Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 154 Posts

·
Registered
839 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
No Bullshit or blowhard hot-air here. Don't reply if you're super OPSEC or a "Couch potato prepper" who just spends money but doesn't have real skills.

Super contagious pandemic type virus so leaving your property means probably bringing it home to your family. No last minute shopping. Very little outside threat so high security not very important (tons of guns and ammo won't help). Just you and your preps with no ability to resupply. While you may plan on others joining with the pandemic it's not safe to bring others in. Only who and what are currently are on your property. Not down the road...on your property today.

How will you adapt without the extra help you planned on? How long can the people currently on your property get by before dying? If you have direct access use public lands to (no land or roads between) add 4-6 weeks to your lifespan.

It starts today, late September. How long will your people on the property last with no outside support with your current gardening tools and supplies? Got meds? NO bullshit or dreaming fantasy.

Just adding a bit of reality to this "Prepper Website".

·
Registered
11,805 Posts
I am as prepared as I can be with what I know and have. No dreams, no bull shit, no fantasy.

·
Registered
8,587 Posts
Anyone who confidently states, "I'd be good for x months with no problems" is not living in the real world. Just like, "No battle plan survives first contact with the enemy", no preparations survive the first day of a real disaster. Yes, you can plan for x months of self-sufficiency, but when the excrement truly makes contact with the rotary air movement device, things change at a rapid pace. Maybe your MAG falls to pieces. Maybe your house is pushed off it's foundation. Maybe marauders actually do bust down your door and take all your stuff at gunpoint. Maybe.....

·
Registered
27 Posts
Prepared? I didn't even have to touch my toilet paper stash last spring :) I have enough supplies and ammo to last a good while. I live in a quiet rural/suburban area with like minded neighbors (only two libbies in a 50 house neighborhood). But like Back Pack said, that could change rapidly.

·
Administrator
14,864 Posts
i'm a loner.
Just me, the wife and the animals. No outsiders welcomed.
We are well prepared to last months, years, without resupply.

I have had training, and experience, to do very violent deeds in self defense. I do not want to, but I will not hesitate either.

No bullshit, just truth.

·
Administrator
14,864 Posts
My wife saw the writing on the wall several months ago.
We have always been well prepared and provisioned, but that has increased. With intensity.

When the freezer went out and we lost a years worth of meat, about $1,000 worth, that really hurt.
But, we are slowly filing up the brand new freezer, that is twice the size of the old one. The old one has been repurposed as dry storage for canned goods.

·
Registered
3,517 Posts
I am ill prepared in materials...a fact I know and plan for because I have no plans for staying where I am or in sustaining where I will go.

I will be mobile for weeks after a SHTF situation I forecast. (plus 90 days). I am moving....I have water, food, a route..or routes...and a willingness to kill anything that stops me from getting there.
I am not gonna have thousands of rounds in every caliber....I choose to have a few rounds that I send your way to make your shit my shit if we agree to disagree that I can pass.

I will pillage, plunder, murder, or dismember..what I need to get what I need...and you have the freedom to do the same.....good luck.

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
I think, hope I'm prepared but who knows? I've never experienced being self sufficient, but I have experience growing many things. I have hundreds of pounds of garden seed in storage and the manual tools needed. I keep extra fuel for the tractor but depending on the scenario it may not work. I keep some solar panels, solar generators & flex well pump in Faraday enclosures, so water should not be an issue. At worse case, I have the tools needed to pull the well pump & manually access the water. My long term stores are measured by the thousands of pounds, but I prep to help feed neighbors on our country lane. I have around 150 fruit trees plus lots of berries, muscadines & pecan trees. My pond is stocked with several thousand pounds of grain fed catfish and the woods are full of game.

A big part of survival during a crisis is being prepared, but being lucky will play a big part. Some will succeed... some will fail.

·
Registered
904 Posts
My household consists of me, my wife and four kids. We just finished a 30 day challenge just to see how prepared we were. No shopping, period, for 30 days. We didn’t even break a sweat. It helps that we have been at this for years now and like our ammo, the food stores are piled high and deep. I would say we could go for a year or more without too much difficulty.

·
Registered
21,099 Posts
We've been preparing for years and realize that anything can happen at any time to throw a monkey wrench in our plans.

But overall I'd give ourselves a realistic C+ on our chances to survive 1 year. 6 months should be pretty doable but if we cannot resupply insulin for Mrs S's Type 1 Diabetes...

Land & Shelter A-
Specifically chosen and designed for self sufficiency, security and location. Gardens in place, chickens doing well, plenty of firewood and means to get it, off beaten path, choke points for security. Passive solar house design to take advantage of seasons and stay cooler in warm months. We feel very good about our land and shelter/home situation

Food A+

We have worked hard for over 20 years to keep a well stored pantry of short, medium and long term food stores as well as replenishable food potential and have what we need for ourselves and at least 4 others (sons and daughter inlaws) to be well fed/nourished. Food is one of our best preps and the means to prepare food is well thought out and prepared.

Water C

One is none, 2 is 1 and 3 is better! We have 2 excellent sources and a 3rd in our back-up well but the back-up needs a pump and a cistern/resevoir. Working on that now but if SHTF we might be in a bad way with water.

Security (hard to gauge)

IF...and IFs can suck, but IF Son1 and Son2 make it, we should be good on basic security. IF not, its just me and Mrs S we hope that our location will help in security. Sure, we have the necessary "tools" (B+) but manpower is an issue. (D-) unless IF's happen!

Medicines C

If Mrs S's insulin goes out 2 becomes 1. The very nature of insulin and our regulatory healthcare system makes it hard to keep. D- But other than the means to replenish insulin, our first aid and medicinal preps are a solid B for at least 4-6 people.

Other things to make life easier A

We've done a great job preparing for creature comforts; TP, Toothpaste, Toothbrushes, Tools and Too many small items that make life easier. A boneyard of materials, and basically STUFF!

Energy D

Fuel will become an issue and our solar is limited to lights and a few small panels to replenish small items. When the LP gas, Gasoline and Diesel runs out, living will become hard.

·
Registered
6,122 Posts
Nothing here so I'll have to run out in the woods on someone else's property. Try to steal their resources and live off the land or muscle my way into some unsuspecting group. Being I haven't even tried to help myself before the SHTF. I'll be a great asset to everyone now. Why worry and waste money on something that "MIGHT" happen. :tango_face_wink:

·
Registered
21,643 Posts
We are on the property have been for generations. Our people lived here before they had electricity here. They all made it. As for ability to defend our self . Everyone here has been trained well. We did not do our time in admin. While we do not farm for a living anymore we still are involved. We will do just fine. If anyone decides to try and take anything they will not have an easy time of it.

·
Registered
303 Posts
I believe we are in good shape but I personally keep adding more. More food, more ammunition (has become a challenge the last few months), and other supplies. Fortunately several years ago we made the investment of buying a freeze dryer, which has helped our food supply tremendously. We also have two chest type freezers and can foods.

·
Registered
7,940 Posts
Prepared? I didn't even have to touch my toilet paper stash last spring :) I have enough supplies and ammo to last a good while. I live in a quiet rural/suburban area with like minded neighbors (only two libbies in a 50 house neighborhood). But like Back Pack said, that could change rapidly.
I used 6 rolls out of my TP stash.

1 - 20 of 154 Posts