Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
remember the last time oil prices went up like 15 years ago?
air travel started having fees added to the ticket prices.. . 'fuel surcharge' 'bag surcharge' carry on surcharge for the second bag... etc...

when fuel prices fell... they kept the surcharge... last year when fuel was dirt cheap..... they didn't drop ticket prices...

eventually supply and demand / market competition will catch up.. and prices should become competetive...
but don't expect people out of the goodness of their hearts to try to save consumers money....

dog eat dog world out there...

·
Registered
608 Posts
I remember the first time I saw size changed. Dairy Queen made their malts half size but the price stayed the same. I asked why not just raise the price if needed and keep the size the same. People won't buy it if the price goes up was the answer, sigh. I just bought tuna on Tuesday, yesterday it was up 20 cents. I knew this administration was going to screw us up bad but really didn't expect it this soon.

·
Registered
608 Posts
I just saw this listed on marketplace, I kid you not, bags of gas.

Reactions: Annie

·
Registered
128 Posts
LOL! At first I thought those were bags of urine...

The local grocery store has sales on canned goods every month, alternating what is on sale. Last fall, canned beans went for 50 cents. I bought a bunch of cases. Two weeks ago, they were on sale for 69 cents. I bought a couple of cases. They will probably increase in price again soon. That's okay folks. It's all "transitory"........transiting on the way UP.

·
Administrator
15,111 Posts
Package size has been downsizing for years. Many years. This is nothing new.
My favorite snack, Cheez-Its, went from a 10 oz regular size gradually down to the current 7 oz size with no change in price.

Reactions: OrneryOldBat

·
Registered
Firearms & Self Defense.
4,614 Posts
It’s not wise to reduce the size of packages: and it is self-defeating. Because the packages will become so small and the price so high; that the people will switch brands, or they just quit buying the stuff altogether.

But, that won’t stop the companies from doing the downsizing, because they don’t have any wisdom in most businesses. Instead they listen to the tyranny of the urgent, and what the moment requires.

Downsizing is a sideways method of inflation, and I remember when Chase & Sanborn reduced the size of a can of coffee. It was pretty dramatic and I haven’t gotten any of that brand since they did that. It’s an insult after it happens often enough.

·
Registered
6,107 Posts
Can you name a brand of ground coffee that hasn't followed suit?
Can you name a brand of ice cream that hasnt followed suit?
It's deceptive marketing. We all know it and we all buy ice cream and coffee.
Its been going on for far more many years than talk of inlation has.

·
Registered
3,175 Posts
My wife has always shopped price per ounce, lbs etc when grocery shopping.. Its very addictive once you start doing it.
I remember when potato chips starting downsizing. Bag stayed about same, but air kept it large even though less chips.

·
Registered
Firearms & Self Defense.
4,614 Posts
Can you name a brand of ground coffee that hasn't followed suit?
Can you name a brand of ice cream that hasnt followed suit?
It's deceptive marketing. We all know it and we all buy ice cream and coffee.
Its been going on for far more many years than talk of inlation has.
Folgers still has 3 lb cans of delicious coffee which is stocked by Wal Mart, & on their store shelves.

I think that it costs $12 or so; anyway that honesty in packaging, caused me to use Folgers as my go to. And it lasts longer too, Maxwell House has 42 oz cans and I get those sometimes, but it ain’t 3 lbs.

Blue Bell has vanilla ice cream in a 1/2 gallon size, and it says so in a banner, on the package. So, when I get an occasional ice cream treat, I intend to get that brand. They are honest about their sizing, and it is great stuff.

PS: I was able to get a 10 pound bag of pinto beans at Save A Lot, and they stopped carrying them, and 4 pound is the big size now. I suppose the 10 lb wasn’t popular, except with me and Mexicans: and they were a better grade that the SAL stuff, that is stocked now.

PSS: The store manager is a *** or something.😎🤣

Reactions: Weldman

·
Registered
142 Posts
I use an app to track prices by oz. and it really opens your eyes to just how deceptive some sales can be. (I was old school and used a spreadsheet for a long time, but the app is more portable so I can consult it on the fly.) It also really helps in stores like costco where you can instantly see if that flat of TP is really a bargain (hint - it's usually not, I get my best deals on TP from my local store sales).

·
Registered
Firearms & Self Defense.
4,614 Posts
Oh my gracious. Can you imagine the potential for something awful?
They did not put any brain power to work, that is tantamount to making a fire bomb. All that they need is to get rammed in the rear, and there would be a Hell on Earth.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts