Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 89 Posts

·
Premium Member
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How concerned are you with street gangs etc when the SHTF?

I saw a documentary recently on the Street gang MS13 and they seem well armed and with huge numbers across the country

I am sure the Bloods and Crips have serious numbers too

That said my friend tells me he thinks our biggest threat with WROL will be the biker gangs the 1%ers , they are organized, are not afraid to use violence and many of them have previous military experience

thoughts?

·
Registered
6,086 Posts
Gangs will try to take control of pockets of populated areas like they do now. They will be a threat in population dense areas but less so in the outlying areas. By the time you get to "rural" America the gangs will have little to no chance of survival. The reasons:

less "goods" to control
more guns per capita
people who still believe their property belongs to them.

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
I think the 'current' gangs wouldn't be nearly as much of an issue as the new gangs that form after SHTF.
I think this is true for those of us that do not live in close proximity to gang activity. For those in inner city, or very close to inner city, environments will likely be the first casualties as existing gangs go for low hanging fruit that requires little logistics to collect.

·
Premium Member
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think this is true for those of us that do not live in close proximity to gang activity. For those in inner city, or very close to inner city, environments will likely be the first casualties as existing gangs go for low hanging fruit that requires little logistics to collect.
well said

·
Senior Member R.I.P.
2,886 Posts
Rural areas will change little. A few thugs getting together & stealing. Difference will be citizens taking matters into their own hands.

·
Registered
4,373 Posts
The current gang structure will likely focus on inner cities - at least until they run out of resources.

·
Registered
5,423 Posts
Groups will form everywhere. What they decide to do will be the problem. I'm not afraid of them at all. They will quickly move on to an easier target. I have a good selection of shovels, two thousand acres of land and a bible. I need to learn the poetic benediction in Latin though. Don't be the aforementioned low hanging fruit. If a mob shows up, give them incentive to leave.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
They are already in the rural areas(More privacy to make meth). The originals with little chain link steering wheels and low slung vehicles stood out pretty well. Now they make a much greater effort to blend in. Also don't forget Reservation Gangs or the Nortenos who started out amongst immigrant fruit pickers and still do part of their recruiting there. They are not as numerous as the Surenos but they are more selective and tighter knit.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
I'm afraid anyone who doesn't consider "gangs" a threat, hasn't had any interaction with teenagers lately! Not your kid when their sitting at home. I'm talking about ANY group of them when mom & dad aren't around.

An isolated home / cabin can easily be in more danger than typical suburb houses. Inner city life I think most agree will be a total loss. KNOW YOUR NEIGHBORS! You don't have to be best friends. Just have an idea what their mentality is. Take your dog for a walk and stop to say "Hi" to people. Won't be long before you know who you'll be dealing with, and who you can trust.

My thoughts are that the safest home is one where several neighboring homes are close enough to hear a gun shot. If you isolate yourself, what are you going to do against any chimp smart enough to pick you off with a scoped rifle? Any given day someone in your family is going to step outside for one reason or another... BANG! The rest of the family comes running to aid the victim... BANG! BANG! BANG! Game over for everyone in your home. With a little luck (FOR YOU ANYWAY!) this happens to a neighbor first. You hear the shots and are made aware of the threat. How you handle it from there is a whole other thread! This is only ONE situation where your neighbors can be your shield.

My point is no matter where you are there will eventually be some level of "gang activity" sooner or later. If over time your neighbors become aware that your "a nice, neighborhood contentious guy", carry a gun, knife, various other goodies, and know how to defend yourself... As soon as ONE person finds out... People talk! The gangs will pick an easier target before they resort to messing with you. Giving you an opportunity to eliminate any threat before it eliminates you.

Still think there's ANY safety in isolating yourself (rural living)? Watch the movie "The Strangers"...

·
Registered
4,692 Posts
I feel that any "world without law", there will be mobs of people, not an assosiated gang, just people "working together" to rob, steal and rape. They will loot pillage and burn..But, like someone stated above, they have plenty of land..
If it gets crazy wherever i am, be it Albequerque or Farmington, I hope to CHRIST my family is safe, for a few weeks or a month, it will be a shooting gallery.

·
Registered
4,692 Posts
Yes BCS-interesting handle by the way, I personally would rather be in "the sticks" than the city. One of the reasons you mentioned were "snipers", and yes there will be snipers, but in a city, there is so much more area to conceal, in the country, most people cant walk without sounding like an elephant, so my chances are better. Plus, I would be a hermit if I could, SWISS FAMILY ROBINSON would be awesome to me and my little family..

·
Premium Member
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Some friends of mine are concerned with "rogue" police after the SHTF

Even in the film mad max some of the Lord Humungus gang have police uniforms on.

·
Registered
353 Posts
I have no doubt there’ll be gang threats of various types depending on where you live. I spent half of my adult life living very rural with no neighbors for a couple miles each way down road. We experienced all kinds of lawless behavior (theft, poaching, reckless disregard for people or property, direct intent to do harm, etc) all because Law Enforcement was spread incredibly thin. Gangs won’t have to make it to the rural areas… there’s already people there that will use the opportunity to become animals. I wouldn’t want to live that rural in a SHTF situation… too easy to be singled out, burned out and taken out.

We now live in a small town in a fairly densely populated state, but half the men on our street are ex-military, hunters or fire and rescue types that help each other out when necessary on a regular basis. If gangs become aggressive in our area, they won’t be any worse than the brutal violent backwoods types we’ve encountered. I feel we have a much better chance of covering each other, whether it’s snipers or snatch and run thieves that happen through. We’re well armed, moderately trained, know our local LEO’s and are pretty closely knit. It’s a formula that works for me. I wouldn’t think of going rural again.

·
Mod Squad
2,260 Posts
The only gangs I would be afraid of would be National Guard or Army units. If it gets to the point where they are no longer being supplied by the government, they would have little choice but to scrounge for food and supplies like everyone else. The only difference is that they would be equipped with body armor, serious weapons, and good communications gear, and have the skills, tactical training, and mindset to operate as a cohesive unit.

·
Registered
966 Posts
What is the difference between the National Guard and The Boy Scouts? The Boy Scouts have adult leadership.

·
Registered
4,692 Posts
True on the NG and/or Army, and probably a few "questionable cops", Like on Texas chainsaw Massacre's where he "becomes" sherriff. I cant worry, but I can be concerned, in fact, just ordered MORE .40 ammo a few minutes ago..With propper storage my precious metals investement should be ok until 2014.

·
Banned
2,112 Posts
They may be an issue at first, but the only thing that is keeping them alive now is the fact it's illegal for us law abiding citizens to simply shoot them. With that restriction removed, in your scenario, I think it will be open season on anyone who wants to act like a bunch of sh*t heads.

I give them less than 3 weeks before people have had enough of them and begin the disposal process. Besides, the safest place you can be is in front of them. They can't hit what they're shooting at.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Some friends of mine are concerned with "rogue" police after the SHTF

Even in the film mad max some of the Lord Humungus gang have police uniforms on.
AWESOME point! How easy are people going to fall in the trap if one or two guys show up knocking at your door wearing Police uniforms (real cops or not) saying something like. "Hello, Police. We're here to help. Please open the door so we can so we can make sure everyones ok, and we can offer you supplies and safety information." They then proceed to pop everyone inside in the head and loot the place. :(

1 - 20 of 89 Posts