very light off roading. I would personally just look into a camper shell on the bed if you plan on doing any real off roading.

·
Registered
85 Posts
From my younger days camping with my father one thing I remember is a slide in camper makes your truck top heavy and the bigger you go the more unstable even on paved roads.

The 14 ft is most likely going to be way big for your 1500 in my opinion. As for skid plates and what not is going to depend on just where you plan to go.

My thinking would be get as far off the beaten path, using camper jacks off load the camper setting up a home base then you have the truck to get around with.

Just thinking

Karsten

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
I have done a lot of off road by myself and with clubs. The first thing you need is a good wench and I don't care how well you have it set up, it should be rated at around twice the weight of your vehicle. Now one of the first mistakes people do is just put bigger tires on their truck without changing the rear diff/ratio loosing you a lot of the torque need to climb hills. Long wheel base can be both good and bad. One thing you will find when going off road is by far most of the vehicles are Jeeps, so a lot of the hard spots to get around have the same spots eroded because that is where all the jeeps spin their tires getting over it. Everything is usually a trade off higher tires gives you more ground clearance but also makes it easier to flip on a hill if it goes sideways. Locking differentials would also be a big help, 4-wheel drive does not lock your wheels together if you get in a ditch or both tire on one side slip then you aren't going anywhere unless you are lucky enough to be able to use your brakes to lock up the spinning wheels. Well I could probably go on and on but if you do only one thing make sure you have a good winch.

PS. I have found that the more you make you vehicle off road worthy the worse you will get it stuck sometime as it will just allow you to be going into places you shouldn't be going into.

My son said that didn't look to deep.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I have been toying with the idea of bobbing a deuce and a half m35a2 and then putting the slide in camper in the bed. The weight of the vehicle would off set the top heavy camper. If anyone is interested in one let me know and I will start building one! Below is an example one of my bobbed deuces with a soft top! Im bobbing another one right now that has a winch if anyone is interested.

Samsung galaxy S pictures 247.jpg

·
Registered
2,797 Posts
If your doing much off roading the previous poster was right, might be way a head just using a camper shell over the bed of the truck. It will keep your profile lower and make you less prone to tipping over. Gas mpg will be a heck of a lot better too than with a camper on it.

·
Registered
135 Posts
If your doing much off roading the previous poster was right, might be way a head just using a camper shell over the bed of the truck. It will keep your profile lower and make you less prone to tipping over. Gas mpg will be a heck of a lot better too than with a camper on it.
My bobbed deuces weigh 12,000lb the slide in camper is 3000. That is light for this truck at steep angles it will be ok. I can also install a tilt sensors that warns the driver. The multifuel engine runs of gas, diesel, veg oil, used motor oil, and many other fuels. The bobbed deuces normally get about 12-13 mpg and top out at 75-80 mph. Guys considering using winches please do not think that you need to have a big winch that is capable of lifting your vehicle weight and more. The use of snatch blocks double your pulling power per each snatch block used. Turn a 5,000 lb winch into a 10,000 using only one snatch block!

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
I have done a lot of off road by myself and with clubs. The first thing you need is a good wench
I don't know of any bar girl that can do what you are asking.

If you have a "WINCH" that might be different, those can pull a lot.

Reactions: StarPD45

·
Registered
492 Posts
I didn't want to start 2 different threads, so here are 2 questions.

I have a 99 dodge ram 1500 4x4 truck and I want to know how well will it would do in very rough offroad conditions. What worries me is that the wheelbase is too long (quad cab and 8ft bed.) Should I get a skid plate or should I try to get something smaller?

I am looking for a truck camper as a short/log term shelter. I saw a youtube video who showed many of the points and I think that that would work for me. Do any of you have one, and if you do how well do you like it. BTW I'm looking at this 14ft' slide in CAMPER or this **CAMPER**TRUCK**CAMPER** .
I have a slide-in camper for my pickup. And the gentleman is correct it will make you top heavy. But I just set it up on a platform with it's jacks and I can have my lodging and drive myself silly and then slide her back in and move my camp where I want. I love mine. It aint bullet proof but then neither am I... I'm about to set up solar panels top side. Good luck and let us know how yours turns out. Be safe! Have a great weekend all!

punch

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
I don't know of any bar girl that can do what you are asking.

If you have a "WINCH" that might be different, those can pull a lot.
Ok you got me but if you did have a big enough wench, you might not need a winch. A winch on a two wheel drive pickup will eventually get you further into the woods then a 4-wheel drive without one. Best is go with other people with winches the bigger the better and the longer the cable the better also. Winch are rated on the last roll of winding on the real so if it is rated at 9000 lbs it may have 7000 lbs at the beginning. Another very useful tool is a small chainsaw and if you have a winch be sure to get a snatch block leather gloves and nylon strap. Something like a KINETIC RECOVERY ROPE or even polyester or nylon tow strap will also help when pulling someone out as the stretching will act as stored energy adding to the pull of your vehicle.

·
8,980 Posts
I'm not into off roading, but in my neck of the woods, experience seems to suggest that you just deeper into the woods when you get stuck.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
But I just set it up on a platform with it's jacks and I can have my lodging and drive myself silly and then slide her back in and move my camp where I want.

punch
That is what I like about the truck camper. And if my truck dies I could slide another one right under it and continue on.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Nothing wrong with your truck but in order to get out of town and into the back country i would recommend a winch (12,000 ) a recovery kit, a locker or limited slip for your rear end and a set of air bags in order to keep your rig level and adds stibility. half ton long bed crew cabs are not the best for hauling heavy loads a 3/4 ton might have been a better choice but work with what you have and keep the maintance up and you should be able to get out without issues.

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
Considered an Expedition Trailer?

·
Registered
85 Posts
Get something like this...Not 4x4 but I have had it off the beaten path om hard pack dirt roads 20 miles or so.

And haul a single place or 2 place trailer behind it for one of these and additional gear and water.

Just thinking but that is a big expense.

Karsten

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Get something like this...Not 4x4 but I have had it off the beaten path om hard pack dirt roads 20 miles or so.

And haul a single place or 2 place trailer behind it for one of these and additional gear and water.

Just thinking but that is a big expense.

Karsten
I thought about a bigger camper, however:
1. I already have a good working truck with limited 4x4 capability
2. The only used campers of that size are that are powered are either too expensive or are from the 50's with need of alot of TLC

But another option maybe could be and old school bus. That would be cool riding out in the end of the world with a school bus!

But I'll keep looking. And my dad told me that my great-uncle apparently came up the original idea/design for the truck campers, but sold the patent to Ford!

·
Registered
2,608 Posts
The number one easiest thing that you can manipulate that will get you by in an off road situation is air pressure in your tires. The lower the pressure the more traction, however it will affect ground clearance on a long rig. But you will likely not be going over large obsticles with your rig with a four door long box any way. Depending on load rating on your tires and the total weight of your rig, you will need to adjust the lowest pressure you dare go with out blowing tires off the bead. This comes with experience. I run my D range tires on my jeep down to 9-1/2 Lbs front and 8-1/2 Lbs back with out fear of blowing them off the beads. 6 or 7 psi will roll them off. If you have C range tires on a rig as big as you describe you are looking at 15 front 12 rear.

In almost any situation lowered tire pressure will get you huge gains in off road performance. To a point, then larger tires, lift kits, lockers come into play. All add major cost.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts