Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have taken it upon myself to transform my house dogs, into multi functioning, useful, self sustaining animals for a SHTF scenario, as I believe that they could be the best possible tools with correct and constant training.
While they still make GREAT house dogs (great with kids,family, and other small pets), the have excellent obedience training. They respect commands for the basics (sit,stay,down,heal,come), and also know some special ones like 'Down and crawl', 'silence', 'Guard', 'warn'
We have also taught them about personal, and property protection (they will guard objects, places, or people), with bite training integrated as well (Comes naturally for most molosser breeds).

we have trained and practiced(which is SO much fun!!) to make the dogs useful for the following:
-Pulling any form of sled,cart,travois
-Hauling out objects
-Personal/property protection
-Hunting (they can hunt small game on their own, or when teamed with other dogs hunt in natural pack formation, have taken down healthy deer before)
-Scouting/Search and rescue

Do you have your dog(s) trained for anything in particular? Even small dogs can be useful!!

·
Registered
433 Posts
My wife's dog, a Shitzu, might make a few decent meals for us for say like a week. She is fat but I bet she would be tender.

·
Registered
70 Posts
My Great Dane would kill over in 30 minutes with no A/C. The best, smartest dog I have ever had, but he is, shall we say, climatized and spoiled. He is scared of dang near every animal put on this Earth. I originally got him for hunting hogs, he got sprayed by a skunk when training as a pup and has never been the same since. He has discovered the couch and A/C is less stressful.

·
Registered
13 Posts
that's insane - I guess being sprayed by a skunk as a child (pup) would be traumatizing as.

·
Registered
102 Posts
My border collie would be great if anything needs watering-he pees on everything. He would be useless in a SHTF situation, since he would give away our location by barking at any & everything. The other dog, part shepard & great pyronees, would be a benefit. If anyone were to try to touch my wife (her loved Mom) they would pull back a bloody stump. Only issue she has it that she is hard of listening, has a mind of her own.

·
Registered
192 Posts
My dog is a duh, nice dog a Lab just not a good warning or defense animal. When things look bad I intend to hit the pound and get three large breed bitches of a Shepard type who will never see the inside of the house. They will be left to roam to warn of anything coming and to protect the garden and animals. My male dog is intact so replacement dogs will not be a problem.

·
Registered
64 Posts
My husband and I have 4 dogs, a boston terrier, a lab/sheppard mix, and 2 pit bulls. ALL are spoiled rotten and for the most part would be useless. However they all are great at alarming of unusual sounds and a few individuals that have entered our home invited have been given a up close and personal "once over" by our male pit. The female pit is more on guard and would be my guess the one that would be more likely to protect and defend property/people. Even though the lab/sheppard mix and boston terrier are the smarter of the group, they really do nothing special except give unconditional love.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have a Great Dane and a mutt. Both are good for alarm.
The mutt may defend, but doubtful. The Great Dane, useless.
Afraid of everything.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts