Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 40 of 158 Posts

·
Banned
20,845 Posts
At Slippy Lodge, I have approximately 2-3 Acres cleared. On those 2-3 Acres we have our House, Barn, Chicken Coop & Run Area, Raised Beds, Septic System, Grey Water Dump Area and Gravel Driveway. Clearing the other 27 Acres is a major endeavor that requires heavy equipment.

The Veggies that we produce in our gardens are mostly supplemental calories/nutrients. Can we live most of a year and just survive off of our veggies? Maybe, but I sure as hell would lose a ton of weight (which will help me) but Mrs S has very little extra weight to spare. Other than our laying Hens, we raise no protein source.

So, we'll continue to put up and rotate store bought food and prepare the best we can.

·
Registered
2,323 Posts
Thanks for that. My point was that you can store winter squash without refrigeration or freezers. In my climate, mine do fine all winter in my garage. In colder climates one might need to move to a cool room inside the house but you don't want them to get warm. But just like the corn & beans, the squash can be dried before storage. Native Americans would construct rather large undergrown cache pits with grass lining, which would protect their food from freezing. I have a great book on native American gardening practices and food storage. It is called Buffalo Bird Woman's Garden.
Fantastic book!

·
Registered
21,643 Posts
Were at how hard do they want to work ? All things to consider

Reactions: Eyeball

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
This is complicated. I guess the question is how long do you anticipate your situation will last and remain with the same number? Is this a post-apocalypse situation where there is no more access to birth control and the population on your farm is going to increase? Even if you decide on a number, that number may naturally increase over time.
In a longterm post-apoc situation i'd hope the men in our group would have the good sense to keep their flies zipped up and the women keep their legs together because the last thing they'd want to do is bring babies into a SHTF world..;)

·
Registered
21,643 Posts
@Sitty901, I Nevrer worked harder than farm. Maybe the lumber mill?.
Growing food to put on your table in Post SHTF is going to be a major labor heavy duty. If the plot is not tended and protected yields go way down. Not as easy as some think . Everything you d is going to consume labor.

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
It's an important question i've been asking in survival forums for years but everybody seems to have a different opinion..:)

Suppose in a SHTF situation our survival group sets up in this deserted farmhouse below, what's the maximum number of people we should allow in the group to keep ourselves comfortably fed all year round? 10? 20? 30? More? Less?
What do PF members think?

Back in the 60's we fed six adults and assorted visitors on a little over 8 acres. Taters corn, onions beans squash turnips etc. Course we only planted one crop rotation per year. Knowing what I do now, we'd try and get in at least two and maybe a third using a couple of green houses. Meat was store bought. As for when a SHTF happens. Kind of depends on pilferage. (read outside theft).

Reactions: Eyeball

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
The pictures are out and out looting. Not pilferage. Pilferage is the bunny making inroads into your lettuce. Or the squirrel chomping on an ear of corn.

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
I believe in SHTF survival rule number one- "No rules in a knife fight"..:)
Anyway if we didn't take the stuff first, somebody else will-
Reading some of your comments so far, it seems your prepper strategy is to take from others. IMO, you are posting on the wrong forum. I think you would be a better fit with BLM or other groups that think looting & stealing during a crisis is your right or an opportunity not to be missed.

·
Super Moderator
3,015 Posts
Well Red, not everybody owns a multi acre rural homestead already equiped with a mature orchard and garden plots. In fact, very few of us could ever afford such a spread. So maybe we can improve our lot by planting a small or medium sized garden, but in fact when the garden produce runs out, looting may be the only option. A sad state of affairs but just the stark reality of the situation. We could be facing very dark times filled with very nasty decisions to be made.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Reading some of your comments so far, it seems your prepper strategy is to take from others. IMO, you are posting on the wrong forum. I think you would be a better fit with BLM or other groups that think looting & stealing during a crisis is your right or an opportunity not to be missed.
Do you want your wife and kids to survive or don't you?
Remember I'm talking about a hardcore post-apoc SHTF world where billions have died of plague or radiation or whatever and there are empty houses and deserted stores everywhere which other survivors will help themselves to unless we beat them to it..:)
My group will be the dominant group for miles around, and if any trespassers come looking for trouble we'll say to them-

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #37 (Edited)
..in fact when the garden produce runs out, looting may be the only option..
Yeah but I think I'd prefer the word "commandeering" rather than "looting" because looting is something only criminals do..:)
In a starving post-apoc world it's just plain commonsense to help ourselves from deserted grocers rather than leave good food to go rotten or eaten by rats..
Could get rough out there--

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
In a starving post-apoc world it's just plain commonsense to help ourselves from deserted grocers rather than leave good food to go rotten or eaten by rats..
Could get rough out there--
And you really think these deserted grocers will still be stocked with food? Just waiting for Spanky & his gang to come and stock up?

I'm guessing you are a teen or pre teen, sitting at home because of Covid? Have you ever grown anything? Not read about it or cut & pasted pics... but actually done it?

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
Well Red, not everybody owns a multi acre rural homestead already equiped with a mature orchard and garden plots. In fact, very few of us could ever afford such a spread. So maybe we can improve our lot by planting a small or medium sized garden, but in fact when the garden produce runs out, looting may be the only option. A sad state of affairs but just the stark reality of the situation. We could be facing very dark times filled with very nasty decisions to be made.
Surely you know looting is a piss poor survival strategy? You have access to a forum full of ideas to help, but you want to plan on looting? The LAST place I want to be post SHTF is anywhere near a store, with other desperate folks. That will be incredibly dangerous, even for the Rambo types here.

I suggest you come up with a plan... something better than stealing from others.

21 - 40 of 158 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.