Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
I've often thought of growing potatoes in half wine barrels. That way I can save space and not worry about the potatoes depleting the nutrients in the soil.

Oh. Not sure if its in your article, but be sure and buy seed potatoes. Most potatoes are sprayed with an anti sprout spray so they don't root at the store.

·
Registered
900 Posts
I have tried this and so did my sister just south of me. Maybe it is our area but neither of us had any success with this method. I find it a better method to till the ground into powder and make sure there is lots of organic matter in the soil. then I put the potatoes on the top of the ground and bury them. both of the last 2 years have had well over 1000 lbs. last year about 1150lbs and this year already 1400 and still have some in the ground because I haven't had the time to dig them up. This is from a row 3 foot wide and 150 foot long.

I think you have to play around and find the right method for your area. I have seen some pretty cool looking set ups for this if it works for you.

·
Registered
4,209 Posts
I've heard of it before, . . . never tried it, . . . probably will now, but not till spring.

Put it on facebook, though.

May God bless,
Dwight

·
Registered
8,068 Posts
I had hear of growing potatoes in tires before, but I have never had it described in detail before. I would not have thought to stack the tires 5-6 high. Thanks for the info!

·
Registered
21,643 Posts
Mother earth news showed this years ago using saw dust. In pails

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I hope that sawdust was not the only source in which the potatoes were planted. Like most plants they should get their nutrition from SOIL and KevinCali pointed out make sure you're not planting seedlings from cut of potatoes from the supermarket which MIGHT have been sprayed to prevent root growth.

BTW KevinCali yes that was my article. I write for several websites/blogs, glad you enjoyed it.

Keep It Growing!
Desert Marine

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Thanks, printed off the article and I will give it a shot this spring.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts