Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When we recently secured a new property there was an "attachment" if you would. A third parcel of land that is disconnected from the main parcel. The water supply there is about 25-30 feet and easy to access. There are some arable patches of land and enough roll in the hillside to create a secluded spot. Its remote - very remote but still easy enough to reach with a 2WD vehicle. I am considering putting a cabin on it - basically a shed; a septic system, and a personal well or rain water collection system. If I pull a permit for a house its too much, but I can build a shed even if the occupant turns it into a cabin.

It would be about 8 acres (7.85) and out of site / remote. Nice bug out spot. This is NW Nevada desert territory - closest big city is Reno or Boise and both are 200 + miles.

I'm trying to figure out if it'd be worth the effort to build and sell? What would it be worth? Is it worth the effort?

·
Registered
197 Posts
Check to see if you will have a deeded right of way from your property to the other property. It would suck if you bought it and then down the road the owner of the property in the middle denied you access.

Due diligence, my friend, due diligence.

Reactions: Blademaker

·
Mod Squad
2,260 Posts
That depends. How close is the nearest electricity? A septic system could cost what, $6,000 - $10,00 to install? Does a property that small qualify for a well permit? How much would that cost? Would the county buy the idea of a shed with well and septic? Is it legal to subdivide?

If you had a well, septic, and electricity, I would be interested. It would have to also have some sort of kitchen, a bathroom, and nave maybe 1,000 sqr ft or so. I've been seeing properties like this, usually with some sort of mobile home, for $40k - $50K or so.

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
I have no idea what land is worth in that area, but with water and septic it should very marketable within "the community" if you could find a like minded person.

Too bad it isn't closer, hell, I'd take a look,

·
Registered
3,373 Posts
I'm not all that far from NW Nevada, The I.O.N. region is pretty friggin remote! I'm reasonably familiar with the area, and if one is looking to get away from it all that's the place to do it. It's mostly BLM desert lands grazing allotments and mining claims. There are building sites springing up that range from fractions of an acre to several acres and range from very affordable to expensive, depending on the usage and developments. Still the middle of nowhere a deserted desert...there is burning man though...not saying that you'd attend such an event...lol

·
Registered
30 Posts
So I bought some land a few years back on the Buffalo River in Arkansas. Pretty remote area not a lot of folks close by...closest town is about 20 minutes with a population of around 900, biggest city close by is an hour or so away and only has a population of about 13k. The things that made the spot desirable to me: 2 1/2 miles off the paved road then another 600 yards off the the dirt road, home-site not visible from any road, sits on top the hilltop, I also own the ridges lines the around the property, pretty easy to defend if needed. There is 1000' well already on the property but there is also a natural spring. Plenty of room for a garden, lots of fish and game in the area as well. The few others that liver up there like to keep to themselves as well are are geared towards watching out after the neighborhood so to speak.

All in all it met all my requirements when I went looking for a retreat. If I had to live all grid with no additional help I could, but I also have room for a few friends and family to help ensure a safe place to live.

just my 2 cents on what to look for

·
Registered
4,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
A septic can be done on my own for about $1500 in materials. A personal well is the hard part and I'd probably opt for rain collection and tank of about $2,000. A propane generator, few solar panels, and decent size shed it'd cost me $10k easy and a few weekends for sure.

There is access to the property from road way via BLM land. No subdividing of a parcel of 8 acres would be easily gotten.

Back to the well. A permit is the expensive part. A well of the nature needed is about $1500 DIY. I've already "cough" seen it done a few places.

That depends. How close is the nearest electricity? A septic system could cost what, $6,000 - $10,00 to install? Does a property that small qualify for a well permit? How much would that cost? Would the county buy the idea of a shed with well and septic? Is it legal to subdivide?

If you had a well, septic, and electricity, I would be interested. It would have to also have some sort of kitchen, a bathroom, and nave maybe 1,000 sqr ft or so. I've been seeing properties like this, usually with some sort of mobile home, for $40k - $50K or so.

·
Registered
6,086 Posts
I don't know what it might be worth now (prices fluctuate all over the place) but it will be worth all the gold that Fort Knox could hold after the SHTF and somebody needed it.
Probably worth at least four pounds of gold in that case. (4 pounds x 12 ounces per pound x $1500 per ounce = $72,000)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Sounds like you have the makings of a good spot there... Like the rain-collection angle! We do it and enjoy the soft water... after going from hard water to this system... I would have switched long ago. Plus, it's nice to not have water bills!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts