Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just weighed mine, its around 19 pounds. Mainly the water is the heaviest, which accounts for 4 pounds of it. I want to trim this off by getting some water tablets instead. I figure I can store the water in my car.

·
Registered
693 Posts
Look at getting one of those Katadyn water filters, they may not save you a whole lot of weight but you can get hundreds of uses from it instead of the tablets. if you get in a prolonged situation or the tablets get wet....well you are kinda screwed. just an idea!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Mine weighs about 50 pounds with everything packed onto it. Very heavy yes, but I plan on buggin in really.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I look for ways to lighten mine up. If I find a mess kit that is lighter than the one I have, I spend the money to get it. 1lb can make a huge difference over miles of travel. I like to look at it like a professional bike rider, they are always out there to lighten up the load on the bike, and they tweak, upgrade their components and spend the extra dough until they get it street legal.

·
Registered
693 Posts
Plus if you get used to carrying 20-25lbs and you lighten it up by a pound, you can replace it with food, or more water, or more ammo!!

·
Registered
36 Posts
I just put together a quick BOB and a long term getting out of the city BOB the quick one is around 20 lbs the long term about 75lbs. I know it may seem like alot but if you just walk around your block and take it on a little hike once a week you get used to it. That said I have modified the framed hiking back pack and cut out usless peices, zipper handle ( used gutted 550 cord, also 550 doesn't "clink" when it moves) there was a peice of fabric that seperated two compartments GONE. It has been awhile sence I took all that out but I was able to remove about 5lbs of usless... stuff. and with freeze dried foods and lighter material equip I could survive in the wild indefinatly. I will be doning the same for another pack for my wife and getting her to get used to it, with a little less weight. I also have to keep in mind that my 2 1/2 yo and soon to be newborn will not be carrying anything at all. I am going to get the saddle bags for my dog and rigging up a little cart that can hook up to it so he can perhaps lighten our weigh and perhaps have the kids in tow.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I agree with Buckinbronco66, I have different bags...my EDC bag is just a couple pounds, my med Bug out Bag that stays in my truck is about 20lbs, and I'm currently in the beginning stages of putting together my at-home Bug out Bag...I plan to keep it under 50lbs...but its beginning to look heavier.

·
Registered
102 Posts
My BOB is only 1/2 or so done & currently weighs 11lbs. There is no weapon in there currently (unless you count a few knives) or ammo in there. I have started a 2nd BOB for the wife & am splitting up the stuff & giving her the lighter stuff for her pack. Still adding things as money becomes available. If I were to add the ammo I plan on taking, I'd have a hard time picking up, much less carrying it. Have the ammo stored in my BOV in hidden areas.

·
Banned
62 Posts
30 lbs here, for indefinite survival, on the move if need be. Add another 20 lbs of guns, ammo, magazines, parts, cleaning gear, and soft body armor. You need a gallon of water a day, just to sit around and drink it. Best figure on 2 gallons a day if moving, cooking, cleanings. Have to have potable water for cleaning the inside and lips of cooking containers, you know.

·
Banned
62 Posts
don't figure on doing much shooting, especiallly without a sound suppressor. It will get you killed. You won't be able to practice, and you'd better not be out and about in daylight, anyway. Especially if you are not in thickly wooded, hilly country. You can be seen from miles away, thru a scope or binocs, and many of the desperate will have nothing better to do than to get closer to you, at night, and lay for you to stupidly expose yourself again in daylight.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Mine is about 30 pounds. I still need to improve my bag and dont want to go over 40 lbs. My wife's bag is only 15 lbs and i dont want her to have to carry more than 20 lbs. Her bag has the lighter cooler stuff. But if i did that for both our bags, i would be broke. Or broker. And i couldn't make her bag like mine since it will weigh half of her weight.

·
Registered
8 Posts
My problem is that I work 35 miles from home. So my GHB gets pretty heavy once everything that I think I need to get home is packed in it. I'm thinking at least a 2 day walk to get home. The more I think about things, I take them out of my BOB and put them in my GHB. It's almost to the point that my GHB is my everything bag.
Any thoughts and ideas about what I should do are welcome.

Tim

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
my bag is a whopping 35.6 lbs.
I have two as i will select some one on the way out who gets to live as i dont have a bf. mostly ammo and foods. the guns are on belts with holsters and slings which will be extra weight. yikes

1 - 16 of 16 Posts