1 1/2 c. very hot water
Pinch of salt, sugar and red pepper flakes
1 1/4 c. olive oil, divided
2 tbsp. basil
1 tbsp. oregano
1 tbsp. parsley
1 tsp. minced garlic
1/2 tsp. salt

For bread, activate yeast in bowl with hot water. Add to large bowl and fold in flour, 1/4 cup olive oil, salt, sugar and hot pepper flakes. Knead. Cover bowl and let stand in warm place until it doubles in size. Divide into 3 pieces. Preheat oven to 450. Lightly cover cookie sheet with cornmeal. Roll out dough and place on cookie sheet and bake until golden.

For sauce, mix 1 cup olive oil, basil, oregano, parsley, garlic and salt. Paint baked flatbread surface with mixture and add your favorite toppings such as sliced tomatoes, capers, sauteed onions, Aslago cheese, etc. Bake until cheese is bubbly. Store unused sauce in refrigerator.

·
Registered
24,298 Posts
Thanks for the recipe, but bread is not on our diet. Recently went Paleo.

Of course, I made that decision right after coming home with six boxes of Belvitas, eight boxes of Nilla Wafers and ten boxes of Triscuits.

:shock:

·
Registered
887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So your not a strict Paleo then. And Nilla wafers sound yummy as a short term prep. Gotta keep the little ones happies and babies. Oh yummy for them.

·
Registered
24,298 Posts
So your not a strict Paleo then. And Nilla wafers sound yummy as a short term prep. Gotta keep the little ones happies and babies. Oh yummy for them.
No, I am a strict Paleo, that is what is so danged annoying about it. Those items are placed on the TEOTWAWKI shelves for barter purposes.
I never claimed to be very smart. :grin:

·
Registered
481 Posts
Yeast is NOT in my plan because there are lots of decent recipes that don't require yeast and have minimal ingredients. Chances are your hands will be pretty tired from manually chopping wood, doing laundry, etc. I would highly recommend getting a cheap tortilla press for flatbreads because it will save your hands and and make them look much nicer.
Here's a couple of decent recipes to try out.

Flour Tortilla Recipe
Yeast Free Bread Recipe - Food.com - 67405
Exquisite Yeastless Focaccia Recipe - Allrecipes.com (In, DHG

·
Registered
292 Posts
We don't do the yeast thing either. Our Gluten-Free way of eating does have any need for it. However, for those who do prep with yeast and preserve it by keeping in frozen or in a cold cellar or some sort.

·
Registered
130 Posts
How long would yeast store any way? and how would you store it? We made some yeast rolls on Sunday and they were pretty good.

·
Registered
201 Posts
We have 3 1 lb vac sealed packages in the freezer. If we have to BO or power down the yeast should stay active for a long time as long as its kept reasonably cool. But as been said yeast will not be a high priority.

·
Banned
1,683 Posts
You can MAKE yeast. It is present on the skin of most fruits and vegetables. It is also present on sprouted corn and barley. Apple peels are great for this. So are raisins. You just put the raisins in water and let them sit until they float and the water smells like wine. YEAST WATER! They moonshine and bake with this. soaking apple peel in water like this is the activator for hard apple cider (yum) you just float in water till it smells nice and yeasty, and yes it won't be pretty. But it works! Like for zucchini bread, just peel a zucchini soak in water for about five-six days. Then add that yeast water to a part of water for the recipe and get baking. The flavor will carry through.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts