Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
855 Posts
I like the "a .22 will kill you a lot farther then you can shoot it accurately" statement, no truer words have ever been spoken. I love the .22lr as much as the next guy and yes in a pinch it could be used on large game in an emergency situation or even in a defensive role if necessary but it would never be my first choice for either. Yes a .22 should be in everyone's arsenal but ideally I'd like to see some other firearms in there also. My biggest problem with the .22 in a defensive role is the reliability of ammunition. Rimfire cartridges are not known for being 100% reliable due to the priming method and I'd hate to see anyone end up dead due to badly primed round. Centerfires are much more reliable and let's face it, a 230gr JHP is going to incapacitate and attacker a whole lot sooner than any .22lr. Can the .22 be used sure it could and it may be the best choice for some shooters (especially if recoil management is an issue) but it is not the best choice for me in a defensive role or a medium-large game hunting scenario.

-Infidel

·
Registered
21,643 Posts
I have 22's but they would not be my go to weapon for defense.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The theory of .22 ammo being less reliable is a good subject in itself. The powder and primer composition is the same as various centerfire rounds, but it's said the cause of the problem is that the crimp used on rimfire ammo isn't as tight as used on centerfire. In a very humid environment enough moisture could wick into the casing to cause a failure to ignite.

LOTS of testing has been done to try to prove this can really happen on youtube, but they find it's a myth. The easy solution is to store your rimfire ammo & centerfire ammo as recommended in a cool dry place like an ammo can, or if your transporting it, in a ziploc bag to keep moisture out.

·
Registered
5,423 Posts
My philosophy is simple. If you are going to kill it, kill it! I bring the biggest caliber I can carry to every party. :)

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
This is really interesting to me, as I'm not very well versed in guns as a whole. It's cool to see what can be done, with a high level of skill. I don't really have enough ammo to practice with my guns yet. :( I can't wait until I can find some .22 bullets.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Recently I came to possess some .22 ammo that belonged to my grandfather and was found in an old box in the basement of my grandmother, then passed on to my mother who kept the box in her basement. I took them out to fire and about 1 in 5 failed to fire. This sounds pretty bad but my grandfather died in 1959, so the ammo was at least 55 years old and the basements were so damp that the box actually had mold on it. If you can get 80% to fire after that length of time in the manner that they were stored, think how long they would last if you took measures to keep them reasonably dry? If nothing else I usually dump a cup of rice in the bottom of my ammo cans to help absorb moisture.
The rice is a really good idea! I've always noticed CCI covers at least their Mini-Mags, and Maxi-Mags in some kind of thin layer of wax. They use a better crimp than many other brands to.

·
Registered
4,373 Posts
Prices are silly of course. I used to buy, from Cabellas, a plastic "ammo can" and 2100 rounds of federal for $79.99. I'd sometimes have to order 2 in order to get free shipping or it would be $15 shipping - oh darn. I heard they made this offer last week at about $99 and sold out in minutes or less than an hour - bummer. I actually really like those "plastic" ammo "can's" because they are quieter, bigger, and easier to carry then the metal one's. 2100 rounds would be enough to get me through a year of paper target killing as well as a few rattle snakes. The last two bundles I have of that I'm unwilling to break out right now.

·
Registered
2,608 Posts
ever go rabbit hunting with a 12 gauge and high brass number 4 lead.

It is a big waste of a good rabbit.

If you are looking to harvest food you do not shoot a chip munk with a 10 gauge,

use your head and keep the bravado in step with reality,

surviving does not consist of an action movie set.

·
Registered
855 Posts
The theory of .22 ammo being less reliable is a good subject in itself. The powder and primer composition is the same as various centerfire rounds, but it's said the cause of the problem is that the crimp used on rimfire ammo isn't as tight as used on centerfire. In a very humid environment enough moisture could wick into the casing to cause a failure to ignite.

LOTS of testing has been done to try to prove this can really happen on youtube, but they find it's a myth. The easy solution is to store your rimfire ammo & centerfire ammo as recommended in a cool dry place like an ammo can, or if your transporting it, in a ziploc bag to keep moisture out.
I've heard this theory before but the theory I like better is that it's due to inconsistencies in case rim thickness thus allowing less priming compound in some cartridges. This would explain why Federal bulk ammo seems to have fewer misfires than say Remington bulk ammo. I really have no idea which one is the correct theory but the rim thickness issue seems more plausible to me. In either event there are certain brands of ammunition that are more reliable than others and if you plan on using a .22 for defense I would definitely spend some time finding the most reliable brand of ammo in your particular firearm. I would also spend some time practicing failure drills for when Murphy's law kicks in.

-Infidel

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
What were you poaching!?
When I was younger before I had permission to hunt quite a few ranches, I have done my share of poaching. That was over 20yrs ago. I have killed many a deer with 22lr,22 mag and 22 hornet with a gun and light...Never said I was a saint..lol

1 - 20 of 28 Posts