Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did a search on this forum for "fruitarian" and came up with zero. We are not strict fruitarians, more pragmatically into raw foods and keeping the bodily fluids alkalyzed. We avoid cooked (acid-forming) foods and ungerminated grains as much as possible. We do this because we feel healthier eating this way, not for any morality reasons really, because I do like an occasional chicken in the pot. I would call our diet, "frugivorish". The human body is biologically classified as a type of primate, and physically there is not much special about the human body except its expanded brain, and the apes seem to do just fine in the wild on a diet of mostly raw fruits.

Our diet is switched over to 80% raw fruits and greens because we got healthier eating that way and now we have learned to prefer this, although I still hold to those nostalgic food memories of Mother lovingly serving up our favorite casseroles or cobblers, but now they never seem to taste as good as I remember them tasting :tango_face_smile:

Hubby told me we need to store foods to last for a long time and enough for at least two to three months.

To keep this short - weeks of research and querying different growers and producers and learning about mylar and oxygen absorbers and mason jars, etcetera, etcetera, this is my current stock - mostly organic:

Turkish apricots
Zante black currants (unoiled) - 30lbs
Manukka raisins (with the seeds)
Banana chips (from Honeyville)
Raw honey and honeycomb
Pure peanut butter in glass jars
Raw date paste (24lbs)
Raw black fig paste (20 lbs)
Raw "Coconut Secret" flour
Virgin Coconut oil

I'm starting to purchase and sample some freeze dried fruit powders and have some "4x Papaya Powder" to try out.
I also purchased a whole foods gold label vitamin supplement that has great reviews on Amazon
Lots of mylar bags and oxygen absorbers and mason jars too. I like the pint-and-half tall narrow jars for "portion control".

Of course I'm purchasing a lot of canned and jarred fruits and veggies, and some of those nostalgic junk foods, such as macaroni and cheese and canned soups.

My favorite "cheat food" is a chilled can of apricot halves in fruit juice :vs_smile:

I've gained 10 pounds testing and tasting the foods and possible recipes. I'm learning to use the Coconut Secret flour without cooking it and I am very pleased with it. When slightly warmed it reminds me of the Cream-of-Wheat from childhood. It is very gut-friendly and tastes very good with some vanilla extract, but can be made into a decent pancake with some egg-whites whipped in. A little bit of it goes a long way. It can be flavored to be either sweet or savory (for example a curry dish).

I've been collecting citrus rinds and drying and powdering them as a digestive aid and to spark up some bland foods.
We've been purchasing the one-pound bottles of the "Now" brand powdered stevia as a sweetener.

Yes, these are "expensive" food items, but they are concentrated, nutrient dense living foods and they won't cause anyone any digestive discomfort when properly prepared, and we are elderly folks with some digestive issues from our years of eating mostly cooked wheat, dairy, and meats. I also got bulk rate prices with the most economical shipping. For example, 30 pounds of Zante currants for a total of $3.25 per pound and they look absolutely gorgeous and taste great.

Will I throw in some rice and beans? I'm hoping not, because I'm not sure how long viable brown or pre-germinated rice would last even with oxygen absorbers - will have to test it out first. Beans are okay because I can sprout them, such as the mung bean sprouts and pea sprouts. Pea soup is a great hearty nostalgia food.

My back yard is running amuck with comfrey and I will harvest and dry and powder it, along with some dandelion and plaintain, etcetera. I do not have a dehydrator and my slow cooker crockpot has a "warm" setting and it does a great job of drying things (with the lid off of course). I still have a craving for noodles so I purchased a Chiba vegetable turning slicer for making cucumber and zucchini noodle dishes, which is quite a fad now and with many many recipes. I will also purchase a 12-volt slow cooker to run off the solar.

I also plan to purchase "The Pines" liquid alfalfa as a health tonic.

I feel this matter is mostly settled and I'm now researching gardening methods and collecting a stash of hermetically sealed heirloom seeds. I decided to go with the Mittleider gardening method which is clearly explained in the LDSPrepper YouTube channel.

Praise, prayer, fasting, meditation with thankful attitude. The earth gives us everything we need and we need for nothing.

·
Registered
272 Posts
I've come to the conclusion that many people are different (we all come from different corners of the earth afterall) in what is their best or optimal diet. I myself feel much better eating what many call a caveman diet (meats, veggies, fruits, nuts...). I look forward to your input on learning how to store some different items.

Reactions: Kara and Denton

·
Registered
24,529 Posts
I've come to the conclusion that many people are different (we all come from different corners of the earth afterall) in what is their best or optimal diet. I myself feel much better eating what many call a caveman diet (meats, veggies, fruits, nuts...). I look forward to your input on learning how to store some different items.
I too, eat more paleo than anything else.

There are veggies that require some form of cooking to better release the nutrients. Broccoli, for example, need to be steamed.

Too much of the wrong fruit will add too much sugar, undoing the refraining from processed sugars.

I agree with Kara that ungerminated grain is not a good idea. It has caused a lot of health problems for people.

·
Registered
10,929 Posts
Sure something to be said for raw Veganism. Thanks for your input. Glad your getting those B vitamins. Not much of that available in the plant kingdom. I dont thank the earth for anything. I thank the Creator who made it. Who do you pray to when you pray?

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You are so right about people having different food preferences, growing up in different regions of the country too. I honestly don't know how long the dried fruits will store - long-term food storage is new to me as I usually eat the raisins up before they have time to get old.

I have some leeway on what I eat because the dryfasting is my ace-up-the-sleeve. I've already tested this out for myself and it works for me. In fact, it really lifts my spirits too, so it does double-duty - body and mind. There is a small amount of correct data about dryfasting from people who have actually done it and there is one Facebook Group that teaches intermittent fasting. I don't think any ONE PERSON is 100% correct or wise or know-it-all, and you do need to know yourself and fit things in with your own background.

I enjoy reading other people's experiences, rather than what they just heard or were taught without any questioning or testing. For example I get a lot of "fruit sugars are bad for you" and here I am healthier and sleeker, with no stiff joints or arthritis or nerve diseases or bowel issues, and no more pre-disposition for diabetes, and I'm 62 years and felt worse when I was 25 on an acid-forming diet (cooked foods mostly) than I do now.

Sure I had to break from my food culture and people who are heavily into their food culture are welcome to it. I believe people should be able to live the way they want to without needing to use force or deprivation. If I state my food preferences and my reasoning behind it and that raises a protest in someone's mind, well that's THEIR MIND. Get it?

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sure something to be said for raw Veganism. Thanks for your input. Glad your getting those B vitamins. Not much of that available in the plant kingdom. I dont thank the earth for anything. I thank the Creator who made it. Who do you pray to when you pray?
I acknowledge your opinions and your viewpoint about the earth and the creator who made it. "Ask and you shall receive, seek and you shall find, knock and the door shall be opened" and I will answer your question with another question: who is the Highest and Only Giver of it all?

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I too, eat more paleo than anything else.

There are veggies that require some form of cooking to better release the nutrients. Broccoli, for example, need to be steamed.

Too much of the wrong fruit will add too much sugar, undoing the refraining from processed sugars.

I agree with Kara that ungerminated grain is not a good idea. It has caused a lot of health problems for people.
Hello, Denton, thank you for your input. I agree with you about eating some veggies cooked. I don't always need to be de-toxing the body and some cooked foods are grounding and taste better that way. If I overdo the cooked foods then I can go into a fasting/de-toxing mode to clear out the system. Life just got very simple for me - no more medical bills or doctors, excellent health compared with my younger days. Isn't prepping about being self-sustaining when or if the systems fail us?

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hello, Bigwheel,

Life is hierarchical and there are spirits above us and below us and one can say hello to a spirit just as I said "hello" to you; however as you are intimating it is not wise to get into worshipping higher or lower (more degraded) spirits, just as it is not wise to grant too much esteem to any person, and one of my favorite sayings of Jesus is that he acknowledged us as his brothers and sisters, just as capable as he to connect to the highest god.

·
Registered
10,929 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
We got on the Vegan kick heavy for several years. Was never hungry..always felt good and hit real close to ideal weight in a short while. I did cheat a bit and have one pig out day per week where I could eat whatever I wanted and pick up some B's without taking supplements. Humans need meat about once a week.
Living and Raw Foods: The largest community on the internet for living and raw food information
Hello, Bigwheel, yes, when I go on the raw food forums there are very few people complaining about ill -health - just some horrible stuff sometimes coming out of their bodies at the beginning, and, like yourself most of them feel better. On other forums there is a lot of health complaints and I do notice the difference with myself too.

Yeah, pig-out days are great. When I was weightlifting I had one day a week as a pig-out day. Thumbs up to that!

Eating is not what my life is all about as sometimes I get so interested in other projects that I can forget to eat. This thread is about eating though.
Bottom line is stay healthy, don't need to run to a doctor and get his drugs, and be happy with your loved ones.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Very interesting. I feel better when I eat 4 small meals a day heavy on proteins and veggies then a piece of fruit for a snack.

And, I learned a new word, Fruitarians.
Thank you for bringing that up because I don't give myself labels and I don't really like that word "fruitarian". I'm doing the best I can with the data I have to work with and the tests I've done on myself and the results I've gotten. Everyone should live their life the way they have found is working for them and their loved ones of course.

This forum is about prepping and my threads are for that person who might have some of my peculiar prepping requirements. I did the work and I'm paying it forward and let God decide who needs to know.

·
Registered
24,529 Posts
Hello, Denton, thank you for your input. I agree with you about eating some veggies cooked. I don't always need to be de-toxing the body and some cooked foods are grounding and taste better that way. If I overdo the cooked foods then I can go into a fasting/de-toxing mode to clear out the system. Life just got very simple for me - no more medical bills or doctors, excellent health compared with my younger days. Isn't prepping about being self-sustaining when or if the systems fail us?
Eating the way I do, all I hear at my annuals is, "Whatever you are doing, keep it up!"
I do not detox, though I am sure I should.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Eating the way I do, all I hear at my annuals is, "Whatever you are doing, keep it up!"
I do not detox, though I am sure I should.
You are getting some good feedback about your diet, that's great. Whenever the body gets better diet it naturally de-toxes over time. I just like the very short and powerful dryfast, and then the rest of the time don't get too anal-listic about it.

Whatever you are doing do more of it, hehehe.

·
Registered
10,929 Posts
Back in the day we only ate fruit for breakfast. Lunch and supper was dark leafy green salads with any kind of raw veggie a person might like dressed with xxx virgin greek olive oyl and Braggs Apple cider vinegar. Beans and cornbread in an emergency.

·
Registered
21,643 Posts
I have for most of my life preferred my veggies uncooked or a lightly as I could get . Same with fruit. With a lot of things we eat they need to be combined with other food for us to get the most value from it. Field corn with lime makes the protein useable.

Reactions: Kara

·
Registered
608 Posts
Thank you for bringing that up because I don't give myself labels and I don't really like that word "fruitarian". I'm doing the best I can with the data I have to work with and the tests I've done on myself and the results I've gotten. Everyone should live their life the way they have found is working for them and their loved ones of course.

This forum is about prepping and my threads are for that person who might have some of my peculiar prepping requirements. I did the work and I'm paying it forward and let God decide who needs to know.
Kara, I really appreciate the thought you put into not only your OP, but also the responses to others. I have not been that thoughtful towards prep foods and sort of approached it as a protein per day averaging...Your post, while certainly not going to turn me in to a 'Fruit" loop - no offence intended...it has made me think about how to exchange a lot of todays comfort foods that the family eats...(The chocolate, ho-hos, donuts, with things that could be stored and still introduced as a healthy replacement for those in a SHTF situation...

I'd say that some of your flour, some date paste, fig, etc could be made into some very tasty treats... I look forward to any reports you have to offer...

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Kara, I really appreciate the thought you put into not only your OP, but also the responses to others. I have not been that thoughtful towards prep foods and sort of approached it as a protein per day averaging...Your post, while certainly not going to turn me in to a 'Fruit" loop - no offence intended...it has made me think about how to exchange a lot of todays comfort foods that the family eats...(The chocolate, ho-hos, donuts, with things that could be stored and still introduced as a healthy replacement for those in a SHTF situation...

I'd say that some of your flour, some date paste, fig, etc could be made into some very tasty treats... I look forward to any reports you have to offer...
Hello, New guy, a prepper does need to feed the mind with foods you grew up on and still have nostalgic memories or would feel deprived if you suddenly didn't have them. It's taken a couple of years for me to re-train my palate and do a body-cleanse which helped me kill desires for dairy products. Maybe it is my age and everyone in my family being over 50 that I have more attention now on amino acids than I do on proteins for nourishment. There are some canned meats on the shelf labelled, "Comfort Foods"

If you've ever had date rolls .... add some raw coconut flour to the date paste until stiff enough and dust with coconut shreds. That's a big hit here. My hubby feels as long as he takes his super duper whole foods vitamins he will be okay and he's ordered at least a year's supply (they do get rave reviews on Amazon). If you or anyone in your family likes trail mix or has eaten the organic Turkish apricots and likes them then you've got a good way to get some whole foods nourishment into them.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts