Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
been stacking up on some cans again so far chili and beans and hash and beef, and soups. i got 30 pounds of rice, nothing crazy. put is 30 pounds of rice enough for emergency or do i need like 120 pounds of rice.

·
Super Moderator
1-6 months, natural disasters or economic collapse
11,025 Posts
For what length of time are you expecting to rely on this food?
How many calories a day do you want to consume during this period?

·
Super Moderator
9,514 Posts
How many days do you want to survive without starving. Since the economy has gone down the toilet, I purchase about 5-10 pounds of rice, 2-5 pounds of flour and sugar, and 5-10 cans of different foods each month when I get my check. Now all I need to do is get a bigger house.

·
Registered
15 Posts
how many people are u feeding? Cans are good but u need to rotate your stock after a few years. If are storing rice flour sugar etc.. put it in an air tight container, with an oxygen absorber. It will last longer.

·
Registered
989 Posts
been stacking up on some cans again so far chili and beans and hash and beef, and soups. i got 30 pounds of rice, nothing crazy. put is 30 pounds of rice enough for emergency or do i need like 120 pounds of rice.
The general rule is that you'll need one quart of food per person per day (365 quarts per person for a year). You'll need to decide how long you'll rely solely on your supplies.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
For what length of time are you expecting to rely on this food?
How many calories a day do you want to consume during this period?
ima 6'3 amd 230 pounds, i workout 3-4 days a week, so i need at least 2500 calories a day starting i think i can slowly go down to 1800 a day. The prep is just to last 2-3 months in case of emegency., Food is for two people max.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
How many days do you want to survive without starving. Since the economy has gone down the toilet, I purchase about 5-10 pounds of rice, 2-5 pounds of flour and sugar, and 5-10 cans of different foods each month when I get my check. Now all I need to do is get a bigger house.
iam seeing more folks prepping in new york just seen a neighbor bringing in like 20 pounds of food and 15 pounds of water.

·
Super Moderator
1-6 months, natural disasters or economic collapse
11,025 Posts
ima 6'3 amd 230 pounds, i workout 3-4 days a week, so i need at least 2500 calories a day starting i think i can slowly go down to 1800 a day. The prep is just to last 2-3 months in case of emegency., Food is for two people max.
Cool. Now take those cans in question and see how many calories each contains. This will allow you to figure out how many per day you'd need to consume to maintain the minimum 1800 kcal/day intake.
Do the same for the 2nd person as well.
Multiply that by 60-90 days.
That's how many cans you need for maintaining bare bones sustenance on just that food alone.
1 pound of white rice contains ~590 calories. Your current store of 30lbs will give you enough calories for just under 10 days, if that's all you consumed, and maintained the 1800 kcal/day intake.
4 times that amount(120lbs) will net you a total of 40 days on rice alone. This does not account for the 2nd person.
You'll likely want to kill yourself if those are your only options for months...

Diversify your foods. Store spices that allow you to change the taste a bit.

You'll want a minimum of 1 gallon of drinking water per person per day. More if you anticipate any degree of physical exertion.
You'll need additional water for things cooking and sanitation.

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
The army's ration for one day was one pound each of meat grain (bread) and veggies or fruit. It's not a bad guide. Gives one right at two thousand calories
For folks engaged in high exertion work for the US army are issued three mre's per day or between 3300 and 5000 calories per day

Reactions: starsky

·
Super Moderator
9,514 Posts
Calorie count is import. If you need do physical work, you are going to need lots of calories. If you're hiding in the basement, do no working, you'll put on wait. Boredom eating is incidious.

·
Administrator
15,718 Posts
Here at the homestead it's just the wife and I.
She has about three years of canned goods put away, hundreds of pounds of rice, and three freezers worth of not only meat, but vegetables and even bags of flour to bake bread.
Plus, she's been canning this week - vegetables, potatoes, chicken.
We just bought a half of a cow, when it has been butchered and cut up we should net about 250 pounds of organic grass fed beef.

If the grocery stores were empty, we would still be good. For a long time.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I'm looking for a list of how long various canned goods last. I don't want to rely on stuff that is past the best by date. I don't want to rely on some weird dehydrated stuff that "claims" to last 25 years. I like unexpired canned food. That is more intuitive for me. I know that will work. And I don't want to be "that guy" with a basement full of guns and MREs.

Most canned stuff lasts less than a year. Some stuff lasts 5 years. I bought cans of corned beef today. The upfront cost is high, but it is good until 2027. If you amortize over the life of the product, it is cheaper than buying tomatoes.

My plan is to stock up on stuff that has a minimum life of about a year and a half. Each December, I'm going to go through and find everything that will be expiring in less than a year and donate it to the food pantry. It's a good way to make sure my stuff is always usable. It also helps a good cause. If somebody finds my stash, I explain that I buy a few extra cans for the needy every time I go to the store and I make a big happy Christmas donation. Nobody has to even know that it is deliberate food security for my family in the meantime.

The food pantry doesn't accept glass, so that would have to get thrown out. I'm avoiding it.

SPAM and corned beef, black olives, any kind of canned beans, corn. All that stuff is good. I think acidic stuff like tomatoes or pineapples doesn't last as long.

If there is stuff that you actually use on a regular basis, you can simply buy more and rotate that way.

·
Administrator
15,718 Posts
I have eaten commercially canned pinto beans that were 5 years past their "best by" date.
They were OK.

Reactions: David_Roark

·
Registered
Being prepared for the inevitable
54 Posts
how many people are u feeding? Cans are good but u need to rotate your stock after a few years. If are storing rice flour sugar etc.. put it in an air tight container, with an oxygen absorber. It will last longer.
I'm certain I saw that oxygen absobers should not be used for sugar. If it wasn't literally 1 minute before bed I'd search it.
I'll be back over the weekend

·
Registered
369 Posts
Keep in mind that things like rice, dried beans and pasta require a lot of water and fuel to cook.

My attitude is if I am hungry enough, those canned potatoes (not very tasty now) may be a welcome meal. Beggars can't be choosy. I hope the day never comes when people will kill for a can of food that is two years past its "Best By" date.

As for "that guy" with a basement full of guns and MRE's, he may be the last man standing. Who knows?

1 - 20 of 36 Posts