Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New forum member here, I live in a cold weather climate and I want to keep a small survival kit in my car in case I get stranded due to weather, sliding off the road, whatever. I was wondering if anyone has a solution for keeping liquids in a cold weather climate. I'm always worried about my water or gatorade or whatever freezing. Which it does if I leave a bottle in the car for a few hours.
I can always keep dry goods and the like in my car and never have to worry about it, but I don't know what to do about potable liquids except take a few bottles with me wherever I go. Take them out when I get out, bring them inside, take them back out. It's annoying but is there any other option?

I'm open to other ideas for other good stuff to keep in the car too. Keep in mind I'm only looking for a small kit to last 2-3 days max.

·
Registered
3,514 Posts
In the winter ,,,,,,, when I get into my jeep I put the water on the floor in front were the heater is ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, just incase I need it ,,,,,,, it's ready to drink in about 10 mins. ,,,,,,,,,, I did read a few months back if you put warm water in on of the bags that keep food warm it works for a day or two ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, I don't know for sure on that one ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, the heater in my jeep will thaw a bottle water in 10 mins.

·
Super Moderator
9,041 Posts
I only use the 16 oz water bottles in the car during winter. They freeze without problems if kept top side up.
If you are in a snow belt, you can alway get off the road (to eliminate road chemicals) melt snow and use a
filter system.

·
Registered
3,604 Posts
add vodka
maybe try wrapping in a couple terry bath towels eventually they will freeze but it might take longer than a few hours

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
I carry Whisky it dont freeze

Reactions: cdell and Medic33

·
Registered
426 Posts
I just let them freeze. If I need one I throw it on the dash on defrost, this obviously won't work if the truck breaks down but if you are just stuck usually the engine is still running.

·
Registered
426 Posts
A metal camping cup would be useful as you could fill it with snow and put it over a can of sterno. I have the sterno but not the metal cup, I am going to have to get one.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Let it freeze and make sure you have a way to build a fire to thaw it. Too cold is better than too hot.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts