Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner
21 - 36 of 36 Posts

· Registered
2,186 Posts
I would layer your food supply.

So many days of class A food - read fresh. Include what you have stored in your freezer. Also items like butter eggs cheese sugar and salt.

So many days of class B food - read similar to class A but comes in cans but comes in cans. These can be eaten either hot or cold. Would include items like spaghetti - chef boyarde, beef stew and corned beef hash and chilli w/ beans.

So many days long term usage. Canned meats, ramon noodles dried beans rice.

I'd start with two weeks supply of each and up the last two groups an additional week of supply every second week you shop. By the time you get three months out you'll have almost six months supply

· Registered
1,138 Posts
im a construction laborer so i do about 5-8 hours of physical work on the job, i tried 2000 calories and i felt like i was starving i currently need 2500 about now.
Have a lot of pancake mixes and syrups for snacks, or extenders to meals. That should add a huge amount of calories.
I have quite a bit of them (complete variety - just add water).
When my stock of regular bread runs out, that's my plan B. Skillet bread. :)

· Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Have a lot of pancake mixes and syrups for snacks, or extenders to meals. That should add a huge amount of calories.
I have quite a bit of them (complete variety - just add water).
When my stock of regular bread runs out, that's my plan B. Skillet bread. :)
pancakes are a good treat to stock up they don't take up alot of space and all you need is water and a hot skillet, and its somewhat cheap.

· Registered
371 Posts
As for canned potatoes, I have several cases. First time I tried it, not so great. So there they sat. Last night I used the canned sliced potatoes to make scalloped potatoes. Really yummy! And so much easier, no peeling and slicing needed. I added diced ham; one could use Spam or other canned meats.

So I revise my low opinion of canned taters. This was just as good as using fresh potatoes.

· Registered
67 Posts
I just discovered Bisquick mix from Betty Crocker. Armed with one large box of this and basic staples. you can make pancakes, waffles, Biscuits, cake, pie crust, and or dumplings
Do yourself a favor and repackage your mix (if you plan on long term storage). Like any product containing wheat it will go buggy eventually. I have some in Mylar bags with O2 absorbers and some in mason jars with O2 absorbers. No oxygen, no bugs.

· Registered
67 Posts
Seems universal that you do not NEED an oxygen absorber for sugar with some saying it will cause it to become brick
O2 absorbers will cause sugar to become a brick. Sugar will last indefinitely so long as it doesn't absorb moisture so if you live in a humid area store it with desiccant packs for long term storage.

· Registered
Being prepared for the inevitable
56 Posts
Worst case survival scenario: Oats don't have to be cooked. Just soak overnight with some water.
And, they last forever! I'm still eating batch that's been double bagged in 2017!
Couldn't tell any difference from new ones.
Water is top priority, BOL has well.
wood/wood gas/charcoal for fuel. Wood is plentiful wood gasifier to produce both wood gas and charcoal in plans. Wood gas & charcoal reduce or eliminate smoke.

· Registered
5 Posts
Eat what you have stocked. Then replace it as you eat buying what you like.
This. Eat what you store, and store what you eat. This is a long term sustainable plan.

The thing is, "starvation insurance" is really tempting. A few 25lb sealed pails of wheat and oats will go a long way to augment caloric intake during times of not enough food. While not a balanced or complete diet, an extra thousand calories of wheat and oats per day would help a lot. And the shelf life when properly stored is longer than most people's life expectancy.

· Registered
60 Posts
I'm looking for a list of how long various canned goods last. I don't want to rely on stuff that is past the best by date. I don't want to rely on some weird dehydrated stuff that "claims" to last 25 years. I like unexpired canned food. That is more intuitive for me. I know that will work. And I don't want to be "that guy" with a basement full of guns and MREs.

Most canned stuff lasts less than a year. Some stuff lasts 5 years. I bought cans of corned beef today. The upfront cost is high, but it is good until 2027. If you amortize over the life of the product, it is cheaper than buying tomatoes.

My plan is to stock up on stuff that has a minimum life of about a year and a half. Each December, I'm going to go through and find everything that will be expiring in less than a year and donate it to the food pantry. It's a good way to make sure my stuff is always usable. It also helps a good cause. If somebody finds my stash, I explain that I buy a few extra cans for the needy every time I go to the store and I make a big happy Christmas donation. Nobody has to even know that it is deliberate food security for my family in the meantime.

The food pantry doesn't accept glass, so that would have to get thrown out. I'm avoiding it.

SPAM and corned beef, black olives, any kind of canned beans, corn. All that stuff is good. I think acidic stuff like tomatoes or pineapples doesn't last as long.

If there is stuff that you actually use on a regular basis, you can simply buy more and rotate that way.
Unfortunately you won’t survive long with a mindset like that. Cannes goods have no actual expiration date. When something happens you will need to eat, and if your can of peas is 1 month past that date would you eat or starve?

21 - 36 of 36 Posts