Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife and I are finally (I have been wanting to try this for months) taking the plunge on a weekend shtf challenge. What's that you may ask? It all starts Friday afternoon, and goes until Monday morning. We are turning off our main circuit breaker, our gas main, and our water valve. We are using only our food from storage, and our camping stove to cook. We also have water stored, so we are going to ration that to see how much we consume in a 3 day period. We are entirely playing it out as if it really is shtf. No outside contact. Only light is candle light, flashlights if we have to be mobile. Only foreign sound will be my hand crank emergency radio, but it will not be on music, only weather broadcast for updates- this is purely just to mimic shtf, so we will have it on every hour or two.

This will benefit us in several ways. I often find myself in the false presumption that I am fairly well prepared. I try to plan ahead as best as possible, but you never really know what you need and don't need unless you try it. Things that you take for granted may become quite labor intensive. I realize that you can only do so much in 3 days, but it gives you a general idea of what to expect, in your situation/location. We will be taking notes all weekend, keeping track of pretty much anything that happens- emotions thoughts, needs.

-G

·
Registered
8,033 Posts
We do that a couple times a year, when the power goes out from a storm. It gets old after about 20 times, but you get better prepared. You will foret things your first few times :grin:

·
Registered
4 Posts
My wife and I are finally (I have been wanting to try this for months) taking the plunge on a weekend shtf challenge. What's that you may ask? It all starts Friday afternoon, and goes until Monday morning. We are turning off our main circuit breaker, our gas main, and our water valve. We are using only our food from storage, and our camping stove to cook. We also have water stored, so we are going to ration that to see how much we consume in a 3 day period. We are entirely playing it out as if it really is shtf. No outside contact. Only light is candle light, flashlights if we have to be mobile. Only foreign sound will be my hand crank emergency radio, but it will not be on music, only weather broadcast for updates- this is purely just to mimic shtf, so we will have it on every hour or two.

This will benefit us in several ways. I often find myself in the false presumption that I am fairly well prepared. I try to plan ahead as best as possible, but you never really know what you need and don't need unless you try it. Things that you take for granted may become quite labor intensive. I realize that you can only do so much in 3 days, but it gives you a general idea of what to expect, in your situation/location. We will be taking notes all weekend, keeping track of pretty much anything that happens- emotions thoughts, needs.

-G
Let us know how it goes!:)

·
Registered
369 Posts
That sounds like a great idea. Our power goes out in the winter too. The advantage to a winter power outage is that we can put our freezer items outside and it stays frozen. And we could melt snow for water if needed. My new generator should be in this weekend. That sounds like a good way to test it out.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.