Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner
41 - 60 of 90 Posts
I currently have 250 rounds of rifled slugs 250 rounds of sabot slugs for my rifled barrel 500 rounds of 00 buck 250 rounds of #4buck and 500 rounds of 7 1/2 bifd shot I think I still need more butI thought that would be agood place to start. I use a mossy 590 spec duty mil-spec andpickeup a second barrel for hunting

Discussion starter · #42 ·
Holy crap, I'm shocked. You mean no one has 10,000 shells stocked away. While some guys have thousands I'm surprised how many don't have that much.:-o

I appreciate the input folks. I think I could probably start by picking a new tool box and filling it to the brim with shells. It will be my dedicated shotgun box. Then go from there. I've never been a big bird hunter with a shotgun so it's quite interesting to hear what you guys like same as the discussion on slug to 00 and what people prefer for home defense.

:cool:

Holy crap, I'm shocked. You mean no one has 10,000 shells stocked away. While some guys have thousands I'm surprised how many don't have that much.
Trust me, if I had the money I would. When you're trying to stockpile 7 calibers, which I'm sure is a low number compared to most here, it gets a little cost prohibitive to do that and eat at the same time. Some weeks I eat, other weeks I buy ammo.

Mostly its hunting ammo maybe 250, #6 200,#4 some bb for geese, and around 100 slugs and 100 00 buck. Would rather use a #6 in the house so I don't destroy, my house when I fire it. And I would plan on using it more for hunting small game a birds, then anything else.

Reactions: Fuzzee
I have probably 500 rounds all told. half of it is low brass bird shot. The rest is defense stuff, 00 buck and slug. I probably should build that stash up. I've got enough rifle ammo to hold the Alamo. I keep the home defense shotguns topped with 00.

Trust me, if I had the money I would. When you're trying to stockpile 7 calibers, which I'm sure is a low number compared to most here, it gets a little cost prohibitive to do that and eat at the same time. Some weeks I eat, other weeks I buy ammo.
I know what you mean, 9 here. I'll be adding a 10th caliber in the spring. You just never know, maybe an 11th and then a 12th...

Not to high jack the site but has anyone given any consideration on how you will tactically carry extra shotgun rounds?
That is why God gave us kids! For me, the shotgun is only a "tactical" gun in the home, and I wouldn't attempt to use it in place of a rifle for tactical purposes.

My shotgun is for the home too. I keep 6 in it and 6 in the side saddle. If I can't get the job done with 12 rounds, I'll use the pillowcase to make a white surrender flag.

The ammo is just too heavy and bulky to be included in an on foot bugout. I would take it and my limited ammo if I was gonna go in the car though.

Discussion starter · #52 · (Edited)
Not to high jack the site but has anyone given any consideration on how you will tactically carry extra shotgun rounds?
Same as I did before for me. In a Maxpedition Fatboy. Same as the Active Shooters bags I use for my rifles, it throws on fast at the drop of the hat. You grab the shotgun and go in seconds. The rounds are loose inside the main pouch. It holds about 50, besides a spare pistol mag and whatever you might want to put in like a QClot sponge and small med pack. If you can't handle it with 50 and change shells of 00 Buck and slug, it can't be handled and you better run.

There different ways to go about it though like bandoleers, belt pouches and slings. Maxpedition also has a nice 12 shells pouch that attaches to any Molle or PALS and you can use the same to attach it to your pants belt.

12-RND SHOTGUN AMMO POUCH

Of course any of their small pouches should work the same since they are the same attachment and be used on someones belt or rig.

Tactical Nylon Assault Gear Pouches, Modular Pockets, Admin, Medic, Magazine Dump Pouch

I always liked Blackhawks Bandoleer but you end up looking like Pancho Villa.

BLACKHAWK! 55rnd Shotgun Bandoleer - BLACKHAWK!

Chris Costa was doing something I saw on the Yut tube. He's using 3M velcro tape stuck on the side of the receiver and taking Velcro shell holders and transferring them one by one to the side of the shotgun as he runs out. Carrying them in a pouch, but you could carry them however you can obviously.

http://www.maxpedition.com/store/pc/Hook-Loop-Horizontal-6rnd-Shotgun-Panel-60p1749.htm

Discussion starter · #53 ·
My shotgun is for the home too. I keep 6 in it and 6 in the side saddle. If I can't get the job done with 12 rounds, I'll use the pillowcase to make a white surrender flag.

The ammo is just too heavy and bulky to be included in an on foot bugout. I would take it and my limited ammo if I was gonna go in the car though.
Yeah me too. Not a good bugout on foot gun to me with how heavy and bulky the shells are. You just couldn't carry as many as a good 7.62x51mm battlerifle, AK or AR.

The shotgun is meant for home defense, and my home defense plan only involves moving around the house if it's absolutely necessary or when I'm clearing it after the fact. It also lives right next to my sidearm, so I'll have that on if I go mobile, giving me another 13 rounds on top of the shotguns six (plus the sidesaddle, another five). If that isn't enough rounds, my life is about to suck biggeth. I have boxes of ammo in the bedroom and halfway through the house that I could probably make it to if I really needed. There's also two extra (loaded) mags for my pistol in my case which also lives by the nightstand.

Plus I'm married. I'll have a practiced AR operator covering my butt.

That is why God gave us kids! For me, the shotgun is only a "tactical" gun in the home, and I wouldn't attempt to use it in place of a rifle for tactical purposes.
Only if I'm working with other people then a shotgun along with riflemen works well. Although at work were I do work alone I will carry a shotgun when I'm working at night or in heavy brush. At night even with NVG's you still can only really see around 20 feet. I tend to carry extra shotgun rounds on the front of my bullet resistant vest with some Velcro mounted elastic loops.

You guys don't seem to be stocking much. I figured to hear, 1000 shells of this and 10,000 shells of that.
250 rnds 00, 250 rnds 000, 250 rnds slugs, 250 #6. Figure that gives me a well rounded supply. 1000 rounds .270, 1000 rounds .380, 1000 rounds .22 CCI hollow point.

Discussion starter · #57 ·
Only if I'm working with other people then a shotgun along with riflemen works well. Although at work were I do work alone I will carry a shotgun when I'm working at night or in heavy brush. At night even with NVG's you still can only really see around 20 feet. I tend to carry extra shotgun rounds on the front of my bullet resistant vest with some Velcro mounted elastic loops.
Ah so your using something like Costa does now. It seems a very workable solutions depending on your gear setup you plan on using. When I did a quick search for shotgun pouches I actually turned up quite a few options for belt mounted pouches to hold shells in. I'm going to pick up one somewhere here to see how I like it and it's always good to have more gear choices.

Gesture Wood Office equipment Rectangle Font

I'm a new member to the forum but have been an avid visitor for some time now. Mrs. Slippy and I have been in the business of being prepared for a number of years and it seems to suit our lifestyle.
Anyway, was curious if anyone has fired the Aguila 12g Mini-shells? Found them a while back on Midway and as the link below states, they cycle real well in a Winchester 1300. Since I had a 1300, decided to test the mini-shells and they worked fine. Kinda nice to have 12 rounds in the ole 12g. However my son has an 870 and the mini-shells did NOT cycle in his gun nor did they cycle well in a Mossberg 500. If you have the Winchester 1300 or a Winchester 12g Defender give them a try. I probably have fired over 200 rounds of the mini-shells without any problem. Just an idea for you.
Aguila Minishell Ammo 12 Ga 1-3/4 #4 #1 Buckshot 11 Pellets Box of 20
I have used the minishells but only in a single shot H&R shotgun. Welcome by the way.

Sporting clay shooters often use a belt mounted pouch to hold their extra rounds. This would be faster access than a bandolier and might be the best way to carry excess ammo. There are lots of different styles, here's an example of one style that clips on your belt and holds a full box of 12 ga. ...

Rectangle Luggage and bags Musical instrument accessory Camera accessory Bag

Browning Hidalgo One Box Carrier

41 - 60 of 90 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.