Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I mentioned on a different thread that I had terrible luck last year at my first stab at gardening. One thing that concerns me is the ever-growing deer population in my neighborhood.

Does anyone know a good way to keep the deer away from their garden? I heard coyote urine was an option, but I've never tried it myself. I don't think a fence is a viable option; however, if I can prove to myself that I do indeed have a green thumb, then I may give a greenhouse a try. Aquaponics is something that has me real curious: fish and vegetables in one spot. Real cool!

Thanks for any advice on keeping the deer away.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I saw at lowes one of those hoot owls, but I don't know if they are for deer or for rodents??? I would think that deer would be afraid of any noise or movement so I'm thinking about getting some pie pans or pop cans and tie them to tobacco stakes. Or a motion sensor type that will make a noise ($15 bucks or so). The ultimate would be woven wire mesh fence, but I'll try that next year after my first garden.

I would DIE to have a greenhouse! You are sooo lucky! I agree fish and veggies in one place. There was a nat geo episode that had a couple that did that. Way cool!

·
Banned
1,683 Posts
A string of beer cans or coke cans maybe tin cans but those are harder to rig up. It scares them. Also- mannequin or scarecrows that look real do the trick. a gun works too.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the input guys. I'll take a trip to the local hardware store this weekend and see if I can come up with some rigging material for the aluminum cans in my garage.

Leon said:
...a gun works too.
Man, you don't know how tempted I am to sqeeze off a round or two! These animals are growing in number and have become less afraid of humans. You can walk as close as 10 feet to them now and they barely acknowledge you. Even one of them could feed my family for 2 months. My yard has become one big salad bar and restroom for them.

Sidenote: NJ is one of the most unfriendly states regarding firearms. I took an NRA home defense course about 2 years ago and the one thing the instructor hammered home was that if you get caught discharging your firearm in a residential area - even if you are in your house and it is a life/death situation - you will be arrested and have your weapons seized. It's then up to you to legally prove you were justified in firing your gun (which means spending a ton of cash in legal defense).

·
Registered
9 Posts
The cans are a great idea. I'll rig a few up this year as well. I saw some deer repellant today and glanced at it, but didn't read about it. I'm sure its something that you can make at home anyway.

A thought. If deer do not like the scent of humans, then wouldn't it be a smart move to self urinate in a can (inside your bathroom) and pour it around the perimeter of your garden? I know its gross, but were talking about survival situations if you only had a garden to feed your family. Also, mount a full can of your urine on each side of the garden so that when it rains it doesn't wash out where you physically poured it out. The urine will still stay in the can. Just a thought.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I saw some deer in the field behind my sweet corn patch last year and became concerned. A few weeks later when the corn started coming up I noticed some of it was chomped off. I am not interested in feeding deer except maybe in November when they feed me. I went to Family Dollar and bought 6 cakes of Irish Spring soap. I broke each cake in half, drilled a hole through it and ran a string through the hole. I tied each cake to a peg about 18" long and planted a dozen of them into the ground throughout my corn patch. I read deer and rabbits don't like strong smells. It seemed to work because my corn was not bothered all summer. I will use that trick again this summer along with some balloons with eyes drawn on them. I saw these balloons in a gardening catalog for protecting strawberries and think they might help with deer too. When they pop, just make some more.

·
Registered
192 Posts
I fenced my garden to keep the deer away. You may want to try chimes or other noise makers. The other thing I found was that my game camera with flash scares them off after it takes a photo.

·
Registered
4 Posts
take some spoiled milk put an egg in itand some dish soap shake well set in sun for a few days then put in spray bottles and spray your garden after each rain. I also heard that dead deer parts would keep them from approaching. I would go with the cross bow idea myself.

·
Registered
13 Posts
We put cayenne pepper around the garden for deer & those pesky wabbits, seems to work.

·
Registered
5 Posts
One of the best deterrents for any animals is the smell of humans. Go to your local barrber shop with a gallon freezer bag and offer to sweep up hair, get a couple of bags if possible (EXPLAIN TO YOUR BARBER WHAT IT IS FOR!...lol...or else he will think you are just throwed off.) Sprinkle the hair around the perimeter of your garden once a week during gardening season, more if it rains between applications. Animals will think there is a human around or in the garden 24/7 and will stay away.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Better wipe down the bolt and broadhead to remove your prints first, and wear gloves while loading!

·
Registered
159 Posts
We have electric fence around ours 5 strands. No rabbits,woodchucks, nor deer.
We did the fence response as well. It was a little expensive to get set up, but definitely does the job. We now have rabbits in our back yard daily and the occasional deer wanders through. At this point I have no intention of discouraging their presence. They show only minimal concern for us moving around the property. I could stand on our deck and take either with my bow with no problem at all.

I went the distance of getting a bow-hunting license and in our state you're allowed to take deer on your own property if they present a threat to crops. I sort of regard them as free-range livestock to be harvested and processed when/if necessary. Until then we'll hope their numbers and comfort level increase.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts