Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Unfortunately I can't afford a gun right now. Though, I am saving up penny by penny to do so.

But should something like STHF happens before I could buy a gun, how would I go about getting guns?

I'm good with my hands but against somebody with a gun, there's not much my fists can do. Knives is the only other thing I got.

I could go to local Gun Shops and Sporting Good Stores and try to loot guns and ammo, but I imagine I won't be the only one in the city thinking that, and it'd probably be dangerous with all the chaos.

So what can I do?

Do I just hunker down and wait till somebody get's taken out so I can go a take their guns?

What options do I have?

I'd like to hear your opinions.

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
i got this one last night, but have to wait my ten days.
sig sauer m400 my son got it for me. its a223 like shooting a 22. no kick.

you can get a used gun in fine condition.
i will say im biased.
but i sure do like my beretta fs92. its a 9mm
just because that dame thing is a work horse.
i get kinda weepy when i think about how sexy this one is...

i like 9mm because the ammo is cheaper and easy to get.

guns are like motorcycles. you have to ride your own ride. dont let any one set the pace or standard for you.
machos like to jump in and talk crazy caliburs.
a nice little 22 will cost ya 300 bux and the ammo is cheap. cabelas always has specials.
like right now 2100 rounds for 85 bux- 5 dollar shipping and a 22 will put a nice hole in some ones ass just the same.
make sure to get a name brand. as they have lifetime warranties... when its show time you cant have jamming and ammo princess.

I love my ruger sr 22 ! light and cheap 299 in an other state than ca (399 in ca)! a hoot to shoot! its the smaller one
the othter in this pic is the M&p 9mm some love that gun- my range coach says its tops!

now if i only was going to get one gun. honest-id go rugger 10/22
they are 250 tops excellent for four and 2 legged varmits should you need to hunt.
sorry bout the finger here.

th other guns featured are the 38 snub nose revolver. its rather obnoxious.
and the s&w 22a1 with was a super match gun accurate as hell... went 5.5 barel on that its big and bulky.
excellent target piece. but an ammo snob

sorry bout the finger there.

now i do stress the 22 as it is easy/cheap to practice... and get ammo reserve.
and if you cant afford to practice the damn thing does you no good.

you can get a decent 9-40 handgun for 550 bux.
used 3-400
you dont wanna be looting.. such is the concept of prepping...

do not bother with 380 as they are tempramental and ammo costs and is harder to find deals on. its more than 40 call ammo. its a specialty/novelty gun. i have the walther ppks .380. not for beginners this gun will bite you.
i dont play with it much and have it at my bug out/ back up storage unit because i dont notice it missing...not one bit.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Go to the pawn shop good deals there cheap and you can nego.
Anything is better than nothing. .22 38. 9mm .45 anything you can get a lever gun in 30/30 for
About /275.00

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
i wil say go to the range and rent one, usually its one price, 10 bucks and you can trade it and try multiple guns.
thats the best way to find the right one that fits you and your shooting style.

·
Registered
466 Posts
At our local flea market, you can usually find a .06 bolt action for under $300.00 and .22's for a hundred or less. No excuse for not haveing something in your closet

·
Registered
466 Posts
Go to the pawn shop good deals there cheap and you can nego.
Anything is better than nothing. .22 38. 9mm .45 anything you can get a lever gun in 30/30 for
About /275.00
But even better to buy from Craigs list or something similar, a little more on the quiet side !

·
Registered
54 Posts
and right now im trying to find a kel tec p11 or taurus 24/7 9mm both guns you can find under 300 and allot of people say they are really nice firearms.

·
Registered
640 Posts
I'm reading through the comments and wondering if we answered the original question... How to get a gun AFTER the SHTF, not finding cheap guns now.

I agree that it is easier to get a gun with a gun... so having something right now, even a cheap .22 is worth the effort. But... what Candela suggested was what we all think but never say.... become a "pirate" and take what we need from someone not strong enough to hold onto it. It seems uncivilized but in an "event" situation, we are all legally under duress... i.e., forced to do uncivilized things to keep ourselves and other alive.

So.... I'd offer this to Candela. Be able to distinguish between your "friends" and your "acquaintances" in your area. Some will help you... others will take from you. Rate them the same and be prepared to do the same. Get to know which "friends" have weapons and which "jerks" have weapons and then go shop at the jerk store.

Keep in mind that many preppers have more than they need, and when they bug out, they leave things behind... usually stashed in case they get a chance to come back for them. So... you need to think about how you would hide something when you search a place. Yes... I know your next question... how do I figure out what places to search.

First, I'd suggest an easy route... look under the seat and in the glove box of abandoned pickups, privately owned work trucks, and semi's. There's a chance the driver was taken out before he got to his weapon and these types of vehicles are more likely to have guns.

You mentioned sporting goods stores. Most people hit them for gear... I'd hit them for customer lists. Preppers, hunters, gun enthusiasts... all shop somewhere and leave a trail of info behind. Grab customer lists, and then you know where to shop.

Another good source is taxidermy shops... killing these animals takes weapons... and the owners leave work orders with addresses behind.

However, you need to keep in mind that the "event" will determine whether or not these people are around to defend their stuff and it may not be as easy as it sounds. Plus... it's a lot harder to shoot someone when they aren't shooting at you first. Are you really up to shooting some guy, taking his stuff, and leaving his wife and children behind unprotected for the other criminals to take advantage of. It takes a certain moral flexibility to do what you are hinting at. So... keep that in mind as well.

That being said, I have to be honest and say that if you are just starting out... I'd highly recommend you work a few extra hours each week, save up, and buy what you need and don't go "looking" for weapons post-event. More than likely, you'll end up getting yourself killed and just providing your gear to another. Bottom line, collect what you need now... bug out... keep your head down... and just stay alive until the threat lessons to the point that you can handle it. Just my two cents...

Reactions: Irish

·
Registered
130 Posts
I have been wanting a 223 but have have not got there yet. I just got a ruger 22 mag and a mossberg 500 12 gauge this year. I have not fired either one so far, but have plenty of ammo.

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
storage units are an excellent source for firearms. and those will be an after thought for most. id hit them first if i was a thief .
i watch storage wars and find theres lotsa preppers using storage for second stash or stash along the way.

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
..Unfortunately I can't afford a gun right now. Knives is the only other thing I got..
Knives are a helluva lot better than nothing, and the other guy might not have a gun either in which case remember--big knife beats little knife every time..;)
This is me in "mean mofo" mode-

"Okay Buzz show us what you got !"

You can hide a big blade up your sleeve, (but not a machete or it'd go all the way up to your shoulder and you wouldn't be able to bend your arm)
And don't go around pulling knives on anybody unless you HAVE to!
"The greatest warrior is the one who avoids fighting needless battles"- Sun Tzu 600 BC

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
i would never loot a gun store, think. thats the first place a gang is going to hit. prolly with 4 gards while they get what they want. bring your own body bag type of deal. its the first best way to get killed IMO.
score a nice little ruger 10/22 or marlin. id go ruger... composit. i have the wooden. but composit stands up to wetness and moisture and all the harsh stuff. the one pictured is my second 10/22. the first one i bought in the early 80s and now my younger son has it. we didnt scope it. i just ordered a nice little tasco from optics planet. the scope allows for easier boundry setting. let people know from a nice distance this is your spot. you can hunt and self defense with it.

very easy to use. no kick, and cheap to practice with and dead on. again for 85 bux delivered you can have fedral bulk 2100 rounds. and if you want to buy 550 at a time then its about 27-35 bux. do get fedral bulk. dont waist your money with cci. unless of course you want the case. which i often want the case so i can carry 100 rounds orderly and compact.

before you hoard food or anything else. get a 22. with your 22 you can get food and water. see how that works. if you can help it, dont be the thief/looter. be the good guy that stays good.

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
and right now im trying to find a kel tec p11 or taurus 24/7 9mm both guns you can find under 300 and allot of people say they are really nice firearms.
if i got a choice- a used m&p 9 for 350 befor i went new taurus. taurus is a mixed bag. i dont know anything about kel tech. the m&P is going to out live us all. im pretty sure. i enjoy the 40 cal over the nine. i dont know why that is. but i have both.

when getting fire arm -getting the lowest common denominator is scary. this is a tool that will decide your fate one day. do you live or die? now if you are asking that question.. add a bride and kids to it.. does my wife and kids live or die? look at the used m&p for that money. i will say theres no safety on the m&p... is the only hold off id have if i was a no0b.

look, im not advocating debt...cabelas hands out credit left and right... and will ship the gun to ffl and pay shipping 20 bux and dros35-55 here in ca depends on the store. and thier gun selection and prices are super and warrants buying over a store purchase. but that is an option to have so you can have the product, peace of mind and make modest payments. ( i have not bought a gun on line)

·
Registered
192 Posts
Where to find guns post shtf. Trunks of police cars, PD armories and evidence storage, behind the seats in pickup trucks with NRA, Rocky Mt Elk foundation or similar stickers. Under the bed or in the closet of a neighboring house. Store room of Pawn shops. (there's a lot more in the back than on the rack) Dont mess with the military facilities they use vaults. Security firms offices.

·
Registered
24,226 Posts
Looking for weapons after the S hits the F is a really bad time to be looking for one.

Are you at the message board because you believe there is a good chance that things are going to go south, or just for purposes of entertainment?

If you believe we are approaching a time of distress, you'd better start thinking like it. If you smoke, drink beer, drink soft drinks or do anything other non-essential thing with your hard earned money while pondering this question, you might consider prioritizing differently.

A used Marlin model 60 can be found for under 100 bucks. Ammunition for a .22 is very cheap and is one of the easiest rounds to be found, and you can use it to gather food or for defense. No, it isn't the best round for defense, but it's better than a butter knife.

I do not in any way go along with the notion of becoming a bad guy. Yes, when a nation of law crumbles, people resort to the laws of the jungle. I don't plan on becoming one of those people. I'm not an animal, and do not plan on acting like one. Unlike an animal, I can plan and prepare, and when things go bad, I can use reasoning to avoid trouble as much as possible. If killing is necessary, self defense is the only way. The dead will have no problem sleeping, but I'll have to try to sleep sometime.

Just a few thoughts.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts