Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 90 Posts

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I admit I basically had decided to get rid of prepping for a shotgun after selling my last one a modified 11-87 with a smoothbore and rifle sights. It was for HD and four legged game hunting with )) Buck and slug. I decided to slim back down to just .308/7.62x51mm, .223/5.56x45mm and .22lr. But after some consideration I decided to pick up a new 870 and setting it up with 2 barrel, a 26 inch ribbed with changeable chokes for hunting four legged and winged game and a 18 1/2 inch smoothbore rifle sighted barrel for HD and four legged's again. So I'm starting over in shells too. I bought a 100 shells of 00 Buck to break it in and use for HD, but I was wondering where everyone else is on their's and what they feel they need in shotgun shells for long term prep. I was thinking maybe 500 00 Buck eventually, 200 slugs, and 500 bird shot. What's everyone stocking?

:suppliesonforklift:

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
#4 gives me a nice pattern when I'm thinking about it in terms of stopping power. 00 is great at close range, but doesn't seem to hold together as well as 4 does when it starts getting out past indoor distances... and there's a lot of people out there who seem to think killing first and asking questions later will be the new norm after a major ship hits the fan event, so my concern is defending against those people (who think that way).

·
Super Moderator
9,191 Posts
About 90% of my supply is for hunting birds, 5% or so is deer slugs and the rest is #2

·
Registered
4,373 Posts
I keep a case (250 rounds) of clay style bird shot. For smallest birds this will be the best and they kill rattle snakes fine too. Cheap.
Last summer I ordered a case of 175 rounds of 04 buck - I prefer it to 00 - don't know why just do. That's the defensive stuff, and
I keep about 25 slugs on hand - if I ever need them I'm in trouble. That means they got inside the Lapua.

·
Registered
2,563 Posts
I have #6 shot for most bird, rabbit shooting and a few boxes each of 2, 4, 5 and over 100 slugs. Any more I buy whats on sale cheap for the shotgun, but nothing smaller than 6 shot. I only have 20ga. so my options are a little limited.

·
Administrator
15,422 Posts
My shotguns are mainly farm tools. I keep a hundred or two 12 ga, mixed between #6 birdshot & #4 birdshot (excellent for small animals afer my chickens), #4 buckshot (coyotes) and OO buckshot (for anything bigger than a coyote).
My 16 ga is just a piddlin' gun - less than a hundred birdshot and buck.
20 ga is several hundred 2-3/4" and 3" splt between #6 birdshot, #5 turkey loads, #3 buck and #2 buck
My .410's get fed 2-1/2" and 3" #6 birdshot, #4 birdshot, and OOO buckshot
I also keep a few 5 round boxes of slugs for each gauge/bore, but honestly before I'd use a slug I'd grab my NEF Handi Rifle 45-70 Government. More accurate and powerful enough for anything in the lower 48.
I like shotguns, they are cheap when bought used, cheap to feed. I've got a dozen or so single shot, double barrel, pumps and even 3 old bolt actions.

Reactions: nechaev and Fuzzee

·
Registered
2,563 Posts
You guys don't seem to be stocking much. I figured to hear, 1000 shells of this and 10,000 shells of that.
Not for the shotgun, it will be my upclose and personal gun and I hope it doesn't need to be used to much for that. I am getting a few more boxes of 4 and 6 shot for hunting game though. I've got more handgun ammo for the upclose stuff, much easier to handle in the house / close in shooting and I feel confident shooting with my handgun as that is all I use them for, self defense. A shotgun is good for crowd control, but my hand gun will be there also.

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Not for the shotgun, it will be my upclose and personal gun and I hope it doesn't need to be used to much for that. I am getting a few more boxes of 4 and 6 shot for hunting game though. I've got more handgun ammo for the upclose stuff, much easier to handle in the house / close in shooting and I feel confident shooting with my handgun as that is all I use them for, self defense. A shotgun is good for crowd control, but my hand gun will be there also.
I hear ya. I've relied on my sidearms for years in HD role and still do. I carry one everyday for work and am confident with it in my hands to put down a threat, but it has it's limits and it's far from the best for everything gun. The shotgun puts them down a lot harder in one shot which is it's value to me for HD. It also is much better at taking down a troublesome, aggressive dog which is one problem I think will be quite a problem when shtf. Lots of people abandoned their dogs in Katrina and it won't be any different when shtf here or anywhere else. I've seen a dog tear someone up fast and been bitten myself. Another reason I bought a new one having some recently harassing the chickens on the property. There will be lots of them roaming around, getting into things, hungry, packing and a threat of attacking.

I can put down just about any animal whether four legged or two with my rifle and they are there for that reason, but in an up close situation here at the house, in close proximity, when I hear trouble and feel it's not large numbers, I'll have the shotgun ready to go (while also carrying a sidearm) for that purpose. Than I bought it to take flying birds I had written off in part in taking with my rifles. I can hit any bird who stays put long enough for me to get a shot in on a branch or the ground with my rifles. But lots don't want to stay put and those flying by, when I'm hungry, are something I decided it best not to write off. Don't think I won't eat the dogs either. :mrgreen:

·
Registered
634 Posts
I have no intentions of hunting with the shotgun, its more a personal defense gun for me. Mossberg 500 with the 20 inch barrel so really not that great for hunting. it would work in a pinch but defiantly not what I purchases it for. Now with that said I have about 400 rounds of 00 but I would like to double that to feel better about that.

·
Banned
2,112 Posts
I actually inventoried my ammo a couple of weeks ago while waiting to go back to work. I was surprised when I realized I didn't have quite as much 12 gauge ammo as I thought. I only have 300 rounds. I have like 125 rounds of "bird shot", 75 rounds of slugs and 100 rounds of '00' and '000' Buck. The problem with 12 gauge ammo is it's heavy and takes up lots of room. Which is why I thought I had more than I actually did. But pound for pound, it does lots of damage. I think your numbers are pretty reasonable.

Reactions: Fuzzee

·
Registered
3,373 Posts
I don't know that I keep a supply of different kinds shotgun ammo on hand as a prep, I do have some;
Sabot slug
Rifled slug
#4 buck
00 Buck
#4, #6 and 7 1/2 shot
It is more of a cover the bases thing than it is a prep thing.
So a little bit of everything and not a lot of any one thing:)

·
Registered
2,417 Posts
I have a lot of shotgun shells in 00, slug, birdshot and #4 (thousands) and I usually pick up a bulk pack every time I'm in wallyworld. I see it as a great home defense weapon and hunting weapon. I have several shotguns and even a pink 870 for my wife. The biggest drawback with a shotgun is keeping it loaded. If you’re not shooting you better be loading. Shotguns are my primary prep weapons because I plan on bugging in as long as possible and will be defensive more than offensive. In close range a shotgun is king.

·
Registered
4,373 Posts
You can imagine how much room 10,000 shotgun shells would take!

As noted the shotgun is a close encounter weapon. Even the slugs are 100-150 yards tops. The buck / bird shot clearly much less.
I can hunt geese in my territory (a few weeks of the year when they pass thru) with 22LR, but we have some birds that require
bird shot or I could go without the shotgun - well except that I have a few generations worth of them that I can't let go.

You guys don't seem to be stocking much. I figured to hear, 1000 shells of this and 10,000 shells of that.

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Mostly 71/2 target loads, but I do keep a couple hundred slugs and some #4's and #6's

Reactions: Fuzzee

·
Registered
4,692 Posts
I think Im at 500 #8's and only a few boxes of mixed, being turkey and 00, but now that Im "all good" on the other ammunition, I need to find some more 12's. I hope to try duckhunting this weekend, so will need more.

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
Well here, let me not disappoint ya.

My stash is pretty basic and not a lot of variety. I have at least 960 rounds of 1 1/4 ounce slugs, 1200 rounds of 00-Buck and a mix of about 1000 rounds of #6 and 7 1/2 shot, and a couple of hundred in sabot slug loads. 12 guage aint my primary intended weapon but I don't intend to buy much in the way of commercially loaded ammo anymore. I have a tri-wall on a pallet, full of empty once fired hulls for reloading if I need to load more. I dare to say there are at least 5000 empty high brass once fired military spec 00-buck hulls in there.

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
Yeah the 00-buck can spread out pretty good after about 25 yards. Try out some of the reduced recoil loads, not because your a girly boy but because they group a lot tighter from what I have seen due to less pellet deformation on ignition in the chamber. The reduced recoil slugs also seem to penetrate noticeable deeper as well since they don't flatten out as dramatically on impact with the target allowing them to keep there shape and push deeper into the target.

I was so impressed by the reduced recoil loads that I am loading a bunch of ammo that's comparable to the commercial loaded stuff.

·
Registered
2,608 Posts
I have considered purchasing some ammunition since the Doe run plant notification, however I would not want to over react to a news article that was clearly being exaggerated by the right wing conservative nut jobs. I will maintain my left wing, commsocial trust in the government to keep me safe and look out for my best interest.

Aside from the EPA concerns regarding the pollution from the lead extrusion, the production of the plastic cartridges from fossil fuels protracts the global climate change pandemic which will cause the eskimo's to not hunt polar bears who are trying to kill harp seals on the ice caps that have melted.

I would never bring ammunition into my household because of the injustices Al Gore has detailed in Michael Moores current diatribe.

1 - 20 of 90 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.