Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just outta curiosity, how many of you reload? What do you load and why? Myself, I've been reloading for 2 years (unless you count when I was a kid living with Ma & Pa!) I load 223, 30-30, 30-06, for rifles. 40S&W, 45acp, 38/357 mag for handguns, also have dies for 45Colt, just need to order bullets. And soon to add 9mm because I have a 5gal bucket full of brass for it! My reason(s) are: it's an enjoyable hobbie, after the initial investment it is very cost effective, it enables me to shoot more than I would if I had to pay top dollar for factory ammo, and most of all, this whole ammo crisis/shortage has had minimal effect on me personally!!! So, what's your story?

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
I reload .45 acp, .44 spc. & mag, 9mm, .40S&W, .223, .308, 7x57, .327 fed .32 H&R, 32S&W long, and .38/.357. I also cast my own bullets for .38/.357, .45acp, .44. I have not needed to cut back on my shooting since the ammo shortage started, I also don't worry much when they start talking about declaring lead a hazardous material and banning its use in bullets. I have enough lead, powder and primers to keep me shooting for a while.

Reactions: 71Chevrolet

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I reload .45 acp, .44 spc. & mag, 9mm, .40S&W, .223, .308, 7x57, .327 fed .32 H&R, 32S&W long, and .38/.357. I also cast my own bullets for .38/.357, .45acp, .44. I have not needed to cut back on my shooting since the ammo shortage started, I also don't worry much when they start talking about declaring lead a hazardous material and banning its use in bullets. I have enough lead, powder and primers to keep me shooting for a while.
Casting will be my next step in the process. I've been doing some research but am still not quite sure where to start, any suggestions?

·
Registered
4,209 Posts
Count me in the crew, . . . do several rifle sizes, . . . several pistol sizes, . . . plus 12 ga shotgun.

Got me an new Hornady progressive this summer, . . . now in process of building a new place for all my leather working and reloading, . . . will also please the other half.

May God bless,
Dwight

·
Banned
148 Posts
I’ve been reloading for 40 years. I’m shooting ammo today that I loaded back then. 41 mag, 9mm, 357, 38, .223, .308, 7.62x39. I also have dies for other calibers for guns that I don’t own. I normally reload in the winter when it’s too cold to shoot at the range. I use RCBS and Dillon presses. I find the Dillon works best for 9mm and the RCBS for 223. The 223 requires more steps then the Dillon has stages.

·
Registered
201 Posts
I am part of the reloading for enjoyment camp. I load 9mm,.45acp,.40,.357/38,.308,30-30,.44mag,22/250,5.56/.223,and am looking for dies and non-Berdan primmed brass for 7.62/39. The ammo crazy times havent slowed me down. I had plenty of primmers, powder and bullets. I use a RCBS JR single stage for rifle and a Lee turret for pistol.

I am buying a little now and then to replace what I have used.

I have been looking at getting into shotgun also. My wife gave me a DoAll automatic clay target thrower. It is a blast and can throw 25 targets before refilling. It is getting expensive to shoot 4 boxes of 12 gauge a week instead of 1 or 2 per month. It seemed that shotgun primmers and powder never were short. The wife thinks its just a reason I use to buy more equipment. She is right!!

·
Premium Member
2,943 Posts
Yeah, I reload. Primarily 9mm and .45 but moving to .308. I shoot 7.62x39 but bought enough cheap ammo back in the day that it's not ecomically worth while to reload that caliber. Reloading significantly reduces my cost per round so I shoot more. Shoot more = More fun.

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Depends how much you want to spend. I use the LEE #20 bottom pour pot and LEE aluminum molds. the pot drips and you may have to work with the molds a bit to get them to work, but you will be casting for less than $100. I use a hard lube and a sizer, but with liquid lube and a LEE sizing die you are in business a lot cheaper.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
I am part of the reloading for enjoyment camp. I load 9mm,.45acp,.40,.357/38,.308,30-30,.44mag,22/250,5.56/.223,and am looking for dies and non-Berdan primmed brass for 7.62/39. The ammo crazy times havent slowed me down. I had plenty of primmers, powder and bullets. I use a RCBS JR single stage for rifle and a Lee turret for pistol.

I am buying a little now and then to replace what I have used.

I have been looking at getting into shotgun also. My wife gave me a DoAll automatic clay target thrower. It is a blast and can throw 25 targets before refilling. It is getting expensive to shoot 4 boxes of 12 gauge a week instead of 1 or 2 per month. It seemed that shotgun primmers and powder never were short. The wife thinks its just a reason I use to buy more equipment. She is right!!
Winchester makes good 7.62x39 brass I've used quite a bit. And Lee has the dies.

I don't think ANYBODY is going to try to load this caliber in an attempt to be cheaper than the Wolf ammo available everywhere. I load it for the simple truth in "Junk in = Junk out". To many people feed their guns the cheapest crap ammo they can get their hands on, then will be the first in line to cry, piss and moan about "this rifle jams all the time, waaaa, this gun and caliber are junk because their so inaccurate, waaaaaaa". They speak truth in SOME cases (AR's), but hand loading 7.62x39 has proven to me just how accurate SKS's, and AK's can really be when not feeding on garbage. Not to mention Speer makes an EXCELLENT soft point bullet for this caliber for hunting!

·
Registered
4,078 Posts
Got the equipment, just not set up yet. Starting out with 38Spl/357Mag. Got a shot-shell loader too to experiment with, just for the fun of it.

·
Registered
6,144 Posts
Had to start reloading as I couldn't afford the factory ammo for some guns, like the 500 Smith. Handgun 9mm, 38/357, 44mag, 45acp, 45colt, 454casull, 500S&W. Rifle 204 Ruger, 223, 270win, 300 savage, 308, 30-06, 444marlin, 300 win mag.

·
Registered
3,373 Posts
I reload and have for 40 years, I think it's been 40 years? I haven't blown myself up wrecked any guns and still have all my fingers. So knock on wood, I must be doing it right. I cast bullets and have done that for nearly as long as I have been reloading. It's simply a hobby that dovetails into prepping.

·
Registered
201 Posts
I very much agree with you. I want to reload some GOOD stuff to keep in the AK mags. I shoot Wolf and anything cheap when I crank up the Slide Fire stock on my AK. Useless as hell but a lot of fun,and add some Tannerite its a party.
Winchester makes good 7.62x39 brass I've used quite a bit. And Lee has the dies.

I don't think ANYBODY is going to try to load this caliber in an attempt to be cheaper than the Wolf ammo available everywhere. I load it for the simple truth in "Junk in = Junk out". To many people feed their guns the cheapest crap ammo they can get their hands on, then will be the first in line to cry, piss and moan about "this rifle jams all the time, waaaa, this gun and caliber are junk because their so inaccurate, waaaaaaa". They speak truth in SOME cases (AR's), but hand loading 7.62x39 has proven to me just how accurate SKS's, and AK's can really be when not feeding on garbage. Not to mention Speer makes an EXCELLENT soft point bullet for this caliber for hunting!

·
Registered
559 Posts
reloadable 7.62x39 brass is non-existant around here, and when it is forsale it costs more than a loaded round... I know you do get multiple reloads from a case, but the price is just so darn high...

But yeah, if you are going to shoot a lot, or shoot expensive rounds (especially large rifle rounds!) you have to become a reloader. Unless you have more money than you know what to do with...

·
Banned
148 Posts
reloadable 7.62x39 brass is non-existant around here, and when it is forsale it costs more than a loaded round... I know you do get multiple reloads from a case, but the price is just so darn high...

But yeah, if you are going to shoot a lot, or shoot expensive rounds (especially large rifle rounds!) you have to become a reloader. Unless you have more money than you know what to do with...
I've not tried this but I think you can take a 308 case and put it in a 7.62x39 resizing die without the decaping pin in and it will size the 308 to 7.62x39. You will have to trim the neck. I have done this accidentally with 30.06 to 308 and it seem to work. Maybe someone on the form has tried this?

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
I've not tried this but I think you can take a 308 case and put it in a 7.62x39 resizing die without the decaping pin in and it will size the 308 to 7.62x39. You will have to trim the neck. I have done this accidentally with 30.06 to 308 and it seem to work. Maybe someone on the form has tried this?
Different rim diameters and too much brass to fit in the die it ain't gonna work, just buy some Winchester or Remington 7.62x39 and reload it. I am reasonably certain Fiocchi and S&B brass is reloadable as well

·
Registered
4,078 Posts
7.62x39: just use the cheap surplus for fun and practice. Use the S&B and Winchester (Wal-Mart) brass to reload for better hunting rounds.

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
I've found that S&B brass needs a little touch of primer pocket reaming.
I have noticed they are a bit tight, my hand primer doesn't like them, but my L-n-L auto press rams them right in

1 - 20 of 32 Posts