Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Say something drastic were to happen and you had to head to your BOL. Realistically, how long would it take you to get there safely and get things set up like you are planning? Are you already getting it set up or do you plan on doing it later?

·
Premium Member
2,943 Posts
To get there...Driving.. 20min. Walking 2 hours.

It's already up and running so no time at all.

·
Registered
6,086 Posts
I am in my BOL... it's all working fine.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Mine is the same as paulS, house is concrete ,block, and stucco, windows are hi impact hurricane windows plus hurricane shutters for all windows and doors. That includes the garage door. the two weak points as I see it is the roof if they get close enough it can be set afire and the man door going out of the garage it does have a roll down shutter that is made of a strong fabric and the door is metal but it can be breached easier than any other point in the house. But of course this point will be watched at all times. If for some reason we are forced out there are plenty of woods in my area that we are familiar with taking the bob's and weapons with us. We have discussed this situation and the way we see it if we are forced out and see we are going to lose the fight it will be a double suicide we are too old to withstand long periods of battle.

·
Registered
232 Posts
We, too are in our BOL. At least we hope. We live in what could best be described as a village in a rural area. If the situation called for it we could head to the more remote 40 acre in-laws place about an hour and a quarter away. The trick would be getting our preps there. We don't stock out there since I feel that we would have a hard time getting there due to traffic clogging the roads. It could be sort of an exodus route from the city. I think we are better off staying in our small community. More long term resources and manpower.

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The reason I asked was I have noticed several posts lately where I think some people think they will be traveling from place to place and think their bob and one or two weapons is all they will ever have.

I am like some of you guys, we are lucky enough to already be at our BOL and have already started living self sufficiently. So it will make it much easier if something were to happen to the grid or something like that.. We still have several more things we want to add to what we are doing and hopefully within the next 6 months, we will have everything finished..

·
Registered
559 Posts
1.5 hours by car, everything is already up and running.

No car? It will be shelter in place. Everything is already up and running, but much more populated and less ability to 'resupply'. I have no will(delusion?) to try and hoof it with small children...

·
Registered
21,643 Posts
We will Stay right here live or die in place. Security will be up already and improved by the minute. Those that belong here will filter in.

Reactions: dwight55

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
Well, we plan to bug in here, since we live rural and mostly self sustaining. We do have a fall back location, but it is 700 miles away. I keep enough fuel to make it there without having to find fuel along the way. About 12 hours by car.

·
Registered
904 Posts
I too live at my primary BOL. I do have a secondary BOL that is 40 minutes away driving, and would take all day walking with the family to get there.

·
Registered
3,365 Posts
no bol here (my dream bol about $50000 au worth) is 20 acres in the grate dividing range (Google earth Toowoomba, it will be the closest major town, that is nothing more than a large country town)

this site is 3.5 hours from home, I believe most damage from anything will start at the coastline, and if you look up that location, due east is another mountain range... I'm probably dreaming about getting there unharmed but the location of the site is perfect (just got to raise 50k.. lol)

·
Registered
855 Posts
No BOL, I'll have to bug in I guess. Our town is pretty small and plenty of places to hunt within about 20min drive time, I can actually hunt small game right in my neighborhood if I had to. Water is even closer in the event that I am unable to get water from our well due to long term power loss. We're out of this state in a few years so I can't justify buying a piece of land for BOL since I'm not at all sure where we'll end up when we move. I'd like to look into Wyoming but I think we'll probably end up heading south so my wife can be closer to her mother. No matter where we end up I plan on our next house being far enough from humanity to serve as our BOL and having enough land to be able to hunt my own land.

-Infidel

·
Registered
438 Posts
Say something drastic were to happen and you had to head to your BOL. Realistically, how long would it take you to get there safely and get things set up like you are planning? Are you already getting it set up or do you plan on doing it later?
Answer depends on when something drastic happens... If it happens now, 7 hour drive, so I'd likely bypass bugging out and lay low where I'm at. If it happens in March/April when I'm in FL to finish some school work, I'd do the same...

But if SHTF after I graduate and land a job, my hope is to be roughly 1:30 away with the first half hour being the most dangerous part of the trip... I'd have to take a major highway and pass through a decent sized college town before being in the land of hunters and hillbillies... who I think we can all agree are more trustworthy than most other folk...

Ideally I'd like to be even closer than that... Maybe even turn it into a permanent residence if I can land the right job...

·
Registered
4,373 Posts
The key issue is simple. Do I perceive an issue that enables me to leisurely bug out with no traffic, travel safety, or other concerns? If that was the case it's 5.5 hrs by F150. That is of course always ideal and I spend enough time at my BOL there is really nothing to set up except security parameters based on possible threats (reason we bugged out). I also believe in leaving at 3:30 am given the choice in a questionable time because traffic is likely to be reduced and druggies likely to be passed out and lessor of a problem. I also have a 3 day vehicle plan should I only be able to travel 45 minutes in the first leg, 90 minutes on the second and it's predicted by rural route will be easier all the way in after that. This would be used if I believed security was an issue in major highways be it govt or looters.

The last resort is bicycle and horse back. Our bikes would get us to known horse locations or take us in over a period of 21 days with very short travel bursts in between scanned secure positions.

·
Registered
24,529 Posts
Thirty minutes by vehicles. If the vehicles are not operating, we will stay where we are.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
I'm all setup already take about an hour to move to secondary location up in the hills If we have to go...

·
Registered
560 Posts
I have multiple BOLs anywhere from 20 minutes to 36 hours on foot. And my current location is well supplied and ready. Last summer I decided to walk to my furthest location, gave me a new perspective on the distance but I made it in just under 36 hours. I have a further location but would never try getting there on foot. 8 hours by road and 3 by small plane and I am a pilot.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts