Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4,692 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, just consumed another "dinty moore" no refridgerater meal, I have tried about 5 flavors now, and with my "surgically enhanced stomach", they are just perfect sized, and damn if they dont actually taste good.
Was reading the expiration date, and ingredients, today is 3-18-2013 says 8/16/2014, and the ingredients are are natural easy to cook products, until it lists color and flavoring..
They come in plastic and are vacuum sealed, now to the 64,000 question, is it just the packaging making it so long term, and that the food is already cooked.
I have no experience canning foods, but wouldnt canning something already cooked be close to eqevelant to this, Now, I gotta go buy some meat to makle jerky for a friend or three, and buy some large baby food jars, and hamberhelper here i come......

·
Registered
100 Posts
I would check for some additives in there. If not, most meals are vacuum sealed and cooked just to the point where you can eat it. Alot of premade meals frozen or not are done like this. Michelena's are flash frozen once they are cooked not vacuum sealed and I believe that is the only difference.

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
The big difference in fresh canning and stuff like Dinty Moore, Progresso soups and Campbell's is the extra preservatives they put in mix with the horse lips, cow tongues and dog butts they consider meat.

·
Registered
6,086 Posts
Dinty Moore uses vacuum packaging and a UV protion packet that allows the nutritional value to last longer than "canned" food. It is still basically canned food and you have to be careful with the packets because if they get even a tiny pin-hole they will spoil ot produce toxins that will kill you. The only "preservative" in them is salt.

·
Registered
4,692 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
awesome. was doing some more researh, and the computer says pasts and noodles dont do well under vacuum prssure of canning, and that boiing water bath would only work for things without meat, but I havent spoke with my fiance about canning yet, i know she has done jellies and jams, but I dont know how much else.
wher im from, horse lips, cow tounge and dogs butt are considered a specialty item....Love that there is a lot of my sense of humor out here on the board, but honestly, I think i can eat damn near anything, if its cooked right...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts