Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to get a decent quality switchblade but they are all over $150, are there any good knives that are <$50 CAD (preferably from Canada so I don't have to pay international shipping or on amazon because I don't approve of their actions)

I'm kind of new to this and I want more of a casual EDC kit

·
Super Moderator
1-6 months, natural disasters or economic collapse
9,630 Posts
Oh, I didn't know that

Edit: they are ok but they are obviously not CATSA (canadian TSA) safe
You should check again...
Unless this is out of date, it is illegal to possess any "automatic knife" which opens via gravity, centrifugal force, or by button operated spring mechanism.

You can legally own and carry "one-handed" knives, but they cannot fall under the definition in your criminal code of a "prohibited weapon".

·
Registered
6,106 Posts
I think my folding EDC is something like 1/2" too long to carry in my state.

I'm not losing sleep over it.

Like a knife-seller told me once, if "they" want to get you on something, they will. A 2" pen-knife will do.

·
Registered
5,854 Posts
I've owned a lot of switchblades during the time when they were a very serious attribute of self-defense. But that time has passed. Since now just about every drug seller and paranoid entrant can find an automatic knife in a matter of minutes.

I think the idea of a "buzzer" which zaps an attacker is a better idea. You can escape unharmed, and a properly controlled electrical device isn't going to kill the attacker, just permit you to escape. Yes, I have legally registered firearms.

I don't even carry these firearms in my car, and those items are all legally registered. I guess you reach an age where avoiding trouble is tantamount, and "finding" trouble is just about everywhere.

·
Registered
5,854 Posts
BTW "Player," I do have a drawer full of cheap folders and switchblades dating back to days in sales. But here's my thought, I wouldn't buy a cheap knife--even from me. The whole idea of "safety items" is anchored in the premise that even in a serious problem, the expensive items you buy will most likely be the items that save you from serious injuries.

I would also consider the items you carry for defense against probable thugs. If the thug is big and strong, and your folder cost eight bucks, my guess is that the blade might actually fold up.

I ditched the cheap stuff a few decades ago. I even put excellent folders in my crappy work jeans. Look at it this way, that knife is probably a "tool." Then again, it might turn out to be "medical" in the final chapter.

·
Registered
5,854 Posts
As I stated, I have a drawer full of cheap knives. I should modify that statement and suggest that I also have some folders that are both ideal and tough.

May I suggest the Burnley Design "Tuna" folder. After all, if you just type "Burnley Design Tuna" into your 'search' bar at the bottom of your computer, you can get a complete page of something like 30 pictures of this same folder.

Now, I must confess, I just wanted a simple clip folder for my jeans. I assumed the 'Tuna' was the usual junk that sprung to pieces at the end of autumn. I was mistaken. The Burnley "Tuna" is one of the most sturdy and usable folders I've been using for a couple of months now. I have polished the edge once. After all, this folder has yet to turn up dinged or dull. It still slices like a scalpel.

It's not a thing of beauty despite being well fitted and sharpened. The blade and rear stainless steel side appears "worn" since every edge seems to have the color rubbed off the edges; frankly, I see this all of the time. I think the factory wants to make the knife appear it can take a beating while still in the shipping container.

So, here's my suggestion. We have a lot of guys who want to collect tools and designs to out-live the Apocalypse. To that, I'm a knife guy. I won't put a folder in my jeans unless I'm sure it's strong enough and sharp enough to make a street thug cry for his mommy. And trust me, I polished this edge just once, and it just won't ding.

Remember the name, "Burnley 'Tuna'." If you just like to puncture a can of Pennzoil for simple fun on a clueless Saturday night, I suggest the 'Tuna.'

Reasonable price. Pocket comfortable. Sharp edge. Few braggarts have one. 'Nuff said.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts