Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've always been a horse lover, my dad, not so much. He thinks they'll be too much work, which may be true but that's just a part of it.

We for sure have the space to have one, or a few lol, no doubt. I've been telling my dad, "What if something happens to where we can't pay for fuel anymore because it becomes so expensive? Or whatever else might happen that would cause us to not be able to use our vehicles? What will we use for transportation?" He doesn't like to think of it that way, he doesn't think something like that would happen so he sees no use for a horse.

I'm not saying they wouldn't be a lot of work, I know they can be expensive, especially at first. With buying a horse, fencing, a smaller barn for it, riding gear, etc. But after that, you're pretty much playing for feed and a fairer.

If I was able to get a horse, I'd get a Paint or Quarter horse most likely.

Does anyone have horses that could give me some more info that I may have left out? Or maybe some other good reasons to have a horse or two?

Any info really would be helpful. Thanks!

·
Registered
23 Posts
A horse is gonna be expensive to feed due to the recent drought this summer. I've been told some folks are pretty much giving them away because they're getting to where they can't afford to feed them. Same reason the price of beef is going up. Its a good idea, I always said I was gonna get a horse cause of gas prices, then I'm like, oh yeah, they gotta eat, more than a dog. That gives me an idea, a dog sled, lol, not here in the midwest though. Maybe you could fashion one with wheels, sounds crazy.

horse feed price going up - Google Search

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
A horse is gonna be expensive to feed due to the recent drought this summer. I've been told some folks are pretty much giving them away because they're getting to where they can't afford to feed them. Same reason the price of beef is going up. Its a good idea, I always said I was gonna get a horse cause of gas prices, then I'm like, oh yeah, they gotta eat, more than a dog. That gives me an idea, a dog sled, lol, not here in the midwest though. Maybe you could fashion one with wheels, sounds crazy.

horse feed price going up - Google Search
True, so I guess it would be a good time to get them cheap lol. I'm sure prices will go down once next year rolls around, I'm gonna say that it won't be as dry as this year. Hopefully..

And it is a bigger animal so I agree that it can get expensive to feed them. But that's just apart of owning one I suppose.

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
a horse can cost you 350-600 per month if you need boarding. then you have vet, farrier, tack etc... alwasy have two/ or where they can see or be with each other. a goat is a good second horse :) if you are going to get one. horses are social animals.

quarters have a good head on them. i wouldnt get a mustage. its like riding A jackhammer.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
a horse can cost you 350-600 per month if you need boarding. then you have vet, farrier, tack etc... alwasy have two/ or where they can see or be with each other. a goat is a good second horse :) if you are going to get one. horses are social animals.

quarters have a good head on them. i wouldnt get a mustage. its like riding A jackhammer.
Vet, I knew I was forgetting something.. lol A family friend of yours, he and his wife are both vets and they always help us out with our animals. They either charge cheap or no charge, it's pretty nice. And I wouldn't be boarding, we have the land to own some. And I would most likely end up getting a goat haha unless my family wouldn't mind having a couple horses.

Ya I've always heard that too, and LOL! definitely would avoid getting a mustang for sure hahaha

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Goats would be good. They mow your lawn and provide great milk!
Haha I've heard! I've never tried their milk. My aunt has goats, one is a Pygmy and those are my favorite. That's what I would probably get if I get any. Maybe my dad would let me start off with a goat then work my way up into larger livestock, AKA a horse hahaha

1 - 7 of 7 Posts