Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
6,086 Posts
Is there a way that could prevent the cascade of events? if the vigilantes struck as soon as the police should would it cause the same escalation?
I think it would, and I see no way around it when it begins. There is no way to morally prevent crime.

·
Mod Squad
2,260 Posts
The article is a joke. It kinda started out as somewhat plausible, but went right down the crapper in a hurry.

Ex-military death squads in pickups? They preplot elevated firing positions that are within 200-300 yards of every intersection, then stand ready to roll at a minute's notice? They use one word code phrases to communicate? These ex special forces guys use bipods on their ARs even though they are shooting from behind sandbags? Pathetic.

Reality check: yer not gonna have a clear field of fire prone in the back of a pickup from 200-300 yards out. There are parked cars, cars moving and abandoned in the street, and the bad guys are behind barricades. In a no-law situation, you WILL have everyone on that block lighting your ass up from second story windows and roofs. Your nice pickup will look like Sonny's car at the toll booth in the Godfather in about 30 seconds.

Good thing the bad guys all use handguns and nonzeroed AKs. Interesting that the author assumes all the cops are either too tired to bother or would take hours to assemble a SWAT team. Interesting that the National Guard is nowhere in sight.

If you think this is in any way realistic, come try that shit in my neighborhood and see how far you get. But put your affairs in order first... you won't be around long enough to form a mob.

Reactions: Meangreen

·
Registered
570 Posts
Interesting article. The author, Matt Bracken, is one helluva writer, and I've read some of his work before. Very plausible, though it does suffer from a few issues. In this one, I feel that he makes many assumptions that aren't necessarily true. Gangs/flash mobs only using close to medium range weapons for instance. While I'll agree, that is probably quite plausable, there are more than a few former military members in these gangs, and it'd likely that they could adapt to the changing scenario. Either way, I'll agree that while the Government will fail to stop the mobs, they will go after the more successful vigilantes with a vengeance.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
I have to say I agree with all the comments I read more than with the article it's self in any way. I especially like and agree with our polite society being a "thin veneer". Most "experts" agree inner city normalcy will last 72 hours. Then people are going hungry. Hungry people do desperate things. People hungry enough will become unpredictable wild animals. Simple self preservation instincts take over, and I'm afraid I'll disagree all day long with those who say humans at their core are well meaning "good" creatures. :( I've seen 43 years of evidence proving otherwise. If a human is being "good". It's because they stand to gain personally somehow. Wish it weren't true. But...

·
Banned
1,711 Posts
Human are not basically good creatures. The veneer of civility is only at best skin deep. Just look at what happens in Africa on an almost daily basis. This weekend's EBT crisis only goes to prove that things are really out of control. The program was set up to help folks get past a short term problem. It's now a "Benefit" provided to the "poor" from the "rich" I'm terribly sorry that there are not enough jobs for the folks that want them. I'm sorry that everything the feds have done in the last 50 years has been to make sure that jobs don't exist. And I'm really P- -ded that my money (taxes) are paying for two clueless thugs/thuggettes king/queen life style. As far as the scenario that the author predicts, one only has to take a look at Katrina and what happened in New Orleans. Not a pretty sight. But it was isolated. the EBT this past weekend was in 17 states. Yes it could happen. And two weeks food supply in a family's home is optimistic. My guess is that it's less than a week at best

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Human are not basically good creatures. The veneer of civility is only at best skin deep. Just look at what happens in Africa on an almost daily basis. This weekend's EBT crisis only goes to prove that things are really out of control. The program was set up to help folks get past a short term problem. It's now a "Benefit" provided to the "poor" from the "rich" I'm terribly sorry that there are not enough jobs for the folks that want them. I'm sorry that everything the feds have done in the last 50 years has been to make sure that jobs don't exist. And I'm really P- -ded that my money (taxes) are paying for two clueless thugs/thuggettes king/queen life style. As far as the scenario that the author predicts, one only has to take a look at Katrina and what happened in New Orleans. Not a pretty sight. But it was isolated. the EBT this past weekend was in 17 states. Yes it could happen. And two weeks food supply in a family's home is optimistic. My guess is that it's less than a week at best
It's hard to say I "like" your post. But it's all true imo. I don't think I'm being paranoid to say this EBT thing was done on purpose either. Did the government want to see for themselves what would happen? No. I think they're already fully aware. As hard as it is to think a politician did something like this.... :D I think they did it as a reality check for the people. Still not a good idea to put it in major media to much, because somebody will start crying "racism", or "profiling", or worse! How did it happen?!? If liberals found out it WAS a test, HOLY COW! :shock: Then it'd REEEAAAALLLLLY hit fan!!!

·
Premium Member
2,943 Posts
Nice article. Quite a bit of truth mixed in with pure fantasy and speculation. I think the beginning is accurate but the end is story telling. However, with that said, suburban neighborhood will be defended. I'm sure the government will suspend 2a like Katrina (and many if not most will give in to it), the media will side with the poor and the police will indeed be overwhelmed but the national guard will step in. They may not be able to handle some of it though. Snipers in trucks? Fantasy. Vigilantly going out to interdict? Fantasy. Will there be vigilantism? Sure. However most of any action will be in defense of our neighborhoods.

Reason to be prepared? Definitely.

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
There are some good aspect of the article on point in possibilities and others not. I think a National Guard response and inner city lockdown will happen much faster and smaller communities will have meetings where police and community volunteers will form a protective force much faster, big government be damned. The vigilante response to such mobs is certainly a reality while it may or may not go down at times as he proposed in the article. Tactics are formed around an environment. Overall it was a good article of theories I thought.

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
It's more accurate I think to say people have both light and dark sides and are capable of letting either run free at times and people by choice decide which to let at each moment. We all do things we regret, but there are quite a lot of people that actively choose and work to be good people while others choose to be bad without concern for their actions. It's never a simple one sided aspect of human nature and actions.

·
Registered
2,563 Posts
It's funny how many on a prepper forum would think such actions as people behaving so badly or that some people would stop at nothing if given the chance. Call it profiling, racist or what ever but history has shown what does happen and good people die believing that people are not going to do bad crap. I hope more people would react as the story unfolds, reality shows many innocent people dying because they waited for someone else to save them. To those who are planning on banding together, make sure you check for liberals, lawyers, politicians, bleeding hearts and lazy people, yes you must profile if you want to survive and some so called good people may loose out but that's not such a bad thing for those that live through it. When it comes to making those hard decisions, just stop and think why most of the bad crap happens and who really allows/promotes it, then double tap and move on.

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
To those who are planning on banding together, make sure you check for liberals, lawyers, politicians, bleeding hearts and lazy people, yes you must profile if you want to survive and some so called good people may loose out but that's not such a bad thing for those that live through it. When it comes to making those hard decisions, just stop and think why most of the bad crap happens and who really allows/promotes it, then double tap and move on.
Prepper tool list:

1. Liberal, lawyer, politician, bleeding heart, lazy bastard extraction tool. Check.

392049.jpg

:mrgreen:

·
Mod Squad
2,260 Posts
Looting? Sure. Rioting? Probably. The rest of it... not gonna happen, at least not like that.

The author divided gun owners into 3 categories. The poor minorities who seem more concerned with raping white woman than eating. They can't shoot well, but don't really care where their bullets go. Obviously , handguns and AKs are only used by criminals and should be outlawed.

Then we have the blood-crazed ex-military types who use the dreaded ARs to form death squads. In the end, they wear masks and steal cars to carry out their program of genocide. Obviously AR-15s are dangerous and should be outlawed before this happens!

Lastly we have the millions of hunters with scoped rifles who are all capable of the same kind of mayhem, but at 1,000 yards or more. Though lacking in details, the implication is that this group is even more dangerous than the vets with ARs. Obviously, scoped rifles are dangerous and should be banned!

It is a fairly well written shill piece, I'll give them that. Nobody ever claimed the anti-gun crowd are all stupid. The article follows a classic pattern: present some actual or plausible information to gain the reader's trust, then take it into the La La Land of fantasy and the sheeple will assume that's true too. Create a post that, on the surface, makes you look like you support something, while actually painting all gun owners as homicidal maniacs who need to be stopped. Bravo!

·
Registered
570 Posts
It is a fairly well written shill piece, I'll give them that. Nobody ever claimed the anti-gun crowd are all stupid. The article follows a classic pattern: present some actual or plausible information to gain the reader's trust, then take it into the La La Land of fantasy and the sheeple will assume that's true too. Create a post that, on the surface, makes you look like you support something, while actually painting all gun owners as homicidal maniacs who need to be stopped. Bravo!
You obviously have no idea who Matthew Bracken is, or you wouldn't be including him with the anti-gun crowd.

·
Mod Squad
2,260 Posts
If, instead of fantasy, you want a look at how it would really go down...

When 'assault weapons' saved Koreatown

During the 1992 LA riots, Korean businessmen formed militias and defended their neighborhoods. Some 500 rounds were fired, mostly into the air. Only 4 looters were killed. There were no roving death squads, no genocide... only responsible gun owners using their 2nd amendment rights to defend their property... the way it was designed to work.

·
Mod Squad
2,260 Posts
Yeah, I know who he is. He's that ex-SEAL who likes to write sensationalist stuff in order to sell books.

Reactions: Meangreen
1 - 20 of 45 Posts